shape
carat
color
clarity

Unusual This Red Spinel

antoinehoang

Rough_Rock
At the edge of New Year 2012 I would like to share with you this picture of mine.

01.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Looks really awesome...

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorge! Is the picture in you avatar the rough it came from?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice stone! :love: :love: :love: I love that shade of red - reminds me of "I Love Lucy" red lipstick! :bigsmile:

antoinehoang

Rough_Rock
Davi_el_mejor: No. The cut stone is not from the rough of my avatar which is a 53 carats. This 2.5 carat spinel is much stronger red and flashy (even the picture was taken under fluorescent bulbs). This is the second time I encounter this kind of red stone despite of many had been passed through my hands.

Enerchi: Thank you for the term "I Love Lucy" red lipstick. That is the purpose of my post: What are the other terms would you be using for this color? Locally the people call it "traffic light" or "flag" red.

Chrono, Elmo: Any comment?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen Elmo around in years but I'd gladly take that beautiful spinel off your hands for you anytime! :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1325703143|3095013 said:
I haven't seen Elmo around in years but I'd gladly take that beautiful spinel off your hands for you anytime! :love:

Wow! That's high praise from you, Chrono! You're the reigning queen of red spinels!

Deb
:saint:

Beth

Shiny_Rock
That is the perfect true red to me... simply lovely Antoine. I wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Antoine, thank you for posting your lovely spinel. The saturation is amazing, and the cut looks very good.

Just out of curiousity, how much does the color shift in different light sources (sunlight, flourescent light, incandescent light)? It looks like it has a slight orange modifier, but I realize it may look different in real life, and under different lights.

Also, does this spinel, or Thai spinels in general, have red fluorescence?

Thank you!

antoinehoang

Rough_Rock
Pregcurious, this spinel is from LucYen, Vietnam. It can be mistaken for a pigeon-blood ruby under daylight, indoor it shows more orangey. It happened that some rare specimen are strongly fluorescent, especially under long UV. These stones normally beam out across the room in a late afternoon.

Cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results