shape
carat
color
clarity

Travelling with Jewelry

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
I need some advice. My DH is in the military and we are being stationed overseas. This is not my first military move, but it is the first one in which we are not able to move some of our own goods (read: valuables) in our car, ourselves, as we drive to the new base. I have a small jewelry roll in which I usually put my most valuable jewelry when I travel, but it can't hold everything. Obviously I don't want to check my jewelry. It needs to come with me. I would like to purchase something that can fold up in my carryon and hold most everything. Does anyone have any experience with the QVC folding organizer? I am a little worried about whatever it is treated with; is it safe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QVC-Prezerve-Lt-Blue-Jewelry-Organizer-Travel-Case-Roll-Lori-Greiner-Flexzorb-/150801465574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c77c0e6

This, or just several more silk jewelry rolls, is the only thing I can find that might hold everything so I can carry it with me. If anyone knows anything else, please let me know!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know luggage sets they sell? LLbeans sells them, The Traveller, sometimes Overstock.com has them. Sometimes there is a small cosmetic coffret or whatever you call it. Perhaps they are even meant for jewelry. They usually have combination locks, are sturdy and more noticeable among your luggage; it is more difficult to lose, too. I would use such a thing. I bought mine at Loehmans and it is very handy. Also, your jewelry will not get bent or broken in the process of the move.

Good luck with your stay overseas!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
The only thing is, I need something that can fold up and fit in a carry on if possible. I will be taking most of my professional equipment on board with me (instruments) and my camera stuff (also do some photo work). I just can't check that stuff, and if I can only have two official carryons, those are my carryons. My camera bag has a large laptop compartment where I was planning on putting jewelery and a change of clothes. Any ideas for a soft, fold up style bag that will still protect?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm having to travel with my jewelry soon, and I am anxious to see the responses.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a little jewelry box that holds about 8 rings and has 2 little cubby holes. I put earrings in little gem bags, don't mess with more than one pendant / bracelet but take some rings and earrings. I carry the little box in my purse. I don't trust checking it in my luggage or leaving it in a carry on bag.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I love the jewelry portfolio at Red Envelope

WA_11_GEN_ST197239_BF_W2_RC

http://gifts.redenvelope.com/jewelr...p=rjbox&reviews=19&ratings=4.9474&catid=rjbox

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much jewelry do you have?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I think Freke's question is pertinent to the answer. Do you want to take everything? Are you making a selection to take and putting the rest in the bank? Do you know how long you're going for?

Love that Red Envelope one and I have a pink leather roll-up with clear insides which means I can see what's in it while travelling and using, but let's face it, when you get where you're going everything will presumably have a new home anyway. Or is this something you envisage your jewellery living in the whole time you're away?

ETA: Okay a quick Google brought up this site. http://www.ebags.com/category/travel-jewelry-cases/20041658. There seems to be quite a few travel options - the Rowallan and Royce appealed to me particularly.

Google images will give you the quickest overview of the myriad of options - then just click on an option that appeals and it will take you to the webstie.

There's always this option after you've taken out everything it comes with and repacked it with your goodies :naughty: :bigsmile:

backpack.png

travelling-jewellery-case.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to keep things as low key and compact as possible. Each item goes into a little plastic ziplock baggie that is stuffed with cotton pads/rolls. Then all the baggies are put together into one larger ziplocked bag, then rolled up with more padding and stuffed into one of the larger internal zipped pocket of a handbag. This is my unconventional method of carrying a handful of select jewellery across international borders by air. Yeah, not a pretty method but at least it doesn't look like a jewellery bag or case.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1335331679|3180068 said:
I try to keep things as low key and compact as possible. Each item goes into a little plastic ziplock baggie that is stuffed with cotton pads/rolls. Then all the baggies are put together into one larger ziplocked bag, then rolled up with more padding and stuffed into one of the larger internal zipped pocket of a handbag. This is my unconventional method of carrying a handful of select jewellery across international borders by air. Yeah, not a pretty method but at least it doesn't look like a jewellery bag or case.
I do the same thing.

Haha, no it probably looks like we're carrying drugs! little baggies of white cotton wool.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That's a really good idea, Chrono. I may go that route. It's squishy, and free. :)

I am trying to take all my jewelry; I have quite a lot. Most of it is pre-PS jewelry :), but most of it is still pretty good quality. Much of it is unique--things my parents have brought back for me from their travels, etc, things like paua shell necklaces and earrings, and bone, etc. I have probably 20 rings, a bunch of necklaces, earrings, etc. The thing is I can not take another separate "bag," it has to fit in a bag I already am taking on because I already have two carry-ons. That's why I was looking at the QVC one, but I don't like the idea of the treatment. We are going to be overseas at least three years, so I am going to have them pack the jewelry box so I can use it when I get there, but I don't want them to pack the jewelry. This is mainly for transport purposes while we are en route and waiting for our housing to open up. I do not intend on leaving it in this system when I arrive, but we will likely be in a hotel for about two months until we can get into our house, also, so it will need to be this way for about three months total. My other thought was buying a few of these style carriers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Fleece-Jewelry-Travel-pouch-Roll-up-Case-Snap-10-1-2-x6-folded-/320884347839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab63293bf

Are these safe?

