shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson 2014

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We are still in the golden age of yellow chrysoberyl, it would seem. Is the name bad marketing, I wonder?

There still seem to be nice (though maybe not spectacular) rough coming out of brazil at fair prices. If I had good chryso on my list, I would certainly consider contacting some cutters who cut to order and ask them about it. I have a niceish chryso, but I'm still giving myself ideas...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotta say that when speaking of chrysoberyl, my favorite by far is the choice Tanzanian neon chryso. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Me too, Minou. Exactly what I'd like & not so easy to find these days. TL's from a few years ago is stunning. TL's everything is stunning. :sun:

I would love to have a yellow stone set w/white diamonds but it's darned hard to find a clear yellow without brown or orange. Not interested in making compromises on that. So I probably won't ever have one.

--- Laurie

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I wish someone would buy that YELLOW alleged chrysoberyl from simplysapphires and send it to a lab. If it IS a chryso it is fantastic and if not it would put the minds of so many of us at rest. I would do it but these days I really dont have an extra $800+ that I can tie up like that.
Also want to say that Danburite can cut quite a sparkly stone. What it lacks in RI it makes up for with a medium high dispersion, so in well cut barion type designs it can be very impressive. And these new Tanzanian ones that are coming out are brighter more vivid yellows than the straw colored ones out of burma.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really liked Gene's danburite: set that thing in 22k gold!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1392257677|3614043 said:
I wish someone would buy that YELLOW alleged chrysoberyl from simplysapphires and send it to a lab. If it IS a chryso it is fantastic and if not it would put the minds of so many of us at rest. I would do it but these days I really dont have an extra $800+ that I can tie up like that.
Also want to say that Danburite can cut quite a sparkly stone. What it lacks in RI it makes up for with a medium high dispersion, so in well cut barion type designs it can be very impressive. And these new Tanzanian ones that are coming out are brighter more vivid yellows than the straw colored ones out of burma.

Hmm, now you have me curious - I must have missed this. Why is it unlikely that it is not the real deal - is it just too dayglo or something?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gotcha now! Either really bad camera shake or it sure looks like a zircon! Thanks for reminding me. :))

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love the yellow stone(danburite), that Gene pictured. Great color.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL where did you get the information that the Tanzanian danburite is both plentiful and inexpensive? The people I talked to from Africa relayed neither to me. I have heard that there is not a lot of facet grade material, most is cab grade. One person in Africa now controls the production and that the price has gone up since this occurred.

The JTV stone is priced at $275 per ct. So more than most tourmaline on the market.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1392307935|3614368 said:
TL where did you get the information that the Tanzanian danburite is both plentiful and inexpensive? The people I talked to from Africa relayed neither to me. I have heard that there is not a lot of facet grade material, most is cab grade. One person in Africa now controls the production and that the price has gone up since this occurred.

The JTV stone is priced at $275 per ct. So more than most tourmaline on the market.

I apologize Gene, that was just the feeling I got from what I read here. Thanks for correcting me.

JTV tends to be expensive IMHO, so I figured it would be less expensive material through a dealer like you.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1392319809|3614550 said:
Nice looking stones in your avatars Loverskites and pregcurious!

Thanks =) Mine is a sphalerite which I photoshop'd inexpertly. I didn't like the brown in it so I made it all flashy and over saturated :naughty: . Here's the original-

spanish-sphalerite-1864-1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1392320235|3614561 said:
PrecisionGem|1392319809|3614550 said:
Nice looking stones in your avatars Loverskites and pregcurious!

Thanks =) Mine is a sphalerite which I photoshop'd inexpertly. I didn't like the brown in it so I made it all flashy and over saturated :naughty: . Here's the original-

I thought that was a sphalerite. One of the most gorgeous gem species ever, especially when well cut and clean like yours.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1392320235|3614561 said:
I didn't like the brown in it so I made it all flashy and over saturated :naughty: . Here's the original-

I prefer your original over the your avatar but it's a pretty stone any way you look at it.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1392325273|3614651 said:
I prefer your original over the your avatar but it's a pretty stone any way you look at it.

