shape
carat
color
clarity

two-stone: one colour, or two?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I'm almost starting to despair over setting my amethyst.

I don't like solitaires - I know this for sure now, having tried many on in the last couple days/ weeks - and I really tried to like them. Even those with interesting things going on with the shanks do nothing for me.

And I also discovered *much to my horror :o* that I don't like three-stones either, certainly not graduated ones. and with a 9mm ammy, a three stone seems terribly excessive.

I clearly like halos - but I already have one for my e-ring, and I don't want anything that looks too similar. and metal halos also don't work for me :(

so now I've tried on a couple two-stones, and I'm so surprised that I like them! enough bling for me, but understated enough to accomodate two 9mms on my finger.

I'm trying to figure out if I should send my ammy back to jeffdavies so he can match rough for me so I have two of the same colour - or should I go for a different coloured stone (like a darker ammy)? what would you do?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
pictures pictures pictures and the too please show three stoners that fail your expectations and two stoners that intrigue you and maybe even the ammy in question; as is I have no idea what to think except to say that the world is far richer than only two and three stoners!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all halos are alike. You can do differing shanks, or double, triple halos, or a pave halo. I'm a halo nut, and I have too many of them, but I understand the appeal, and I don't care if I have a lot of halos.

One of these days, I would love to have a large rose cut diamond halo for one of my gems. :naughty:

You can even do colored stone halos, where the stones surrounding the gem could be a complimentary color, not necessarily white diamonds. I think chrysoberyl looks fabulous around purple amethyst, or vice versa.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I love a vibrant chryso with some deep ammys!!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
Not all halos are alike. You can do differing shanks, or double, triple halos, or a pave halo. I'm a halo nut, and I have too many of them, but I understand the appeal, and I don't care if I have a lot of halos.

One of these days, I would love to have a large rose cut diamond halo for one of my gems. :naughty:

You can even do colored stone halos, where the stones surrounding the gem could be a complimentary color, not necessarily white diamonds. I think chrysoberyl looks fabulous around purple amethyst, or vice versa.

thanks TL - but I don't really like double/triple halos at the moment - and I don't want something that looks too close to my e-ring at the moment.. but I ALSO WOULD LIKE A ROSE CUT DIAMOND HALO. soon. maybe later rather than sooner, but that's on the list for a later project.

my amethyst is very pale - and I don't want it to get overwhelmed by too much colour, I think two big stones of different colors is good, but halo of tiny stones surrounding it feels like overkill...

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
three stoners that I didn't like - 1) one big surrounded by two slightly smaller ones 2) three stones of different shapes (e.g. round with two pears) 3) small three stones.

for a three stone I did like, it's three stones of about 5-6mm each in a row - but my amethyst is too big for that.

two stones that I do like:

http://www.beladora.com/store/504892_antique_edwardian_two_stone_diamond_ring_in_platinum
maybe something similar to this, but a little less ornate. best photo I've seen of two stones of the same size set straight though!

1_295.jpg

http://www.kayesjewellers.com/shop/product.php?pid=89

2_163.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like the crossover ring a lot. The other one looks a little awkward to me. Can you post pics of your ammy so we have an idea of its color? If it's pale, it might look good with a darker one, like a gradation of tones.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonyachancs|1408424812|3735303 said:
TL said:

thanks TL - but I don't really like double/triple halos at the moment - and I don't want something that looks too close to my e-ring at the moment.. but I ALSO WOULD LIKE A ROSE CUT DIAMOND HALO. soon. maybe later rather than sooner, but that's on the list for a later project.

my amethyst is very pale - and I don't want it to get overwhelmed by too much colour, I think two big stones of different colors is good, but halo of tiny stones surrounding it feels like overkill...

I know Wink (a vendor) made a halo with a chrysoberyl/amethyst combo, or it was a purple spinel, I forget. It was very pretty, and the stones rather enhanced each other. I can't find the photo at the moment. Here's another such combination. Most of the time, If it's a warm/cool combination, then you don't have to worry about one taking away from the other IMO, but you should do what you like. Just throwing some ideas out there.

xxx_251_1362886966_1_1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite is the last one and I think having a 2 stone with differing colours makes them pop even more. Since your ammy is a light purple, how about a light yellow or light green companion?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1408447885|3735388 said:
I found the ring.
I love this colour combination and had this in mind when I wrote my reply above. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have toyed with the idea of using 2 different colours of CSs for a cross-over ring, and my colour combinations of choice would be purple with raspberry, pink with aqua, raspberry with emerald green, raspberry with deep turquoise, raspberry with medium blue.

Therefore, definitely two colours for me.

DK :))

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak said:
I like the crossover ring a lot. The other one looks a little awkward to me. Can you post pics of your ammy so we have an idea of its color? If it's pale, it might look good with a darker one, like a gradation of tones.

--- Laurie

img_2692.jpg
img_2685.jpg

it does play very well with a light green stone! I just can't find one to fit my size and budget though - 9mm round, it looks like a peridot is my best bet but it tends to be highly saturated.

a darker amethyst is well-priced and a good option at the moment - unless you guys happen to know where i can get a well-priced 9mm round yellow/green stone?

xx TIA!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonyachancs|1408453816|3735435 said:
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

img_2692.jpg
img_2685.jpg

it does play very well with a light green stone! I just can't find one to fit my size and budget though - 9mm round, it looks like a peridot is my best bet but it tends to be highly saturated.

a darker amethyst is well-priced and a good option at the moment - unless you guys happen to know where i can get a well-priced 9mm round yellow/green stone?

xx TIA!!

Even a peridot?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Too pricey? Too bright? MC's stones are a little more muted in person than pictured.
<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1763155930"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>multicolour</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>detail</span><span>/?</span><span>1763155930</span></a>

I've been staring at multicolour for ages. are the stones well-cut? also - I'm budgeting about 100 (hopefully less!) for the stone :D

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pretty color amethyst!! Are you sure you wouldn't consider another color halo? When I was thinking of using a different color halo with my pink diamond one of the vendors found me this parcel of 1.3mm green sapphires. I think this color combo would be gorgeous with your amethyst and a totally different type of halo than an ering.

photo_847.jpg

img_5365.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonyachancs|1408496630|3735894 said:
I've been staring at multicolour for ages. are the stones well-cut? also - I'm budgeting about 100 (hopefully less!) for the stone :D

Not all their stones are well cut but the one I suggested is.

Contact Gary to see what he has available. He should be able to get you a muted 9 mm peridot within your budget.
http://www.diamondexpert.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results