shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying out my new found???? photo skills on a sphene

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
After receiving some helpful hints, I decided to take another go at photographing some of my stones. I always do better with set stones than unset, so I decided to give my recently set sphene a go. A bit of history to explain the setting first if you don't mind.

I bought this heart setting for my mom in the late 80's - nothing special but very sparkly and she loved it. The diamonds look good to the naked eye and look ok under 5x magnification. They start showing little spots at 10x, but they are probably only 2 or 3 pointers, so that's not a problem. It was set in yg as was almost everything at the time. The setting is just over 3/4" x 3/4" and the sphene is a 1.62ct - 8.03 x 7.81 x 4.24mm natural sphene from Ceylon (and no, I don't have paperwork on it because I didn't pay much for it).

I got the pendant back when my mom passed away last October and even though I wasn't mad about the setting, (I'm not into hearts) I didn't want to sell it for emotional reasons so it's just sat in my jewelry box since then. A while back I bought this sphene and figured it would just be part of my collection because I didn't want to chance it in a ring.... a couple of weeks ago I got the idea of putting the sphene in the heart necklace to make it look "less like a heart and more like a sparkly pendant" if that makes sense and just got it back. Because the heart had more diamonds on one side than the other, the pendant can look a bit lop sided if you stare at it, but because all of the stones sparkle soooo much, I don't think it's that noticeable - it mostly just looks like sparkle.

The photos are more to show off all of the different flashy colors of the sphene than the actual finished piece.... Please bear with me - very pic heavy.....

BTW, I didn't manipulate the color in any way. I did lighten one or two shots to show off the stone better, but other than that, they were just cropped. Some of the photos are with more diffused lighting and some are with a spotlight. I focused on the internal part of the stone is a couple of shots and then backed off just enough to show just the top of the faceting - I LOVE these stones!

sphene2.JPG

sphene6.JPG

sphene7.JPG

sphene8.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
More

sphene9.JPG

sphene10.JPG

sphene11.JPG

sphene12.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
still more

sphene13.JPG

sphene14.JPG

sphene15.JPG

sphene17.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
ok, this is it.....

sphene18.JPG

sphene19.JPG

sphene20.JPG

sphene21.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Great photos, colorluvr, and what a treasured momento of your mom. I can see only one tiny chip, but otherwise that stone is in really good condition for having been worn since the 80's. I'm nervous about setting my sphene, but since that one's been set twice, I have hope! I love how yours looks yellow in some lights and green in others, and I know it's nearly impossible to capture all the dispersion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pendant, but you do realize you picked out one of the most difficult gems to properly photograph. I'm impressed with your budgening photo skills.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo yeah baby, thas a rock!! :love: Can you tell I just love those crazy stones??

-A

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani|1295559321|2828022 said:
Great photos, colorluvr, and what a treasured momento of your mom. I can see only one tiny chip, but otherwise that stone is in really good condition for having been worn since the 80's. I'm nervous about setting my sphene, but since that one's been set twice, I have hope! I love how yours looks yellow in some lights and green in others, and I know it's nearly impossible to capture all the dispersion.

Thanks - apologies if I confused you - the stone is new and was just set - then pendant (without the sphene) has been worn since the 80's. I found the tiny nick once I saw it in the photos, but I missed it with the loupe until I knew where to look, so it's really really small. I don't know if it was there before it was set or happened during setting, but considering the stone, I'm glad it's not worse. :errrr:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
colorluvr|1295560092|2828038 said:
cellentani|1295559321|2828022 said:

Thanks - apologies if I confused you - the stone is new and was just set - then pendant (without the sphene) has been worn since the 80's. I found the tiny nick once I saw it in the photos, but I missed it with the loupe until I knew where to look, so it's really really small. I don't know if it was there before it was set or happened during setting, but considering the stone, I'm glad it's not worse. :errrr:
Okay, what is with me lately?! I need to slow down when reading your posts, colorluvr!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good job on the photos! I have a heck of a time getting nice enough pics of my stones, much less one like sphene! I bet the pendant is just dazzling when it's on!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Really nice job with your photos. My favorites are the ones with the sphene in focus and the diamonds are just background sparkle and blur...great control over the depth of field. Sphenes are my current favorite stone.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!
Those photos are fantastical !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pictures – I can see the double refraction and light play (dispersion) within the sphene. :appl: I could never hope to take pictures this clear like these.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1295619561|2828630 said:
Great pictures – I can see the double refraction and light play (dispersion) within the sphene. :appl: I could never hope to take pictures this clear like these.

Thank you Chrono, I'm very flattered - now if I just had the collection that a few of you have on here to photograph- sigh!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful pics, and rocks too. :love:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm completely impressed with your photography skills, congratulations!

I love the story behind the pendant, it's very sweet that you have found a way to enjoy something that obviously meant a lot to your mom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results