shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys, my first experience buying from Jeff Davies and yet another example of how his photo setup can massively skew stone appearance -- sometimes. I bought two stones, a grey asscher spinel (which looked like I expected, although it had a window which hadn't shown up in the photo or video but will probably close on setting), and an unheated color-change sapphire which is reproduced below in all its disappointingness.

Vendor pictures:
screen_shot_2016-03-08_at_14.png
screen_shot_2016-03-08_at_14_0.png

The certificate included with it showed the color shift from green to purple, which I love and was very excited about (I had a sapphire which did this and I lost it! :nono: ), but showed the stone somewhat darker -- though the photos reproduced on the cert were of very poor quality, with the gem shown approx actual size.

In person, it is black-dark, with flashes of purple in incandescent light and flashes of grey-green in daylight. The green is showing much more saturated in photos than it does in person; it's a subtly-green grey. The purple is there, but again, only in flashes. The gem is nearly lifeless in most lights, despite its skillful cutting.

imag2063_1.jpg
imag2062_1.jpg
imag2060_1.jpg

And the most glamorous photo I could manage - which doesn't at all reflect reality; the green is much more subtle in person, although the amount of "on" facets is right - taken in bright afternoon sunlight diffused through sheer curtains:
imag2056_1_1.jpg

Hugely disappointed. I've already sent it back, via the "not as described" mechanism on eBay; I don't know if I'll be reimbursed for the shipping or not (though I should if "not as described") but it's so hard with gemstones -- knowing what I did about this seller, I anticipated it would be darker than his photos shown, but I would never have bought a stone so dark it looks black in most indoor lighting situations. Of course Jeff has been perfectly cordial in all the interactions needed so far to return the stone, including helpful detailed instructions for method of shipping and whatnot. Just, I so wish I could have gotten the stone in his pictures, instead of the stone in mine!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 3.67 carat spinel from Jim McCormick that he described as teal, slightly greyish. In the worst lighting (lowest house light) it is a beautiful blue/violet/grey with light blue flash. Medium house light (no pics) it is blue with lighter blue flash. Outdoors it is teal blue. When the sun hits it (sorry no sun pics, only saw it in bright sunlight for about 10 minutes here in Ohio) it brightens to a metallic teal. I have been looking for a blue spinel that brightens and does not darken in sunlight. Very happy with this one.

jim_spinel.jpg
003_11.jpg
008_9.jpg

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Your spinel is GORGEOUS!!! Very true to the seller's pictures!!! :D

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
I was hesitant to reply to this post, but a new PS friend encouraged me to after I posted these pictures on the LIW thread. These are pictures of my GORGEOUS Montana Sapphire :) :love:

This stone is a cut corner square brilliant Montana Sapphire measuring 6mmx5.95mm that was cut by and purchased from Dana Reynolds of Mastercutgems.com. Somewhere on his website he mentions the exact lighting conditions in which he photographs his stones, but I can't remember exactly what they were other than outdoor light.
These pictures are the ones that were posted on the website:
35514.jpg
35516.jpg
screenshot_20160310-192834.png

These are pictures that we took after we received my sapphire:
this photo was the first one we took when we received the stone in the mail. It was taken under florescent office lighting;
attach3035_20160205_171020.jpg

The next two are taken inside, but with natural light coming through windows.
img_20160206_165013.jpg
attach4257_20160313_181301.jpg

The pictures are very different, and we were initially kind of disappointed when we received my sapphire because it looked so little like the pictures from the website. However, after viewing the stone in many different kind of light, we fell even more in love with it than we did when it was on the website. The pictures that we took really do not do it justice. It is SO BEAUTIFUL! It stays predominately sea-foam green in indoor lighting, in direct sunlight it's a deep cornflower blue. In indirect outdoor light it's a luminous mint green. Just today when we took it out of the safe, every which way it was turned the stone shifted color and sparkled differently. My sapphire is BEAUTIFULLY cut, and it reflects beautiful yellowish "flashes" which indicates that it's going to look gorgeous set in yellow gold, I think.

I wish we had a way to really reflect how pretty this stone really is. We tried to capture it's beauty by taking some pictures outside, but the cameras on our phones do not even begin to do this tone justice. This stone is truly a masterpiece. Every single bit as beautiful in person as it is on Dana's website, and I can't wait to be able to wear it every day :D :love: :appl: :dance:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy to see your pics of this stone :) I felt similarly about mine at first, but ended up falling for it's "moodiness" and personality. Yours looks really beautiful and I can't wait to see how it looks in a ring!

PickieBee

Rough_Rock
evergreen|1457478694|4001787 said:
Hey guys, my first experience buying from Jeff Davies and yet another example of how his photo setup can massively skew stone appearance -- sometimes. I bought two stones, a grey asscher spinel (which looked like I expected, although it had a window which hadn't shown up in the photo or video but will probably close on setting), and an unheated color-change sapphire which is reproduced below in all its disappointingness.

