color
clarity

Trying out sugarloaf cabs

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like them both and think they would look very pretty in rose gold, but they are sold. I hope it was you that bought them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like sugarloafs (sugarloaves?) a lot. Those are nice -- especially the rhodolite. RG would be super with them.

--- Laurie

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was me that bought them. I thought I'd better do it since I was posting them here. :wink2: I was hoping they would look good in rose gold because they both have a reddish tint to them. The amethyst looks really pretty but I hope they are not too dark for bezels.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I faux bezeled an amethyst an amethyst cab with prongs and you can still see that it's purple. I think it can be done but it depends on the stone I guess.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
l love cabs whether sugar or not.
congrats!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of sugarloaf amethysts too.
I was thinking of bezel settings in pair of simple band rings and finding a third ring to stack. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Something like this

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1388775748.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both have potential. Let us know how they look to you when they arrive. We haven't have any reviews for ArtCut for some time now.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh Elisateach that is pretty! We shall see how they are in person. Extremely fast shipping as they have already gone out today! I like the green tourmaline but it seems pretty included and is more than I want to pay if I don't like the cut. Although he does allow returns.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Here is mine. It's not a sugarloaf though. I think it would be called a square cushion cab? It's pretty high domed. I made a low bezel that doesn't cover much but works as a basket and then added prongs to hold it in place.

amethyst_0.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Here is mine. It's not a sugarloaf though. I think it would be called a square cushion cab? It's pretty high domed. I made a low bezel that doesn't cover much but works as a basket and then added prongs to hold it in place.

amethyst_9.jpg

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So eager to see them set! I like double prongs at the corners like the ring above.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to seeing pics when you get them in hand though it might be an idea to leave the backs open if you're going to bezel.

IK - lovely amethyst :) Did you make the setting? Well done!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1388971309|3587099 said:
So eager to see them set! I like double prongs at the corners like the ring above.

Me too, double prongs with an open back, as Starzin suggested.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice ideas! IK I like that ring! I am not sure about the rhodolite as a ring now because the shape is not symmetrical. For a pendant this would not bother me because it could be set east west with the shorter side on top. In a ring it could be done the same way I guess?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I got them today and they are pretty! But I think the rhodolite is too small for a single stone type setting and I am not sure about the non-symmetrical cut. Not sure if I will keep it. The amethyst is a nice size and would make a pretty pendant. Lots of pics for you!

First the rhodolite

dscn1228.jpg

dscn1229.jpg

dscn1230.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zambian amethyst

9.7mm x 10.6mm

dscn1235.jpg

dscn1237.jpg

dscn1238.jpg

_13485.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is that line at the bottom a crack or a flaw of some sort? My eyes are so bad I cannot see it real well when examining the stone in person.

dscn1239.jpg

dscn1240.jpg

_13486.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow fast shipping. I hope it's not a serious flaw. I think both stones are very pretty and can't wait to see what you do with the amethyst!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank IK!

Is it possible that it is not a flaw inside but the cutting on the bottom?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I cannot say enough nice things about Rick at Artcut! I emailed this pic to him and he thinks there is a problem with the stone. He is willing to send out another or refund for the stones and my return shipping. I just emailed him 45 mins ago and he already answered me. Now that is customer service! :appl:

_13487.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1389060499|3587878 said:
Thank IK!

Is it possible that it is not a flaw inside but the cutting on the bottom?
Maybe it just wasn't finished as neatly as it could have been at the bottom. Is it just a rough patch? Or does it go through the gem?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty colours both of them. It looks to me as though there are some bubbles across the bottom. They shouldn't affect the setting but you could email back the last photo - where we can see it across the bottom corner - as well as the pic of the bottom and ask about the structural integrity particularly if they weren't shown in the pics, or mentioned, prior to you buying it.

I think the garnet is so pretty - perhaps you could play up the slightly splayed shape by echoing it in a ring or pendant mount?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oops. I see I didn't actually read your last post - you have been in contact. Well done to have an answer so soon and a great response at that.

Looking forward to the next iteration :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you keeping the rhodolite too?
Are you accepting a refund or exchange on the amethyst?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not keeping the rhodolite it is just too small. I am getting a refund right now for both but Rick says he has more of the amethyst he can cut. He will cut it to the size I want for my pendant so I need to figure that out. And if he can do that then I may want to have a nice green tourmaline done instead because I have no green in my jewelry wardrobe except a light emerald cut bi-color tourmaline.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's good that you are returning both because I don't get the feeling that you love either stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results