shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline(Afghanistan)

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
It's pretty! Looks very clean, nice size, serene green tourmaline. I really dig that Afghan material. Is that a small window? Might close with the right setting? I think it would make a perfect pendant...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very bright and well cut tourmaline. It doesn't have the typical green tourmaline colour. I like the open C axis!

Ephsea,
I don't think the stone is windowed; what you are seeing is a tilt window, which tends to be seen more easily in a low RI stone such as tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice grassy green tourmaline, and nice cutting, no window. It's also not extinct like a lot of green tourmaline.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
I'm up in the air if there is a window; but its not really bothering me.

Any idea what the industry perception of Afghani Tourmaline is?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthstar|1397758223|3655081 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't think origin matters for tourmaline. I've seen some really nice Afghan tourmaline and some not so nice ones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plenty of Afghan tourmaline although as you said, mining is sporadic and challenging. :))

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Love the color!

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Is there a sticky/article anywhere that would explain this color/axis phenomena that you are referring to? I'm trying to learn more, and PS seems to be the best place!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
Truthstar|1397703660|3654789 said:
Thoughts on this? Purchased it the other day. 2.03ct

tourm2.jpg

toum.jpg

Nice color, almost looks peridot-ish. Doesnt seem to have a window. From what we can see, it seems clean.

**BTW: Where did you get that gem box that its sitting in?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1397759157|3655092 said:
Truthstar|1397758223|3655081 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't think origin matters for tourmaline. I've seen some really nice Afghan tourmaline and some not so nice ones.

The only time origin matters for tourmaline is for the true Brazilian paraiba material with the neon color.

Afghan material is typically known for a nice mint color, but there's all kinds of tourmaline colors. Much of it is irradiated from what I hear from over there.

In any case, I don't see a window, and you have a pleasing stone. Enjoy it for what it is, a nice grassy green tourmaline

A closed C axis just means that the crystal is very dark along one axis of growth, and depending on how the lapidary cuts it, the stone can be very extinct (dark). Here's an example of a stone with a very dark axis as seen towards the ends of the stone. If you were to look at it directly down the end of the stone, it would be very dark, but the table is bright, so the lapidary was able to cut it so that the stone would appear bright face up.

Sometimes, to save weight, a stone isn't cut to show off how bright it is. Your stone has no darkness, or dark edges, so it's obviously all open color (no dark axis in the original rough crystal).

_2067.jpg

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
[/quote]

**BTW: Where did you get that gem box that its sitting in?[/quote]

Came w/ it

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RedSpinel|1397762568|3655136 said:
**BTW: Where did you get that gem box that its sitting in?
You can buy 100 of 'em here =)
https://www.fetpak.com/index.php/jewelry-boxes-gemstone-boxes-c-215_223_251

But I seem to remember one of "our" lapidarists-vendors saying he does not recommend this kind, that you're better off using gem jars/boxes that have a flat foam insert -- not one with the slot -- because you should store the stone "upside down" anyway.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
bump.

What's the market like for this type of tourmaline these days and down the road? Avg price per ct, availability, etc. Thanks

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I reviewed the sites listed but haven't really come across a similar type tourmaline. I did find one online pictured. The price difference is large...thoughts?

mom_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthstar|1409348669|3741693 said:
Thanks Chrono. I reviewed the sites listed but haven't really come across a similar type tourmaline. I did find one online pictured. The price difference is large...thoughts?

mom_0.jpg

Overpriced IMO.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:shock:

1000 pct for an non paraiba tourmaline with a bit more then 2 ct!!

I wouldn't pay 200 pct for this ...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On ebay, you can find some of the best prices for green tourmaline, just be careful that the vendor has high ratings, beware of photoshop and enhanced pics, and check negative feedback on toolhaus.org.

This light bright green ones are nice. I never purchased from this vendor though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-77ct-ULTRA-RARE-LUSTROUS-PLAE-GREEN-NATURAL-ELBITE-TOURMALINE-2350-/200949979903?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item2ec98d5aff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-52ct-HI-END-LUSTROUS-LIGHT-GREEN-NATURAL-ELBITE-TOURMALINE-2863-/200947399407?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item2ec965faef

While the Afghan one in the listing above for $1K/ct is a nice open color, I think you can find the same color for less than half the price if you look around. Vendors can charge whatever they want of course.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results