Vendor pictures:
screen_shot_2016-03-08_at_14.png
screen_shot_2016-03-08_at_14_0.png

The certificate included with it showed the color shift from green to purple, which I love and was very excited about (I had a sapphire which did this and I lost it! :nono: ), but showed the stone somewhat darker -- though the photos reproduced on the cert were of very poor quality, with the gem shown approx actual size.

In person, it is black-dark, with flashes of purple in incandescent light and flashes of grey-green in daylight. The green is showing much more saturated in photos than it does in person; it's a subtly-green grey. The purple is there, but again, only in flashes. The gem is nearly lifeless in most lights, despite its skillful cutting.

imag2063_1.jpg
imag2062_1.jpg
imag2060_1.jpg

And the most glamorous photo I could manage - which doesn't at all reflect reality; the green is much more subtle in person, although the amount of "on" facets is right - taken in bright afternoon sunlight diffused through sheer curtains:
imag2056_1_1.jpg

Hugely disappointed. I've already sent it back, via the "not as described" mechanism on eBay; I don't know if I'll be reimbursed for the shipping or not (though I should if "not as described") but it's so hard with gemstones -- knowing what I did about this seller, I anticipated it would be darker than his photos shown, but I would never have bought a stone so dark it looks black in most indoor lighting situations. Of course Jeff has been perfectly cordial in all the interactions needed so far to return the stone, including helpful detailed instructions for method of shipping and whatnot. Just, I so wish I could have gotten the stone in his pictures, instead of the stone in mine!

Wow, that's so disappointing! I had that stone saved in my eBay watch list. If it had been true to the pictures you would have had a beautiful piece :(

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imcriss- I can see why you fell in love with your Montana Sapphire. It is gorgeous! :love:

Evergreen-I can see why you returned this stone. Thanks for posting it on this thread.

luvbean

Rough_Rock
I'm new to pricescope and love this thread!!!!

Here's my padparascha from Natural Sapphire Company. As you can see, their photo was more peach than the real thing which was more pink. Also, there was a scratch on the bottom of the stone. I could feel it with my nail. It wasn't noticeable from the top UNLESS you knew it was there. Once I found it, I could even spot it on the vendor photo. Customer service was awesome and we received our refund the same day the sapphire was delivered to them.

stone_13.jpg

img_3543.jpg
img_5802.jpg img_5803_0.jpg
img_5804.jpg

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a disappointment! Sorry your stone didn't work out for you :( have you posted on any other threads any others you're interested in?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought this 9.02ct Namibian Chalcedony from AC stones - 14.1mm square cushion - Barry's photo is spot-on (as I find has been true for all my purchases from him) - here's the vendor photo:

acs_-_bc-1602g_684_general.jpg

And here's a couple of my photos:

dsc02169_-_ps.jpg

dsc02166_-_ps.jpg

And, of course, it is a keeper! I've been searching for a Chalcedony in this particular color and translucency in a cushion shape for a couple of years now, so I'm very happy to have come across this beauty. I'll have it set simply, likely in 14kt Yellow Gold which so far I've found is the most complementary to this cab.

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1460315041|4017682 said:
I just bought this 9.02ct Namibian Chalcedony from AC stones - 14.1mm square cushion - Barry's photo is spot-on (as I find has been true for all my purchases from him) - here's the vendor photo:

acs_-_bc-1602g_684_general.jpg

And here's a couple of my photos:

dsc02169_-_ps.jpg

dsc02166_-_ps.jpg

And, of course, it is a keeper! I've been searching for a Chalcedony in this particular color and translucency in a cushion shape for a couple of years now, so I'm very happy to have come across this beauty. I'll have it set simply, likely in 14kt Yellow Gold which so far I've found is the most complementary to this cab.

Such a beautiful stone! Congrats on your great find and the end of your search! Can't wait to see it when you have it set!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems cut this beautiful Electric Blue Topaz. I took a risk by not being able to see the stone in real life. I love the vendor pic, but I love love love the stone even more in real life.
I would rate Doug's pics as 'more or less accurate' as this is the third stone I have from him that is even more stunning in real life. The topaz seems to be a lighter hue and more vibrant in real life.

Setting by Victor Canera: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-goes-electric-and-blue.222147/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-goes-electric-and-blue.222147/[/URL]

_3071.jpeg

_3072.jpeg

_3073.jpeg

_3074.jpeg

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1460744591|4019763 said:
Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems cut this beautiful Electric Blue Topaz. I took a risk by not being able to see the stone in real life. I love the vendor pic, but I love love love the stone even more in real life.
I would rate Doug's pics as 'more or less accurate' as this is the third stone I have from him that is even more stunning in real life. The topaz seems to be a lighter hue and more vibrant in real life.

Setting by Victor Canera: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-goes-electric-and-blue.222147/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-goes-electric-and-blue.222147/[/URL]

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Congrats on such a beautiful find! :love:

luvbean

Rough_Rock
lmcriss|1458866111|4010657 said:
Wow, what a disappointment! Sorry your stone didn't work out for you :( have you posted on any other threads any others you're interested in?