TL said:
I thought that was a sphalerite. One of the most gorgeous gem species ever, especially when well cut and clean like yours.

Oopsies - maybe I should've clarified - this is NOT my stone. I wish! It's a 18.64ct one I found on www.gem-sphalerite.com

I agree TL - thank heavens its 3.5 on moh's scale - otherwise who knows how much it would cost if it was practical to set!

Chrono - I understand why you prefer the real one because it actually looks - well - real, but I think I have a thing for badly glammed up gems :bigsmile: I did buy a little orange sphalerite a few days ago from TGT which I may or may not make a thread about. If I can get a good photo I'll change my avatar to it too :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LK,
Please start a new thread and post pictures of your sphalerite. I'd love to see it.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I saw and bought a bunch of yellow Danburite in Tanzania back in June, and actually did some field gemology in the back of a truck outside Morogoro for miners who thought it was Tourmaline.

I've got nothing cut in stock, because I can't KEEP it in stock. Seriously pretty stuff but neither plentiful nor cheap.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
My husband got some yellow danburite to cut (Lisa: it'll be that or the lovely teal tourmaline you sent; can't go wrong either way! :D), and I have to say it is such a beautiful, sunny, happy, pure yellow color. No green component as with chryso (which could be a pos or neg, depending on if you like a hint of green), and no brown. As for sapphire, you sometimes have to be concerned with BE treatment on the yellows.

Anyway, the color makes me think of daffodils and baby chicks (hahahaha - maybe I'm just really ready to be through with this winter!) It's such a different hue in his rough box and I'm really excited to see how it turns out!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1392327297|3614690 said:
Chrono|1392325273|3614651 said:

TL said:

Oopsies - maybe I should've clarified - this is NOT my stone. I wish! It's a 18.64ct one I found on www.gem-sphalerite.com

I agree TL - thank heavens its 3.5 on moh's scale - otherwise who knows how much it would cost if it was practical to set!

Chrono - I understand why you prefer the real one because it actually looks - well - real, but I think I have a thing for badly glammed up gems :bigsmile: I did buy a little orange sphalerite a few days ago from TGT which I may or may not make a thread about. If I can get a good photo I'll change my avatar to it too :))

I love that website and their videos, too bad everything is sold. Yes, if it were a hard gem, it would probably be worth a fortune.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Gene. It's a Burmese red spinel. The pic is was taken outside on a bright, overcast day. No Photoshop. It normally looks more neutral red than this (to me), but like all spinels, it shifts slightly so it can look like this.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1392318228|3614517 said:
pregcurious|1392314359|3614471 said:

Pain... the exact thing I feel when looking at that poor stone ;(
That poor rough had no chance in the hands of whoever cut it. Maybe there is a pretty stone hidden inside.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392327826|3614702 said:
LK,
Please start a new thread and post pictures of your sphalerite. I'd love to see it.

+1!!! I think they're gorgeous, but I've only seen them in vendor pics and videos - really quite amazing!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1392345182|3614944 said:
LoversKites|1392318228|3614517 said:
pregcurious|1392314359|3614471 said:

Pain... the exact thing I feel when looking at that poor stone ;(
That poor rough had no chance in the hands of whoever cut it. Maybe there is a pretty stone hidden inside.

I don't think they managed to get it out . . . :)

Gene's is much nicer. Like comparing a go-kart to a Ferrari. . . :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It does hurt to look at it. Then I saw the price & got a good laugh. Some poor soul will buy it, too, unfortunately.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, at least its natural and untreated. I saw an ad for Macy's today for diffused sapphire rings. They were in rose gold with a little bit of melee, and they were advertised as "diffused." They wanted at least almost $5K for them. :shock:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1392418837|3615491 said:
It does hurt to look at it. Then I saw the price & got a good laugh. Some poor soul will buy it, too, unfortunately.
WOW! I did not even look at the price before.

I am in the wrong business.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results