shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of amethyst

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the approx. value of this stone if it were to be sold?

I have the original jewelry bag it came in and it says 7.40 ct.

Here''s a photo. . .I''ll try and post another.

amethyst12.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the bottom. . .I have pictures showing looking at the stone face up held up to the window. Much better shots of the stone except a bunch of lint is showing up.

Before cleaning the stone and all that, I am hoping to get an idea of if it''s worth $20 or possibly $200.

Thanks! (This is the first time using macro mode on my camera, so forgive if they''re a bit blurry!)

amethystunderside.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if it is synthetic or real?
It appears to be light in saturation and dark in tone, but I cannot tell for sure because your picture is also dark as well.
I would guess it to be not worth very much.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're not the best of photos. I'll take a few outside. (I know nothing about colored stones, but do think it doesn't have much saturation.)

I do love the stone, but it's too big for me. I guess it could be recut?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Unless it''s a collectors amethyst, which means it came from certain location(ie. JXR, Brandberg, or original siberian(not color but location) from ealry 1900''s or even an american ammy deposit) then it is probably not worth much. 85% of all cut ammy''s come from Brazil and they are a dime a dozen. If it has a good red flash(like a zambian) or a good blue flash then it will be worth more. I just sold 4 10+ct ammy''s at a gem and min. show this last weekend for 5 bucks each.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, thanks! It doesn''t have any spectacular flashes. My dad paid $35 for it about 20 years ago.

I have a bunch of colored stones - green sapphires and various other stuff that I was thinking of selling if anything of it has decent value.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yea fill us in on what you have..if most of it is 20+ years old or older there is a chance you might have something that is not around anymore

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I mean by a top color ammy. This stone comes from my beloved JXR here in georgia. It''s a friend of mine''s stone that she hand dug herself. She apologized for the fingerprints on the stone. You can see the blue color that the stone imparts. This stone will fetch anywhere from 50-75 dollars a ct.. i love the color

jxr top color1.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, that is really yummy! Sure makes my stone look grayish and dull! lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:57:48 PM
Author: amethystguy
Here is what I mean by a top color ammy. This stone comes from my beloved JXR here in georgia. It''s a friend of mine''s stone that she hand dug herself. She apologized for the fingerprints on the stone. You can see the blue color that the stone imparts. This stone will fetch anywhere from 50-75 dollars a ct.. i love the color
Yummy color, reminds me of my big 13 carat Zambian trillion. My stone is very blue as well. The African stones tend to impart more blue color, and the Four Peaks stones tend to impart more red to my knowledge. This is from Georgia, and I didn''t even know Georgia had amethyst.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That amethyst looks better than most tanzanite I see. It resembles tanzanite a great deal.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
believe it or not this stone came from the same place as the other I one I posted. The rough for this 25ct. one was dug by the owner of the mine. Georgia amethyst is how I got the name amethysguy and it's what started me on the path to rocks, gems, and minerals. Don't get me started on how great JXR ammy's are.....
9.gif
Rodney Moore photo(owner)

jxr ammy owners stone.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh yea forgot to add on that first ammy I posted ..That stone is an 11.2 carat cut by Ed Canseler done in a trig trillion in the picture it is not mounted it is sitting in the prongs of a gem grabber. shot in sunlight

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my Zambian. I bought this around 15 years ago. It's a checkerboard trillion faceted that way on all surfaces. It's very blue, but still has the red flashes. This picture was taken in early morning sunlight. What is your honest opinion Amguy?

TLzambianamethyst3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 12:48:31 AM
believe it or not this stone came from the same place as the other I one I posted. The rough for this 25ct. one was dug by the owner of the mine. Georgia amethyst is how I got the name amethysguy and it's what started me on the path to rocks, gems, and minerals. Don't get me started on how great JXR ammy's are.....
9.gif
Rodney Moore photo(owner)
Now that is a much more red stone. That's really nice!!

I hope the OP got their question answered because we're taking over the thread with pictures of amethyst. Sorry!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I am partial to the zambian material and that my friend is a good colored stone. Like you said... very blue with flashes of red. These are examples to help show MC what an amethyst that is more expensive would look like. Amethyst is a very common gemstone but there are exceptions to the rule. Lets see that green sapphire when you get a chance MC

AlexSmith

Rough_Rock
Correct me if wrong but based on my experience a small 3 ct stone can cost up to USD 5 per carat whereas a high quality big size amethyst gem stone could cost up to 50 USD per carat.

The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.

ways to make money online and uk make money Bradford, England

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 4:55:09 AM
Author: AlexSmith
Correct me if wrong but based on my experience a small 3 ct stone can cost up to USD 5 per carat whereas a high quality big size amethyst gem stone could cost up to 50 USD per carat.

The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.

Not true. With amethyst, value is all about color. I''ve seen ten carat amethysts sell for $10 for the whole stone, and I''ve seen 2 carat amethysts sell for $50/ct. In these cases, the pricing was due to the color. Amguy can correct me if I''m wrong. Brazilian amethyst is typically the least expensive due to the lackluster color that typically come from these mines. However, the market is flooded with Brazilian amethyst. I suspect MC''s amethyst is Brazilian as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AM,
Your amethysts are beautiful; rich but not dark with good red and blue flash. They are great examples of fine quality amethysts.
TL,
Now it’s my turn to embarrass you but I have a feeling you aren’t easily embarrassed. Your amethyst has good colour and I don’t say this lightly because I truly dislike checkerboard cuts, so for me to say this…well, let’s say the colour is good enough for me to be able to ignore the cutting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 4:55:09 AM
Author: AlexSmith

Alex Smith,
I wish that is true so that I would not have paid so much for my pair of Uruguay amethysts earrings. They are only 1.7 carats each and cost much more than $5/ct. I believe you need to add another zero behind that figure.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 8:02:07 AM
Author: Chrono

AM,
Your amethysts are beautiful; rich but not dark with good red and blue flash. They are great examples of fine quality amethysts.

