shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated Blue Sapphire below a carat?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! Personally, I prefer stones of at least 1.5 carats and above. Do you think that a 0.90-1.00 carats pear blue sapphire will be too small to be set as a ring? It should measures approx 6.5X4.5mm for a pear. How much will you be willing to pay for a unheated blue sapphire of a good, cornflower blue, within the above carat weight? I had purchased a pair of sapphire for my pear dangle earrings. Thought of sourcing for a matching sapphire for a ring but does not wanna exceed a carat size as my pear sapphires earring are rather petite in size:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 7x5 mm yellow pear diamond ring, so I’m obviously biased when I say I don’t think it is too small to be set in a ring. Also, I’ve purchased a 1 ct unheated bright blue chunky round cut sapphire from Tan with minimal gray and medium toned blue for under $400. When it comes to making a suite, I actually prefer the ring stone to be larger than the earrings, so in your case, I wouldn’t have any issues looking for a 2 ct pear sapphire to go with your more petite earrings.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi chrono thanks for the reply!

What do you think of this pear sapphire? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230316662464&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It was recommended from Tan amongst his unheated pear sapphires inventory, described as 'No Inclusions visible to the unaided eye. With the 10x loupe you may see hair line inclusions. You may see slight cloudy like the picture but overall this gem looks great and stunning for unheated Sapphire.' the color is Cornflower Blue and no window. The saturation strong and the tone is dark. This is a good mixture and color.

Can I have your comments pls:)? TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about the saturation and tone; the saturation looks good and the tone is somewhat on the darker side, although not overly dark. If you are fussed about brilliancy and cutting, the pear has an ever so slight window and practically no crown. All the depth is in the pavilion. It is difficult to say with any surety but there could be some extinction in the rounded part of the pear.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The flat crown is a put off to me, but the color is decent. With sapphires, since they're particularly dense, a 1 carat stone faces up very small. That's something to consider.

dzop

Shiny_Rock

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Tks to all the input!

Thank you TL for the alternative suggestion! Yes I did enquire on the oval, and a few others before. I kinda like the intense blue:) However, Tan mentioned that that is a quite a visible window and exhibit some extinction. I noticed that the pavilion seems a little lopsided too:)

eta: Hi dzop- I love sapphire that color-shift to purple in incandescent :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dzop said:
tourmaline_lover said:

FWIW, TL, I was thiiiiis close to buying that stone (I posted about it in an earlier thread), but Tan was very lukewarm about it in email exchange (said it color-shifted to violet in incandescent and had a window) and basically talked me out of it.

Wow, he's really getting to know Pricescoper's tastes!!! LOL!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks TL, chrono, dzop - I purchased the pear sapphire to take a look at it IRL, hopefully it is good as Tan' description else I will have it return. I will certainly post some photos when it arrives in approx 3 weeks time:) In the meantime, I am looking at this pear mount which I have been eyeing for a long time, can someone let me know if it fits? its in a separate thread. TIA

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results