shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Update: My Tiny Fancy Colored Diamond Collection

iLander

Ideal_Rock
OOOOOOOOH! I don't know why I never tried that advanced search before! Just dazzled :twirl: by the diamonds, I guess!

I'll definitely check with you for advice if I get close on one!

Thanks, Kenny! :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hey, there's a blue and pink pair of pears! How cool for a mother's ring. . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a pair like that I'll be your mama :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful colors!
Would they go into a ring or earrings?
Personally I prefer to buy stones with GIA reports, though I do trust Leibish.
If there is time, perhaps you could ask them to send the pink to GIA.

Also, do you realize how small these will look?
You have to be okay with that.

(I have a loupe.) :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Side stones, either side of a round diamond that is currently languishing in a safe deposit box. Definitely GIA on both . . .

But now I see all these others!

Oh, cr@p, look what you did!

I saw this one, too: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3775.htm

Ugh, I'll be back in a few days, after I sift through all these (too many!) possibilities . . . :shock:

First, I've got to wipe the drool off my keyboard . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1291515985|2787573 said:
Oh, cr@p, look what you did!

Oh, don't worry.
After you buy your FCD you'll never want another. :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LOL! :lol: They're like potato chips, aren't they?

Here's a question; if you have a blue fluorescence on a yellow diamond, does it look green sometimes?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue, but that would make sense to me if the fluorescence was very strong.
Then again in sunlight the colors of the fire may overpower even the body color of the diamond.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. . . good point.

This one has a bit more color to it, I wonder why they didn't put "orangish" in the report?

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/1373.htm

Kenny, are we the only ones here? Where'd everybody else go? Is there something really good on TV? I'm gonna go check . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1291516996|2787583 said:
Hmmm. . . good point.

This one has a bit more color to it, I wonder why they didn't put "orangish" in the report?

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/1373.htm

Kenny, are we the only ones here? Where'd everybody else go? Is there something really good on TV?

Two good questions.
Everyone else is out Holiday shopping and yes, GIA's diamond color grading is mysterious.

I bought GIA's $20, " GIA Colored Diamonds Color Reference Charts Booklet".
(For some reason they did not include pink in this booklet so you have to buy a pink chart separately.)

http://store.gia.edu/product_p/colordiambooklet.htm

GIA's yellow range does include hues that look to my eyes like they have some orange and brown in them.
But what do I know?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Lurking!

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1291512500|2787527 said:
Thanks, I'd love to do that.
I love what I currently do for a living but I'd photograph gems for clients in a heartbeat.
I just have no clue how I'd find clients.

Notice how this paricular light and environment absolutely killed the color of the Fancy light Bluish-Green diamond, in the lower-right corner.
You'd never guess it from this pic but that is a VERY sparkly diamond with gorgeous color.
I'll post other pics of it to show how pretty it can be in other environments and lighting.
Even the FCSs that are not chameleons are chameleons.

Photographing diamonds is hard enough, FCDs are harder.
Capturing the color of several different colors in the same shot is a challenge.

Right about now, my tongue is hanging out like this. You need to do gem photography on the side, man do you take gorgeous photos, some of the best I have ever seen, and your stones are TDF.

doggy-drooling.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
loriken214|1291518175|2787596 said:
Lurking!

Lori

Oh, good, Lori! I was starting to worry if there was an evacuation or something! I checked over in hangout, nothing juicy there . . .

I am liking that 5 x 7 ish yellow. . . it's a good size. (http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/1373.htm)

It has a strong fluorescence, I hope it's not a brown fluorescence.

None of those books have any mention of the effects of fluorescence on FCD's, Kenny? I've googled it before, and I've never found anything substantial on that topic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1291518805|2787603 said:
loriken214|1291518175|2787596 said:
Lurking!

Lori

Oh, good, Lori! I was starting to worry if there was an evacuation or something! I checked over in hangout, nothing juicy there . . .

I am liking that 5 x 7 ish yellow. . . it's a good size. (http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/1373.htm)

It has a strong fluorescence, I hope it's not a brown fluorescence.

None of those books have any mention of the effects of fluorescence on FCD's, Kenny? I've googled it before, and I've never found anything substantial on that topic.

Ask Lebish what color the fluorescence is.
I just send them questions about that oval orange. :Up_to_something:

I have that huge book by S. Hofer:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Collecting-and-Classifying-Coloured-Diamonds/Stephen-C-Hofer/e/9780965941013

I'll see what is says about Fl.

Thanks TL.
Put that thing away. :-o :lol:
Actually, none of my 3 pics here were taken in my light box.
I'll post some when I get time to set that up.
It gives more even shadowless illumination and the colors will be more true since the visual chaos of the environment is replaced with pure white.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the new pictures! :appl:

I have to say each of them is beautiful but the green, pink, and "tropical island" blue are my favorites. The color of this blue and the cut and are spectacular.

Would it be too much to ask for a picture of these three? :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the "tropical Island" blue the pear?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1291516509|2787580 said:

Here's a question; if you have a blue fluorescence on a yellow diamond, does it look green sometimes?

No. You can't predict how fluor will change a FCD. For example, I had a yellow diamond with very strong blue fluor. The effect was that in sunlight it eradicated the yellow with the blue making it look a very very very very very pale yellow - almost white. I didn't like it at all as I wanted to bring out the yellow NOT get rid of it!

Fluor can react in different ways and isn't predictable in FCD, so if you're considering a FCD that has fluor, you must ask the Vendor what effect it has in different lights.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1291564144|2787835 said:
iLander|1291516509|2787580 said:

No. You can't predict how fluor will change a FCD. For example, I had a yellow diamond with very strong blue fluor. The effect was that in sunlight it eradicated the yellow with the blue making it look a very very very very very pale yellow - almost white. I didn't like it at all as I wanted to bring out the yellow NOT get rid of it!

Fluor can react in different ways and isn't predictable in FCD, so if you're considering a FCD that has fluor, you must ask the Vendor what effect it has in different lights.

Thank you, LD! :wavey: Exactly what I wanted to know!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ILander.
It's good to shop around to be aware of what's available.
I'm looking a GIA pure orange though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Danny, I just shot the combination you requested.
Frankly these are also my favorite three.
(I emailed you a 7 MB version.)

781.png

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I can use about a million more pictures of each of these stones. :love: The three above are my favourite as well - but I think each of your colored stones deserves it's own thread. :love:

ETA - that pear has to be my favourite though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, now THAT newest pictures is droolworthy! :love: The colour and focus is so sharp, and isn’t helping disable me from thinking of getting one of their FCDs.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1291616534|2788624 said:
Danny, I just shot the combination you requested.
Frankly these are also my favorite three.
(I emailed you a 7 MB version.)

You're killing me!!! Gahhhhh!!!!!! Leibish should hire you to take photos of their diamonds.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Jesus kenny, you're killing me too! Thats the sweetest pic I have ever seen in FCD! :love: :lickout: :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.
FWIW, if you enjoy more clarity there's a higher res (5.4 MB) copy of this and others on my FB wall.
When you get there click on, 'Download in High Resolution".

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pear shots Kenny. That thing is amazing. The last pic you posted has to be my favorite. I think thats the best color shot Ive seen of your green. Is that pretty true to real life?

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
OK so I couldnt resist and started searching like everyone else. I found some good ones under the 5k budget. I was drawn in by a pink stone that I thought had a great color (in the picture at least). It was even a wearable as a main stone size. Id link it but I dont want to out it if someone else is planning on getting it.

Sadly Im still saving for a white diamond. No fancy stuff till she gets a normal one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results