shape
carat
color
clarity

uh oh''s! New return policy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Who''s taken a look at D. Stairs new return policy?

"Because of a new trend where people from certain online discussion groups are inclined to order stones they can''t really afford or just want to "look at", it seems I have no choice but to implement a new return policy for new customers only. Please review the terms below and be sure of your purchase if you are new to my site."

*20% restocking fee!!!* OUCH

This bites! I''ve not bought anything from him but have been considering it, but now im afraid to...
7.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't blame him.

ETA: Stry, I've bought 3 stones from him--two of those were custom cut. The key to it is just reading the description well and talking to him about what you are looking for and making sure that you and the color of the stone is what you're looking for.

I am incredibly impressed with what I have received from Dan. He's very honest and he's not trying to screw anyone over, and he wants the people who buy his stones to be happy with them.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeesh! I have two stones from him that I really like, especially the aquamarine. But I if I were a new customer I''d think twice if there was a restocking fee of 20%.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will not buy gemstones without a 100% return policy as you can not tell a gemstones true color on a monitor from a picture.
The most I am willing to cover is shipping.
So I guess I will not be ordering from him.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw if he has customers taking advantage of him he needs to fire that customer not take it out on everyone.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If many people are ordering stones for kicks and then returning them, I can understand why he must have such a policy in place. However, I get the feeling (from past experience and from what I read about Dan in PS) that if someone discussing a project and asking relevant questions (showing that they are really looking for a stone) should return a stone because it is not perfect, Dan may be willing to work with them and negotiate the fee.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 4:52:02 PM
Author: strmrdr
I will not buy gemstones without a 100% return policy as you can not tell a gemstones true color on a monitor from a picture.
The most I am willing to cover is shipping.
So I guess I will not be ordering from him.
Ditto.
Not to mention...I don''t think it''s any of us.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Karl, I agree that with colored stones they often look different when you receive them.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I have never had trouble with anyone buying only to look to return. I know sometimes the color may be a little off from what they wanted. But I have had very few stones be returned. I know that it will happen on a rare occasion, but that is part of doing business. I guess I have been lucky with great customers.
2.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 4:13:34 PM
Author:stryeyes102
Who''s taken a look at D. Stairs new return policy?

''Because of a new trend where people from certain online discussion groups are inclined to order stones they can''t really afford or just want to ''look at'', it seems I have no choice but to implement a new return policy for new customers only. Please review the terms below and be sure of your purchase if you are new to my site.''

*20% restocking fee!!!* OUCH

This bites! I''ve not bought anything from him but have been considering it, but now im afraid to...
7.gif
I found this part to be a little odd...it doesn''t really seem necessary to put that in there
20.gif
. Which discussion group is he referring to?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 6:22:34 PM
Author: GemRite
I have never had trouble with anyone buying only to look to return. I know sometimes the color may be a little off from what they wanted. But I have had very few stones be returned. I know that it will happen on a rare occasion, but that is part of doing business. I guess I have been lucky with great customers.
2.gif

1.gif

John, Your work is lovely, and I appreciate your post.

We all know that monitors, photography, lighting, angles, etc. can drastically alter the look of a colored stone. Buying online can be so tricky. I truly appreciate a good return policy for this reason. If I''ve returned a gem to a vendor with a good return policy, they will likely get my business in the future.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
20% restocking fee...sounds like he isnt interested in new customers.I guess he has a huge customer list built up and can afford to allinate possible future clients.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that stones do look different in person then they do on the computer screen. A 20% restocking fee is a bit harsh.

Linda

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
What counts as a new customer? As in, I have been in talks with him but have not bought anything before. is this a new customer?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
That really stinks. I understand that some people may take advantage of the system, but really...the jab at "certain online forums" and the 20% fee that could (and will) punish people that are genuinely looking for a stone and are sent something that doesn''t meet their needs is pushing me away from ordering anything from him. I know that communication can stop a lot of problems, but really...what if, when you look at it, it''s really just not what you want? You have to pay 20% because the colour was not quite what you wanted?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can''t fault him. he''s in business to make $. he''s honestly communicating a new business practice. and it doesn''t mean its directed at pricescopers.

its one thing to honestly not like a stone IF one has educated themselves re the color stone in question and have communicated what is desired and what is unacceptable in a stone. i would hope in that case he might make an exception. there is absolutely no way a color stone can be accurately depicted in an online picture. that''s where the trust comes in: 1-that the buyer is educated and asking the right questions and 2-the seller is being honest in answering those questions. if that criteria is met, i would hope he would waive the 20% restocking fee. perhaps it would be up for negotiation.......

many online businesses have been charging high restocking fees for returned merchandise. admittedly i don''t shop with those businesses.

movie zombie

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Dan's return policy seems to have changed by the time I went to check it out, because the restocking fee is now listed as 10% instead of 20%, and the part about "people from certain online discussion groups" isn't there anymore. The policy also states that the restocking fee may be waived for "new buyers" if Dan feels the reason for return is legitimate.

