shape
carat
color
clarity

To buy or not buy a silky sapphire?

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm trying to make a decision whether to buy or pass on this untreated montana sapphire so I'd love your help. I haven't ever had a silky stone before and that's exactly what this one is; however, I absolutely love the untreated aspect and the green color is divine. Pictures are all outdoor with one indoor.

To those who have silky sapphires, what do you think? Why do you love them? What do yours look like in different lighting?

Stats:
3.40cts
10mm x 8mm
Clarity: probably VS
Untreated

_21701.jpg

_21702.jpg

_21703.jpg

_21704.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the most part, I am not a fan of silky stones with very few exceptions (emerald and super high end blue sapphire). They make me think I am seeing an oily film and I keep rubbing the crown, hoping to remove that film.

S

SparkliesLuver

That was my gut reaction, Chrono. That I'd be like how you described. There's something about the green that I like (even though I'm sure it's not exactly a popular color) and the untreated part. I feel like so many sapphires are heated, so when you find one that isn't it seems a bit special. But I also don't want to spend money on something that's not worth it, either.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1409144609|3740045 said:
For the most part, I am not a fan of silky stones with very few exceptions (emerald and super high end blue sapphire). They make me think I am seeing an oily film and I keep rubbing the crown, hoping to remove that film.

haha i feel the same way

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many Montana sapphires are now heat treated, but not always disclosed. It is also possible for a heated stone to still be silky or have intact rutile.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think silk lends a certain appeal to fine blue sapphires, but not the particular green color in that one. If I were to buy a greyish green sapphire, I would want it to be very clean, precision cut and sparkly. JMO.

S

SparkliesLuver

That is true. You make a valid point, Chrono. This one, he assured me, is not heated. He debated having it heated but in the end did not. If I were to buy it, I'd have it checked anyway.

Deep down, I think I agree with you, TL. I think I want to see the sparkles and have it be better cut.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I love that color, but I couldn't live with those black speck inclusions, personally. The cut looks to be to maximize weight - since this stone will never sparkle anyways with all that silk, that makes sense.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for weighing in. I agree with what everyone has said, so I've decided to pass on the stone. Thank you for your opinions!

Onto better options... :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the vendor calls it VS, which I take it to be eye clean without a loupe, will those black specks really matter if they cannot be seen without magnification?

S

SparkliesLuver

Can you circle them in the picture? Because apparently I'm missing them. :oops:

My biggest hesitation was the silk. I've never had a silky stone and I think I've realized that's not what I'm looking for; I do want something that sparkles, especially for the price he was asking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the big one I circled are dark inclusions but the contact point where skin touches the stone, hence they are most likely dark shadows. I don't think the sapphire has any visible black inclusions at all, based on the last picture with the neutral background.

_21748.jpg

_21749.jpg

_21750.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Right, that's what I thought about your first two pictures -- it was the contact point with his skin.

I didn't think there were any black inclusions, but my eye is still learning.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm...

I agree with TL's post but it's really personal preference.

It's always cool to see green sapphires because they generally don't do green too well. I like this one.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely inexperienced when it comes to colored stones, but I like this stone as well...
The mysterious green...
The soft silkiness...

S

SparkliesLuver

LoversKites: It totally is personal preference, I agree. I wasn't sure if it was my thing or not, but the more I really thought about it for this project (along with the price), I had to pass. I'm sure it'll find its home soon. :)

Acinom: I do love the green. That part I do know. And it is quite mysterious with the silk. That's a good description.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do like that color, it looks identical to green zircon. Maybe try one of those out before you invest in a large expensive sapphire. They're not as durable, but they can be a very pretty green.

S

SparkliesLuver

Good call. I can do some looking there.

I've realized I really want a blue/green tourmaline or some sort of teal sapphire/spinel for my next/current project. I just happened upon this sapphire and since I have a soft spot for them I couldn't resist giving it some thought.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a 2.4 carat green zircon. It is also slightly hazy, but at least its well cut (Portuguese style). It looks pretty identical to the sapphire in color.

tlgreenzircon.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

My engagement ring is round, so unfortunately I want to stay away from that shape when thinking about my new project. But I appreciate the post. I like the color but I wish it wasn't hazy; I think that would bother me in person. But, yes, it's definitely a much better cut!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409319439|3741329 said:
My engagement ring is round, so unfortunately I want to stay away from that shape when thinking about my new project. But I appreciate the post. I like the color but I wish it wasn't hazy; I think that would bother me in person. But, yes, it's definitely a much better cut!

You might be able to find a cleaner one. I admit that this is not my favorite stone, but it was very inexpensive, so I'm glad to have it as part of my collection. I have another more sparkly one, but it's more minty in color.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd be proud to have it in my collection as well, especially if it was inexpensive (as you said). :) Thank you for sharing!

I love looking, and since this project has no time frame I'm not in any rush. Although at some point I need to make up my mind. haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results