TL,
Now it’s my turn to embarrass you but I have a feeling you aren’t easily embarrassed. Your amethyst has good colour and I don’t say this lightly because I truly dislike checkerboard cuts, so for me to say this…well, let’s say the colour is good enough for me to be able to ignore the cutting.
Thanks Chrono, I''ll trade it for your spess!!
2.gif
3.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
AmGuy,
Thanks for introducing us to beautiful stones from Georgia!
I am in Georgia. Where in Georgia is this located?
My MIL has a large piece of rough amethyst from a location someplace above Augusta.
I believe she told me Tiffany and Co. owns the adjacent property. Does that sound familiar?
I will try to take a photo of the rough this weekend and post.
Pink

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 11:57:48 PM
Pretty!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The stones from this location, Jackson Crossroads, Georgia, are one of the top locations for amethyst. Google the name and check out some of the photos. In Tuscon(to those not familiar with tuscon it''s the biggest and baddest gem and min. show in the world) these stones sell for $50-75 a ct. with top color ones regularly going for $100 a ct...for amethyst you say????..it''s a small location with a limited amount of material. Any american deposit of gemstone is going to up the price. I don''t know if any of you have bought tourmaline cut stones from either Maine of california but those will cost more than ones from brazil or Afghanistan just because of locality. I am sure most of you have seen the term siberian amethyst of siberian colored amethyst. The name came about from an amethyst deposit discoverd in Siberia, Russia back in the early 20th century. They were and still are considered the finest amethyst to ever come out of anywhere. These are comparable to those and considered the finest amethyst to come out of america and the finest to come out in the late 20th century. The Brazilian and uruguay deposits are so immense that 85-90% of all amethyst come from there. You guys have seen those amethyst geodes at rock and gem shows and online? Primary deposits for the cut stones are those but there is better quality fpound and cut down there that are not in geodes. They take those and bust them up and cut the pieces.
Hey Pink Tower where are you located at? I am in Gwinnett county right next to Atlanta. The amethyst deposit is located east of Athens in Wilkes county..google wilkes county amethyst or JXR amethyst. I am sure you MIL has a piece of rough from that location as it''s roughly north of augusta. If you would like to go and try your hand at collecting some real deal stuf I can call the owner and set up a date and meet you out there and we can dig. It''s smack dab in the country and so very peaceful. Nothing better than finding your own piece of high quality rough then having it chopped up and set into a ring or pendent..you run the whole gammet from start(finding it) to finish(on your hand). Tiffany did mine there back in the mid-1900''s but there mine was about 800 yards away from this one and there deposit played out fairly quickly and is on church property now. Do you know how this mine was found, the JXR mine? A moonshiner was burying a stash of moonshine back in the 60''s(I think) and happened to dig up some amethyst and the rest is history...google jackson crossroads amethyst, like I said Pink Tower and maybe if you are up to it we can make a day of it. I usually try to make it there once a month or once every two months
jason

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that must be the same place, because I vaguely remembered my MIL said something about Tiffany and Co.being next to the mine. I will get a photo of the rough this weekend. Whew, too hot to go to the mine this time of year. I drove to Atlanta from the beach today; 96 degrees all day long! Pink

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Pink...it is really hot this time of year you really have to be careful in the georgia sun..whew..can''t wait to see the pic..that piece of rough, if it''s good, is worth more than you think. let me know if you want to go..I run fiedtrips out there all the time with friends and family.
jason

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic stone, Mr. Amethyst.

Questions for you on amethysts. Why don''t cutters make smaller amethysts, though? Too often you find them in too large of a size?

And who sells JXR amethysts?

Thanks.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Thats really a good question..because ammy''s are such a common stone, in there case, bigger is better. Collectors stones[amethyst] that have certain unique traits or colors make smaller ammy''s viable but those are gobbled up rather quickly by collectors. You can try and google JXR amethyst or jackson crossroads amethyst to see if you can find a cut stone but they are rare because they are bought up and are in private collections or museums. I know where some rough is but as for cut stones for sale I do not. I have an 80ct. piece of rough from there being cut by dave gronki right now. I will post when I recieve it

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/10/2009 11:22:31 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Fantastic stone, Mr. Amethyst.

Questions for you on amethysts. Why don''t cutters make smaller amethysts, though? Too often you find them in too large of a size?
Hi Sonomacounty,
Sorry to step on Amguy''s post here... but generally, for domestic US or CA gem cutters, it isn''t financially feasible to be cutting smaller stones when working with inexpensive roughs. JXR Amethyst notwithstanding, as it doesn''t fit due to being held in high esteem especially amongst the collector crowd.

It is possible to find well-made, foreign-cut, smaller sized, fine quality natural Amethyst relatively inexpensively. Therefore, for someone like Gene or Peter or Gary to cut one, they would have to charge for their time. Then, it would appear expensive.... for Amethyst. If they are going to spend 1-1/2 to 2 hours cutting a 2-ct sized stone, they may as well cut a 5 to 8 ct sized piece in roughly 3 hours and have a greater return on their time.

When we set up the gem cutting facility in Namibia in 2001, we were paying the locals about US$320 per month, which was more than they would make in most any non-professional job in the country. So you can see why the less expensive types of rough are cut in overseas facilities.

I hope you find this a little helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 8:57:38 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thanks Chrono, I'll trade it for your spess!!
2.gif
3.gif
Ain't happenning anytime soon...or ever.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results