No, I haven't posted any others. I was actually able to find a great sapphire. It's being appraised right now (purchased at wholesale and I wanted to be sure of what it was and the value) and I can't wait for the appraisal to be complete so I can proceed with the next step!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just bought a garnet from Jason Brim and it came today! His pics first:
944899_10154060101552230_3540251255910261367_n.jpg
12993381_10154060100892230_4935707282191117329_n.jpg

And here are mine
20160416_165206.jpg 20160416_115236.jpg

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
I just received this today and while the cut is lovely, the color is very brown and not at all peach pink like the vendor photo shows. I photographed it in every type of light but could not get it to even come close to a color I could live with :( very disappointing
2.68ct tourmaline from Jeff Davies

_3117.jpeg

_3118.jpeg

_3119.jpeg

_3120.jpeg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom- The color of your topaz is just as nice as it was presented in the vendor's photo. Well done! :appl:

Lovedogs- Your garnet looks better then pictured. I love how it glows. You must be very pleased! :)

KellyAshley- I can see why you are disappointed. The tourmaline is lovely- but I do not see much resemblance in color with the vendor's pics. I look at Lovedog's garnet and see a stone which IMHO the color is better than pictured. A pleasant surprise for her. With your purchase the color is so different from the picture that it must be a let down. So sorry.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Thanks LisaRN. Live and learn I suppose!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy it's now my turn to play!
First the vendor photos

Then mine

_1132.png

_3204.jpeg

_3205.jpeg

_3206.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse the sideways!
These are not so great photos...

Thanks for looking!

_3207.jpeg

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
luvbean|1460784422|4019929 said:
lmcriss|1458866111|4010657 said:

No, I haven't posted any others. I was actually able to find a great sapphire. It's being appraised right now (purchased at wholesale and I wanted to be sure of what it was and the value) and I can't wait for the appraisal to be complete so I can proceed with the next step!

Yay! Can't wait to see pictures!! :D

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Rfisher|1461160843|4021631 said:
Excuse the sideways!
These are not so great photos...

Thanks for looking!

WOW! :love: Love that stone and the design!! So elegant!

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1460744591|4019763 said:

Your stone and your VC ring are absolutely STUNNING!! How do you not just stare at it all day!! :D

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pastel Pyrope Color-Change Garnet from Jeff at earthstreasury.com

No extinction at all. Well saturated. Dances in all lighting. Vendor description is true.
2nd photo shows color dead on, 3 photo shows color change hot pink, 4 photo show hot pink

_37044.jpg

_37045.jpg

_37046.jpg

20160425_171818-2.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling|1461715479|4023968 said:
Pastel Pyrope Color-Change Garnet from Jeff at earthstreasury.com

No extinction at all. Well saturated. Dances in all lighting. Vendor description is true.
2nd photo shows color dead on, 3 photo shows color change hot pink, 4 photo show hot pink

SO beautiful ZB!!! :love: My gosh, that color is just gorgeous and the cut is amazing! Looks fab in the halo, I love it! :clap:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seriously beautiful ring! :clap:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vendor photos (Yvonne Raley). Brazilian paraiba. Described by vendor as neon turquoise, very bright.
il_570xn_185.jpg il_570xn_174.jpg

my photos (I think my phone slightly amps up the saturation, but it's pretty accurate compared to what I see in real life and much better than the vendor photos.)
mrsbox3_0.jpg profile_7.jpg

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
My tourmaline for my ring project arrived yesterday and I love it! I purchased the stone from Master Cut Gems and I feel the vendor pictures accurately represented the stone in real life. :bigsmile:

Vendor picture:

My pictures:

29070.jpg

img_11646.jpg

img_11647.jpg

img_11648.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendor pic from Dan Stair after the re-cut to make the stone less deep:

293Spessartite.jpg

My pics:

1462675518031.jpg

I'm super impressed with Dan's ability to re-cut without losing too much carat weight. And I think his pics didnt even come close to doing this stone justice! I hope anyone who see's Dan's pics realizes that the stones are often SO much more "alive" in person :) I was worried that the stone was too orange after the re-cut and wouldn't have that "ember glow" type thing. But definitely those concerns were unfounded and I am thrilled with the outcome. Just wanted anyone who's contemplating a stone by Dan to see this and be confident that he's incredible! :appl: :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.45 carat spinel from Jim McCormick.9.37 mm x 7.62 mm. He described the color as lavender-lilac, Light toned bluish purple, grayish. I don't really see the blue as much, only in some lighting. Most of the time it's a straight purple. In bright lighting it gives off reddish flashes. It's very pretty and was reasonably priced so it's a keeper. Vendor photo in natural light, my photo in office fluorescent. I found the vendor photo more accurate than the video in this case.

167_0.jpg 2016-05-10_09.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results