shape
carat
color
clarity

violet spinel

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
So, I thought I should report back on how the meeting with Leon went.

Overall I guess it went pretty well. Lots of security but that's to be expected. He's quite personable, and younger than I thought he'd be. Rachel was very nice and is stunning, too!

The SO wanted to accompany me, so he and Leon talked football.

I was pretty worried about what Leon would think of my spinel. He was very curious about why I chose it, but when I explained about wanting something very different in a color I loved and ethically sourced, he seemed to understand and even to agree with me. (Although he did counter with the point that it's not just diamonds that people get hurt for, it can even be platinum or gold.) He asked what we paid for the stone and he told us it was a really good price. (Thanks Ed.)

He said that he enjoyed spinels. If it were up to him, he'd surround it with diamonds as he thinks that's the best background for colored stones, but I didn't want that and he didn't press the subject at all.

Got my ring size measured, weirdly I'm a 6 1/2, instead of a 7 or 8 like I thought. Leon brought out a box of rings that was simply mesmerizing, even for a non-diamond lover like myself. It was very helpful to see the designs (and claw prongs) in person.

Leon wanted to go with platinum of course, double claw prongs (yes!) and a very low cathedral setting. The SO agreed with that strongly as it looked far more protective of the stone. Leon did give a serious warning about being careful with my ring as spinels are less hard than diamonds.

I enjoyed making a trip up to NYC to deliver the spinel (we made a fun weekend out of it with museums and restaurants and fancy cocktails and such), but the finished ring will get shipped, as the sales tax would be significantly more than shipping.

Overall I liked him. He seems very smart, and he seems to think of ideas from many angles. He would not shy away from playing the devil's advocate. In our meeting we discussed science, books, and the aforementioned football. His sense of humor is pretty dry. I found our meeting quite pleasant, but I can see how dealing with him over email, you could lose some of the nuances. I'd recommend meeting with him in person if possible.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
It's a beauty! Can't wait to see the finished product. :appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, glad to hear it all went well, looking forward to the results!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to not overthink this too much. But I just nodded and went for simple, simple, simple. I wonder if I should have tried to have more going on?

Looking on his website, there are only two items that I would have potentially used aspects of the design:

e026.jpg

The basket shape on these earrings is interesting.

r667-11Ww.jpg
And I kind of love the diamond detailing on this pearl ring.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Time to update - I got my spinel back today, set in its ring!

Leonbox.jpg

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Here it is looking very much purple.

Lookingpurple.jpg

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I really like how it turned out. Very simple and wearable.

claws.jpg

violet.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its really pretty!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! :cheeky: Thanks for sharing! I love how it turned out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! :love: the stone works so well with that setting!

-A

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that looks very nice, congrats!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! Simple and elegant and soo wearable. Congrats on your beautiful new ring with your stormy, sparkly, beauty! Are you excited? More PICS please!!! Gallery and shank. Do you love it? I love it! I am very excited about your ring. :appl: :appl: :appl: :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ladyvengeance, that's the most rounded description of Leon I've ever read, great job. I haven't dealt with him (yet) but have read plenty of experiences here. Anyway -- your stone is so so nice & I feel like I'm on almost as much pins & needles as you are, waiting to see what Leon does with it. Ed is a nice guy to work with, isn't he? The green tourm I bought from him is much nicer than his pic, IRL, the cut thrills me (as does yours!), and I also like his attitude about where he buys.

Congratulations on a successful e-ring project & it'll be super to see the finished product!

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Enjoy your ring--it's lovely!

cheers--Sharon

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and a very interested setting.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! Those claws are killer! I like the simplicity of the setting, it let's your beautiful stone be the star of the show. I adore colored stone solitaires, even more than diamond solitaires, gasp :lol: .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That is really beautiful. Congrats!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Wow, truly stunning! I love the contrast between the metal and the stone. Sublime!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
This is OT, but what polish are you wearing? It looks great with your stone!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone looks wonderful in its new home! Congrats!
The prongs look a bit larger than what Leon normally does-- did you ask for that? They look fabulous! I always liked his pointy claw prongs but also worried that they were a bit tiny and might not hold onto the stone very well. I had a stone set by him last summer and the prongs are almost invisible which is nice in the sense that the gem appears to be floating, but I find myself constantly checking to make sure it's secure! Would you believe I'm actually planning on eventually having the prongs replaced :shock: !

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Please excuse my lateness in replying. I have been doing some traveling this month.

Thank you so much for the compliments! They are really very much appreciated. Especially as I've gotten some...mixed reviews in real life. Lots of traditional folks don't know what to say when they see a non-diamond engagement ring, evidently. (Hmmph.)

Babynurse - I did tell Leon when I met with him that I was specifically there for the claw prongs! I don't know whether that aided in the claw size decision. A funny detail to add - one of my favorite necklaces is a large silver talon, and I made sure to wear it to our meeting to drive home the point.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I tried to get a pic of the side so you could see the cathedral structure of the ring.

resizedspinelhorse.jpg

resizedspinelhorsesideview.jpg

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
This is for pixies!

I love nail polish in general, and I have been amassing a collection of favorites to compliment the color of my ring.

I'm pretty sure the polish from those first pictures would be Essie Chinchilly. It's the one with the white cap in the left foreground.

spinelpluspolish.jpg

spinelandessie.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results