I've purchased fewer than five stones from Dan in the past, so I'm still a "new buyer" and not an "established client" who would enjoy the full refund privilege (if returned within 10 days) under his policy. 20% restocking fee would have stopped me from ordering from him again. 10% sounds a bit more reasonable, but I will still have to think long and hard before ordering. I don't blame him for instituting the policy though -- he's within his rights to protect his business the way he sees fit. As long as the policy is clearly stated and enforced, we as customers can make buying decisions accordingly.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being that I have been in communication with Dan a great deal about my ering stone, and because of me he's been checking out PS, he has seen this thread and this is what he has to say:

"As a result of reading that discussion about my return policy on Pricescope, I have modified my new return policy to a great extent, cutting the restocking fee to 10% and changing some of the wording, including removal of the statement about "certain discussion groups". The people on Pricescope made some good points and I took them into consideration as best I could. All I'm trying to do is cover myself a little so I can defend myself against extremely unreasonable buyers. I've had a virtual flood of them lately, and it's just been weird (and expensive). I greatly appreciate new customers, and go out of my way to cater to what people want whenever I can. I despise the restocking fee concept, but don't have any better ideas."

I think that having over 6 stones returned in week for no good reason is a darn good reason to implement a new return policy.

His return policy. Which has been revised to say:
"Because a large number of people have chosen to abuse my return policy and/or request the special cutting of stones they didn't really intend on paying for, new buyers who have purchased less than 5 stones from me and/or who have returned a large percentage of stones are now, at my discretion, subject to deduction of a 10% restocking fee plus my actual shipping cost from any refund given for a returned item. I reserve the right to exercise this option, though in many cases I likely will not. I do the best I can to stand behind the quality of the stones I cut and sell, and after nearly ten years of selling stones online, it saddens me to have to cover myself a little by implementing this new policy.

I cannot guarantee that people can afford to spend money on gemstones and do not offer a buyer's remorse warranty with a 100% refund. If you are not happy with a stone you get from me for what I feel is a legitimate reason, then I also reserve the right to waive this new policy and issue a full refund. :)"

His site.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 9:54:40 PM
Author: arjunajane
What counts as a new customer? As in, I have been in talks with him but have not bought anything before. is this a new customer?

Yeah, he would consider you a new customer. A new customer (as per his policy) is someone who has bought less then 5 stones from him...

Like jewelerman said, he must have alot of long standing customers
27.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like one (or a few!) bad eggs have ticked him off. And I don't blame him! If someone/ a few people are buying stones left and right and returning them all, that is a HUGE PITA to someone like Dan who doesn't have many stones in his inventory at any one time. It's a big time/money suck for someone running a small business...

I have bought from Dan before a few times, and I have to say that my dealings with him have been nothing but great. He is gracious and kind. I am sure that he won't enforce the policy unless he needs to...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 10:51:21 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Being that I have been in communication with Dan a great deal about my ering stone, and because of me he''s been checking out PS, he has seen this thread and this is what he has to say:

''As a result of reading that discussion about my return policy on Pricescope, I have modified my new return policy to a great extent, cutting the restocking fee to 10% and changing some of the wording, including removal of the statement about ''certain discussion groups''. The people on Pricescope made some good points and I took them into consideration as best I could. All I''m trying to do is cover myself a little so I can defend myself against extremely unreasonable buyers. I''ve had a virtual flood of them lately, and it''s just been weird (and expensive). I greatly appreciate new customers, and go out of my way to cater to what people want whenever I can. I despise the restocking fee concept, but don''t have any better ideas.''

I think that having over 6 stones returned in week for no good reason is a darn good reason to implement a new return policy.

