shape
carat
color
clarity

very nice red spinel is here...

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
With all do respect Steve, there are dozens of reasons why I would not consider buying that stone, and I am one that DOES occasionally take chances on unknowns on ebay.

First off, it's the same stone/pictures as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-40ct-GORGEOUS-NATURAL-UNHEATED-CUSHION-RED-SPINEL-/360256232373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e0f1dbb5

So if you really want the stone, you can see what they will accept an offer on this lower price on their other site....

Second - the stone is perfectly calibrated which would make me worry that is in not a natural stone... yes, some spinels may be cut to a perfectly calibrated size, but it doesn't often happen in native cut stones coming out of Thailand (check out Tan's spinels as an example).

All of the positive feedback on the first website is for very inexpensive stones and when I came upon postive feedback on the second site for $200 for a set of "natural" rubies http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360243175098&si=IlbuWzzpKADg61Z5YrclN2Im7Io%253D&viewitem= every bell in my head went off and said "run"....

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
colorluvr-i saw the same post for the lesser money-iv seen this done on the same stone usually with a buyitnow price or a buy or offer price listing-usually the dates or length of time on the web are such that the listings overlap so the seller gets max time for sales-as iv said b4 any stones i buy are checked at least twice by independents-iv done well in the past & dont throw caution to the wind-thanks for ur responce-steve

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve,
That stone will be very dark and very brownish red in person. It's not a good price on something that can be had in a pyrope garnet color for $20/ct. I would not recommend that stone.

You seem to like very dark toned stones, and when I first started collecting, I did too. That is because I often confused saturation with dark tone, as many newbie collectors do. I recommend you do some reading up on the difference in saturation vs tone. While one can affect the other, they are not the same thing. I apologize if I offend you, but I just want to help. If you like dark toned, desaturated stones, then that's what you like, and I really can't change your mind.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
TL-no offense ever taken from anyone who responds-good or bad-iv had very positive responces with items shown or examed by trades people & i know deals are to b had-thats whats good about the web sites i use-more poeple should look beyond the box-steve... :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results