Or, this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-50-pieces-jewelry-necklace-special-silk-bags-/160784942408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256f878548

And then stuffing them with cotton balls, one piece each, and putting them in a larger bag that would fit in my carryon. Safe?

I will check out some of those links, thanks!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
If you have anything that will get crushed in a bag, I put them into the little ziplock jewelry bags and then into the flat ziplock plastic container that look like tupperware (looks like it'll hold a sandwich). I've traveled internationally when taking jewelry wire-wrapping supplies with me to make jewelry for family while I'm visiting, and this was the safest way to ensure nothing got scratched. Other than that, Chrono's idea or the jewelry rolls.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the suggestion of a hard case for items that are likely to get crushed. I am on the road this week, so in addition to the cotton ball and baggie, I put the entire little package into a small hard plastic case as added protection against chipping.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never really thought about it, but I'd be in trouble if I had to move - what exactly do you do with unset stones? I guess you could do as Chrono suggests and wrap them individually with cotton, put them in their baggies, put them in bigger ziplocs and then mail their gem cases in a box? I just think I'll stay put, and I don't even have that much jewelry!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the no-frills plastic bag camp too. I mostly use the 2 x 2-inch size for everything from earrings to necklaces, and a padded ring roll for rings. then all the earring baggies get put into a small zippered fabric pouch, necklaces in another, etc. If I'm afraid something will get crushed, I'll put the baggies in a hard-sided eye glass case, but any plastic container will do. It's not pretty, but it's lightweight, keeps things from getting tangled, and doesn't scream "I'm carrying a bank vault of valuables".

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't carry much bling like this but this ziplock thing is a great idea and I like the eyeglass case idea too.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite travelling jewelry pouch is this little 7"'x2.5" zippered pouch with five compartments inside made out of soft velour type material. It is probably not big enough for carrying all your jewelry, but it's great for short trips up to a week or so. The compartments prevent the pieces from rubbing each other and it is compact enough to keep inside the zippered comparment of my purse. I can fit several pairs of earrings, several rings and two necklaces or bracelets in this pouch. I bought this from Edwards Luggage several years ago and would like to buy more. But it is no longer available. It was made by a small family owned company called Galante in Kentucky. I found out there was a fire in the factory and the company out of business for a while. They are in business again, but don't seem to be making this jewelry pouch anymore.

jewelry pouch 2s.jpg

jewelry pouch1s.jpg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to go either the multiple roll route or the plastic bag route, because they have to be able to go inside my other carryon. I do like those Red Envelope, but I don't want to spend that much just to transport the jewelry. What I might could do is put the rolls in a flat style tupperware to prevent squishage/breakage.

Thanks for the help everyone!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't tried this yet, but read that threading necklaces / chains thru straws is a good way to prevent tangles when packing jewelry.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Update: What I have decided to do is this:

Today I went out and bought a gigantic pill organizer. It's got about 30 compartments, plus I have one already. I have used this technique when traveling before, but only for a few pieces and didn't think of doing it with lots of them until the other day. I am planning on putting each piece of good jewelry I want to bring with me (I have some costume stuff too, that can go in my checked baggage) in a compartment, and then stuffing cotton balls in it as well so it won't scratch/rattle. the compartments break apart, so I don't need to use them all, and I can then put whatever compartments fit into my carryon using minimal space.

Total cost: $5--pill organizer. $1--cotton balls, for a total of $6. And, if really necessary, I can label each compartment with what is inside. It also solves the problem of items being squished or crushed because of the plastic around each pill compartment. It probably won't hold items such as my pearl necklace or bracelets, but if I transfer the items I normally carry in the roll to the pill holder, the pearls can have enough room in the soft sided roll.

Just thought I would pass the idea along. I imagine it would also be a good way of transporting loose stones if you ever needed to, because you could pad each compartment and put the stone in it. If you were really looking for more protection, I suppose you could glue in the padding and modify the pill organizer completely. The one I got has fairly sizeable compartments for a pill organizer, not the teeny tiny ones. This is for actually moving/transporting my jewelry overseas to live, not just a short trip. For a short trip, the ones you all posted looked great! I love the red envelope ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results