shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone spinel ring Mahenge/Violet

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center is four carats, and the pair are 1.1 carats each. Here is a sunlight and an incandescent photo to show the color change. My camera isn't that good with blue hues. It's in 18K yellow gold. The setting is very plain and only a vehicle to hold the stones. It's one of the few rings that I have that don't have diamonds.

TLthreestonespinel2incan.JPG

threestonespinel4.PNG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, had my Bob Kast rubellite (1.4 carats) set in a legacy LOGR I had an Afghan tourmaline in. I switched it out since I hated how the bezel was done on the Afghan. The jeweler made prongs and made it wearable again. Here it is with my other spinels, and this was taken in incandescent light. It's hard to get focus in incandescent lighting with my new camera. The new three stone ring is in the corner, but fuzzy. At least you can see the color well.

TLthreeringsrubelliteandspinels.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TL, gorgeous gorgeous!!! :sun: The colors are spectacular alone & together -- what a great combination! Love all 3 rings, but the new one is a total knockout, great style.

--- Laurie

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHOA :-o Thas a big ring! Beautiful colors though! I gotta ask...is it comfortable? I don't think I have enough finger real estate for something like that (I sure do have the stones for it though :bigsmile: )

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! What a wonderful combination of colors! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LLLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEE IT! :love:

I kind of prefer it without diamonds, I think it shows off beauty of the stones better.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful! The color combo is fab. I love how the oval looks with the pears.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh WOWOWOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a lovely lovely in-your-face Ring !!!!

Beautiful color combination and
I love your close-ups!
You are enjoying your new camera,
and I am plotting to get one since I am
seeing all your photos !!!!!! :sun:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words from everyone!!

Arcadian, about the comfort, I haven't worn it long enough to comment, but considering I wear up to six rings at a time, I don't pay attention to comfort that much. The shank is narrow and it's not a heavyweight in terms of the size of the stones. It's about 4.8 grams of 18K yellow gold, but it is wide.

I was originally planning to do a diamond halo in the middle (I know some of you are thinking, :rolleyes: "not again!!"), but it would have made the ring really super wide. I'm lucky I have big fat fingers in this case, because a person with tiny or smaller fingers would not be able to wear this ring without discomfort.

Here's a side view of the ring without the stones so you can see it's frame. It's a very simple setting, but it doesn't need a lot of embellishment because all you see are the stones.

TLthreering.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy cow Batman! That's the holy grail of finger real estate!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 at once?? :shock: Really? where you put them all?? See now I'm curious! :naughty: I can wear 2 (sometimes with a thumb ring) but more than that and Its not a good look on me.

I do like how well it turned out, and have to say I'm glad you resisted and didn't go with a center halo.

-A

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Wow TL! It turned out beautiful! The stones are gorgeous and it looks great on your finger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again to everyone for the kind words!

Arcadian, I don't wear my rings because I care how they look on me. I wear them so I have something to look at! :naughty: I just love colored gems so much, and for me they're a source of neverending entertainment and fascination. I love everything about them, the colors, their evolution, the science, etc. . .

BTW I went to the grocery store where they have nice lighting, and I took these shots.

My poor champagne pink diamond looks sickly next to the spinel ring. You can see some inclusions in the stone at the bottom right.

TLspinelincandescent3stone.PNG

TLthreestonespinelluster.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gotcha. There's a lady at the home goods I go to that wears 2-3 rings on every single finger. Then there's the wrists. She sure loves her jewelery!!

It would make me totally crazy the metal rubbing together and the sound ...yah I can't get with that....but you gotta do what makes you happy!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Packrat!

Arcadian,
I know this may look odd to some people, but I wear my middle finger ring higher than the surrounding rings (see photo above) so they don't rub. I'm pretty conscious about them rubbing together or the stones scratching each other. I wear very little makeup, just some lipstick, and my clothes are solid color (mostly black), so the rings are just my thing. I often scare people when I come out of corners. :errrr:

Call me weird. :wacko:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - The stones are fantastic. I am impressed by blue spinel to the extreme, to the tips of my toes. Especially the photo made at grocery store. The color is so rich and deep. Agree, this ring looks better without diamonds!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful stones and rings TL; I really like the color shift in the first shot. Very nice :love:

Great color combination also; they click rather nicely...

Most respectfully;

Dana

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1299434685|2866082 said:
TL - The stones are fantastic. I am impressed by blue spinel to the extreme, to the tips of my toes. Especially the photo made at grocery store. The color is so rich and deep. Agree, this ring looks better without diamonds!

Thanks Crasru. It was taken in a "Whole Foods" near the window and it was a combination of natural (diffused cloudy day) and artificial light. I forgot to mention that. It goes more of a true purple in pure artificial light. I've actually video taped some of my rings in there, and yes, I know, I look like I need to be checked into the nearest insane asylum doing that. "Who's the weirdo taking pictures of her hands at the Whole Foods?" :lol: :???: :shock:

Thanks Dana!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a departure from your normal rings but still different enough to not look ordinary; I think it’s great that you are open to unusual colour combinations. It’s a well done combo and takes the cake in terms of finger real estate. :tongue:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow TL. It's just SUBLIME!!! I adore all the gemstones and rings you post and this one is just perfect. Really great ring. Wear it in good health! I'd love to find a spinel that color, I just don't have enough time to browse at the moment =(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono!
Thanks Deia!

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
that colour combination is awesome :love:
well, the ring looks awesome! no diamonds needed :cheeky: what's the measurements for the 3 stones? is there a thread for that lovely violet spinel??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Diamondrnglover!

Zzz|1299562275|2867180 said:
that colour combination is awesome :love:
well, the ring looks awesome! no diamonds needed :cheeky: what's the measurements for the 3 stones? is there a thread for that lovely violet spinel??

Zzz, thanks!!

The middle spinel is 9x11mm and four carats. The outer two spinels are 1.1 carats and 9x5mm. Here is the orginal thread on the stone when I first got it. It has octahedral inclusions indicative of natural spinel and looks very very close to another one I own that is 2.8 carats.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-carat-portuguese-oval-violet-spinel.152354/

The photos in the above link were taken with my older, more challenged, camera.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed this thread until now. What a gorgeous spinel ring!!! Someday I hope to have a blue spinel as nice as your center stone.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Hey Yeah, I missed it too. I LOVE that blue. TL, I've been looking at cameras, do you mind sharing what camera you use?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, This thread is over a year old, but thanks for the kind words. The ring is really fun to wear, although some people might be aghast at the proportions (I have fat fingers so I don't mind). It's fun to see the mahenge stones fluor in the sun against the cool blue violet of the center stone.

JewelJunke,
Thanks!! The camera I use is a cheapo Nikon S6100. I think any Nikon S-series will do. I use the macro (double flower) mode to take the photos. I think Costco has the best deals on these cameras, so if you're near one, check them out.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL!! Do you remember where you got that blue violet? It is truly stunning.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweljunke|1340987514|3225962 said:
Thanks TL!! Do you remember where you got that blue violet? It is truly stunning.

Oilpearl if I remember correctly. They have a website as well as an ebay store, and they're reputable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results