shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson Big Show Open to Public

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
''Scopers!

Even though I have my prior purchases from last week which will be photo''d this weekend now that my husband got the one flight out of DC this week, LOL, I have to tell someone who will appreciate this my experience at The Gem & Mineral Show at the Convention Center put on by the Tucson Gem & Mineral Society.

''Kay. Keep in mind I pretty much spent my entire budget last week.

So Bob and I go by the Bridges Tsavorite Company booth and unlike for the trade show, they had specimens out! Bob bought a spectacular beryl crystal, I''ll get a pic posted with an object next to it for scale. So I had the fun of talking to the Bridges, buying my husband a great item he loved, and hearing hoi palloi asking "How much is that green ring?" of Bruce, LOL.

So after we finish there, I want to go to the Gemfix booth, congratulate Andrew Gulij on his cutting award of this year/show, and to let him know his peridot I bought was being sent by Julia KT right now. I mentioned I was shut out of the spessies at the show last week.

Oh. My. God. Andrew got out several trays of great spessies and one in particular had the Fanta color, it was cushion cut by Andrew just beautifully, lot of sparkle and fire, and about 7.96 ct. Pretty much eye clean. When the drool cleared, I realized:

I HAD ALREADY SPENT MY MONEY LAST WEEK. He made me an insane offer but still, I COULD NOT DO IT!

I''ll probably be remembering that moment when I''m 92.

And it that was not enough, he had lovely, lovely spessie cabs, sugarloaves, ovals, very very clean and very glowly. Good good prices.

I moped my way through the rest of the show. According to Bob, I was no longer good company, hee.

If those spessies must go to other homes, it should be PS-ers.

THese stones are not pictured on his site but he would send you off a pic.

If you buy that Fanta stone, I want you to call it "Christina!!!!"

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I went as well. I was with my mom, sister, and my niece (who is 3 months old). Question: Was there more upstairs?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Y2kitty, nothing upstairs, just the two large large halls and then the exhibitors in the lobby.

I like your avatar, y2kitty.

Did you buy anything at the show?

I also bought an amethyst cathedral geode for my mom.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I bought the ring in my avatar at the show! I was excited because I have wanted a spess since I first saw one, and its just easier for me to buy already set jewelry, so when I found a piece I liked I jumped on it.

I'm sorry you had to turn down that amazing spess. At least it saves you the cost of setting it right?

I also did the cheesy fake mining thing outside with the little kids!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Y2, love your ring! Beauty orange color. I''ll look go see if you have a thread on this, love to know the details.

BTW, cheezie mining activities for kids results in geologists, that is how my husband got started. We also go through the fluorescent tents too, LOL.

I love cheeze, love hype, do NOT love attitude, LOL!

Not a lot of ''tude at the show this year, happy to say.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
This new ring is a showstopper for sure but she''s hard to photograph so I haven''t made a thread.

I can''t wait to see the stuff you bought!!!

I tried on a 6 carat paraiba. It was so pretty! What did you try on that you liked?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I did not try on any of the ready jewelry there, turned up my nose at it, and then I saw a case full of some really nicely made jewelry with some respectable colored gemstones! You must have found a similar case too, I like your ring, please tell more about it, size of center stone, etc.

I did see some wonderful paraibas there. They just take your breath away, don''t they.

I promise to post pics shortly, my camera has been in DC with my husband who was stranded in the storms there.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How was the Bridges'' exhibit (not their booth)? What about the various museums''?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
The Smithsonian sent a tiara that had a guard with it. GIA''s display with the map of Africa and every jewel found there was very good. I did not see the Bridges'' display.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Empress Marie Louise''s diadem, on loan from the Smithsonian.

marielouisediadem.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting that, y2kitty. You photography is so clear,

I was able to read the card-fascinating. Would you mind sharing what kind of camera you have?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS. It was a gift from my bf, so he did all the research and picked it out and I know very little about except that it takes nice pictures.

I would have liked to take a picture of the GIA "Gems of Africa" display but it was so crowded I could not.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Stonie,

I was able to get the dealer I work with to buy something for me last week. I''ve not seen it yet, but I have a photo I can share. Do you mind? (This is your thread, but I''ve not really got enough for another whole Tucson thread!)

Pink

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Please do post that pic! The more the merrier!

And I do have some good news of my own:

I bought that 7.46 ct cushion spessie from Andrew/Gemfix!!! I expect it next week
36.gif

I now expect to follow in LTP''s footsteps with a bezel setting!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Stonie, whatever will you do with a spess that size? What shape? You will have to show us. Too bad you did not take photos of more of the spess.

Well, here is what I got from Tucson. I''ve not seen it yet. The Emerald is from Zambia, and I am told it is clean and bright. It is a radiant with chunkier faceting than usual.
The size is 7x7. As is common, the dealer said that the green is hard to photograph.
The sidestones are carre cuts, 3mm each. When one stone is focused, the others sort of go out of focus.

carre1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PT,
That appears to be a very nice emerald. I can't wait to see your finished ring. It's utterly impossible to capture the green of an emerald, or the velvet luster, with a camera. I bet it's a billion times nicer in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Tower,
That’s an awesome combo; shimmering green with the contrast of flashy carre cuts.

Stonie,
I can’t want to see pictures of this amazing spess! We need a ton of details too like shape, origin (if you know it) and cutting pattern name (if it has one).

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
StonieGrl, can''t wait to see the huge spess! How did you end up getting it anyway?

Pink Tower, beautiful emerald! Can''t wait to see the finished product!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
y2kitty:
I''m excited over the emerald! I will post more photos of it eventually.
I was able to make out the card under the tiara you posted, and read that all those stones were originally EMERALDS!!!
I also read that there are 700 carats of diamonds. Wow, no wonder there was a guard.
I have been to Smithsonian a lot; I cannot recall seeing that piece. Maybe it is always travelling.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 7:58:51 AM
Author: Chrono
Pink Tower,
That’s an awesome combo; shimmering green with the contrast of flashy carre cuts.

Stonie,
I can’t want to see pictures of this amazing spess! We need a ton of details too like shape, origin (if you know it) and cutting pattern name (if it has one).
Big ditto from me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results