''Because a large number of people have chosen to abuse my return policy and/or request the special cutting of stones they didn''t really intend on paying for, new buyers who have purchased less than 5 stones from me and/or who have returned a large percentage of stones are now, at my discretion, subject to deduction of a 10% restocking fee plus my actual shipping cost from any refund given for a returned item. I reserve the right to exercise this option, though in many cases I likely will not. I do the best I can to stand behind the quality of the stones I cut and sell, and after nearly ten years of selling stones online, it saddens me to have to cover myself a little by implementing this new policy.

I cannot guarantee that people can afford to spend money on gemstones and do not offer a buyer''s remorse warranty with a 100% refund. If you are not happy with a stone you get from me for what I feel is a legitimate reason, then I also reserve the right to waive this new policy and issue a full refund. :)''

His site.

That seems fair. It definitely makes it clear that it''s about bringing the stones home to oogle instead of having a legitimate issue with the stone.

I''m glad he''s clarifying that, because I really want some stones from him once I''ve got the money, and it wouldn''t have been worth it to spend 20% of the stone''s cost to find out it was the wrong colour.

Woohoo! He''s back on the list of dream cutters.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 10:51:21 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Being that I have been in communication with Dan a great deal about my ering stone, and because of me he''s been checking out PS, he has seen this thread and this is what he has to say:

''As a result of reading that discussion about my return policy on Pricescope, I have modified my new return policy to a great extent, cutting the restocking fee to 10% and changing some of the wording, including removal of the statement about ''certain discussion groups''. The people on Pricescope made some good points and I took them into consideration as best I could. All I''m trying to do is cover myself a little so I can defend myself against extremely unreasonable buyers. I''ve had a virtual flood of them lately, and it''s just been weird (and expensive). I greatly appreciate new customers, and go out of my way to cater to what people want whenever I can. I despise the restocking fee concept, but don''t have any better ideas.''

''Because a large number of people have chosen to abuse my return policy and/or request the special cutting of stones they didn''t really intend on paying for, new buyers who have purchased less than 5 stones from me and/or who have returned a large percentage of stones are now, at my discretion, subject to deduction of a 10% restocking fee plus my actual shipping cost from any refund given for a returned item. I reserve the right to exercise this option, though in many cases I likely will not. I do the best I can to stand behind the quality of the stones I cut and sell, and after nearly ten years of selling stones online, it saddens me to have to cover myself a little by implementing this new policy.

I cannot guarantee that people can afford to spend money on gemstones and do not offer a buyer''s remorse warranty with a 100% refund. If you are not happy with a stone you get from me for what I feel is a legitimate reason, then I also reserve the right to waive this new policy and issue a full refund. :)''

His site.

That is a relief to read! Cuz that 20% darn near made me cross him off my list of vendors. I have been looking at his stones for some time, but haven''t figured out what i want just yet. So, im glad to know i still can count him in.
36.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so glad he took a second thought. I would love to buy a stone from him someday since others here have had such a good experience with him. I seriously hope this deters the fools from trying to scam him.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Dan for reconsidering !
36.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you''re really worried about colour - why not use the freebie on Gemewizard?

That way you can both be pretty sure that you''re talking about the same thing.

Also don''t forget that there are many, many people reading PS who don''t post here and who will be contacting the same vendors as we all are.

Often it is posted to call a stone in to have a look and return it if it''s not what you are after. On the whole this is posted regarding people who are on a serious search, but lurkers may interpret it as a chance to order a load of stones just for fun - or even worse to have a stone cut for fun.

I don''t blame him at all for implementing his policy. I for one wouldn''t be put off - I''ve never returned a stone yet.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, good suggestion. we as buyers have responsibilities and the utmost one is to get educated and/or use tools such as this one. it comes back to being educated and clearly communicating.

movie zombie

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Size and color are very hard to judge on a monitor.
Dan needs to invest in a video camera to help people have a better idea of what they are purchasing. Most customers have just a little idea of how large (or small ) an eight mm gemstone is.
If he were to invest the time into a video presentation, he might have less returns.
But then, returns are part of doing business.

Joker....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
how hard is it to get a ruler out and look at 8mm?

movie zombie

icekid

Ideal_Rock
eeeeeeek glad Dan has amended the policy. I can certainly understand that he does not want to keep cutting custom shapes for people, only to have them returned all of the time! But 20% would have been a big deterrent for me, having only purchased from him once.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2008 1:04:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
how hard is it to get a ruler out and look at 8mm?

movie zombie
I am one of those crazy ones who draw the actual dimensions on a piece of paper.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results