shape
carat
color
clarity

Um, look what I got, . . . (star sapphire) (links to photos)

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

I've been looking at star sapphires forever. I figure it's about time or I'll keep looking till life is over probably. This one reminds of MTG's, which I love.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-03-ct-violet-star-sapphire-from-the-gem-trader

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun12SSapphirePage.htm

------
Setting ideas, please, (that aren't too crazy expensive)? I love MTG's in the bezel but I'm wondering if it would be best with a bit more light. Would yellow gold emphasize the blue or purple component? I want to bring out the blue more than the purple. I prefer yellow gold to white.

Thanks so much.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Re: Um, look what I got, . . . (star sapphire) (links to pho

sonomacounty|1389979559|3594729 said:

I've been looking at star sapphires forever. I figure it's about time or I'll keep looking till life is over probably. This one reminds of MTG's, which I love.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-03-ct-violet-star-sapphire-from-the-gem-trader

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun12SSapphirePage.htm

------
Setting ideas, please, (that aren't too crazy expensive)? I love MTG's in the bezel but I'm wondering if it would be best with a bit more light. Would yellow gold emphasize the blue or purple component? I want to bring out the blue more than the purple. I prefer yellow gold to white.

Thanks so much.
Congrats! I saw that one too. I love star stones! You could do anything from a simple 18k yellow gold milligrain bezel with a simple or decorative shank to a white diamond halo.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, IK ! I've wanted a decent one of these for Years.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

I loved that stone! Congratulations!! I've ALWAYS wanted a star sapphire halo. I used to know someone who had one and its been on my list ever since <sigh>
What ever you do with it - it will be beautiful!! :love: :love:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks so much, JBK.

Would yellow gold bring out more of the blue or purple?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

sonomacounty|1389987297|3594807 said:
Thanks so much, JBK.

Would yellow gold bring out more of the blue or purple?
Good question. Have you held it next to both white and yellow gold to see how it looks?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

It looks lovely, congratulations :appl: I've never been particularly enamored of them and in the last week I've seen another pale blue and now yours that are changing my mind because I love them both!

I second IK's idea of putting it next to white and yellow in turn - and pics for us please. I've personally always favoured WG with pale blue stones but not sure how YG would play out.

As to a simple setting, what about using crown wire to bezel it and leave the back open? This is sort of half way between prongs and bezel (pink opal). Or a very simple crown setting.

I'll try and find a better one of the crown wire.
Here's a link to some Etsy vendors http://www.etsy.com/market/gallery_bezel_wire

crown-bezel-nondia.jpg

crown-halo-round-stone-juliabjewelry-etsy.jpg

yg-halo-no-dia.jpg

crown-bezel-wire-sm.jpg

blingyjules

Rough_Rock

Congrats, I was eyeing that one off too but am trying to be good and not spend at the moment. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
I love Starzin's suggestions for settings particulary the pink opal and the last ones. :D

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love it! I was looking at that to. It will be beautiful! Sally at Heart of Water Jewels does gorgeous settings that make star sapphires look so magical. I have a star sapphire and a star ruby set by her and have posted pics and threads on those rings. I would go with yellow gold for sure! :appl:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks so very much all ! It's not even mailed out to me yet but when it gets here I'll sit it next to some yellow & white gold & foil the sides to see if it is o.k. in a bezel.

I appreciate, very much, each and every suggestion given. Thanks again, so very, very much ! Here's where I'm at - I'm not feeling the crown lace halo, a bit too victorian of a feel. Sally's are sometimes a bit high of a setting, imo. Love MTG's when it was bezeled but then I'm missing out on some of the side view fun, especially considering it is somewhat translucent. Would a Daniel M u-prong be too simple?

If yellow gold brings out the blue in blue/green stones, I guess it would bring out the blue here, which I want to do. I guess rose gold would bring out the purple. I'm not much of a white gold person, so prefer to avoid.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please take pics as I am curious to see what it looks like in real life. :)) If it looks like it does in Brad's pics, I would say you can't go wrong in any gold color.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

sonomacounty|1390103819|3595916 said:
Yup, that's my hastily taken photo with chapped hands and all. It's cold and dry here.

I think Brad's photo makes it look slightly lighter than it is in real life. My pic was taken on the first sunny, cloudless day in week, and it shows the star well.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Do you like James Meyer? He works with yellow gold and does nice work with cabochons. Ann McKay too.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Do you like James Meyer?

Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, . . . :lickout: :love: :naughty:

I totally dream of having a JM or AM.

Now, from what I remember they don't take outside stones (ones that you don't buy from them) to set. I think JM & AM are big money, too (not that it isn't worth it).

Thanks so much, IK, for your input & ideas. (And thanks everyone.)

When Ms. Star gets here & I get more familiar with her, the answers may come more on how to set it.

As much as I adored MTG's bezel star setting, I'm wondering if I really want to go that way, as once it's in a bezel, you have to ruin the setting to get it out & I think I want to be able to see more of the sides of the stone. Somehow I'd always wonder if anything in a bezel would perform just a bit better out of the bezel, too.

Who are people using nowadays for settings? I do like Daniel M's work. Is One Garnet Girl's comparable? Which of them tends to do better prices?

Thanks again so very much !

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

I love ModMetal on Etsy. I've used her and was VERY happy with her and I know I've seen other PS's who used her too. She'll do any metal you'd like and she'll either re-do something she's done before or work with you if you have a style in mind.....

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ModMetal

edited to add - I found her prices to be very reasonable and she did set my own stone (she set a JXR of mine)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sonoma,
Has your new star sapphire arrived yet? Just my gut feel but I think it'll look very pretty in yellow gold. I'm not sure what your setting options are since the base of the cabochon is deep.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results