shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone proportions?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I know this topic has been hashed and rehashed on Rocky Talk, but I need the special perspective of CSers.

I'm dreaming of a three stone ring with a sapphire center and side diamonds. Stone would be round. I'm not looking for the sapphire to be the "star" stone, other than having it in the center. This would not be for an e-ring, but more an occasional wear.

I've found possible stones. Side stones measure 5.0mm, and the sapphire is 6.0. I have a really big finger (size 9) so I'm wondering what the coverage might look like.

I also want a white setting (18k white or platinum) that has the stones set at pretty much the same height. Most 3 stone mounts have the sides significantly lower. I also like mounts with interesting baskets (w-prong, trellis, crown, u-prong) but without pave.

Anyone have anything they've seen that might show some of these characteristics? Similar size stones? Set even height? Mounting?

CSers always understand, and can think outside the box, and that's why you folks are my favs! (Okay, minor suck up)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut your paper shapes and tape them on your finger. :tongue:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1379521160|3522922 said:
Cut your paper shapes and tape them on your finger. :tongue:
This is the CS sophistication I was expecting?? :nono:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I cut and pasted, then measured the pics on my screen with the caliper, which yielded a 6mm center and 5mm sides. Is this any less goobie than taping to my finger? Or should I print this and then tape it to my finger? :twirl:

_10132.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look fabulous with my proportionate and highly sophisticated paper ring. :praise: The reason I like this method is that it doesn't matter what finger size you have.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wish I still had my template. I think I tossed it. I tried to print this, but it printed it full scale. Now my fingers are big, but not that big!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
In your printer settings, deselect "scale to fit page".

It depends on what look you want, there's not one perfect proportion. Smaller sides emphasize the center stone more, larger ones emphasize the stones as a group.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I want the group look

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the group look too.

If you can get that to print don't forget to post pictures so we can see it in all its sophisticated glory...real life perspective shots too. ;))

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Packy, would you mind sharing the stats and a pic of your three stone diamond ring? I think I'd really love that kind of setting for this, and I think it would give me great coverage. Kinda like a Wonderbra for gems!! 8-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha gem wonderbra!

yeah lemme call in supper quick, brb.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a fat finger, size 9 middle finger, and size 8 ring finger, and here's a three stone round ring with a sapphire center and chrysoberyl sides. The middle stone is around 8mm wide, and the sides are 6mm wide, just to give you an idea of the finger coverage. It takes up a good amount of space on my fat ring finger, so with smaller stones (imagine the sides the same as your middle stone), you should be okay.

file.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
quick pics of my ring. I'll run downstairs and get the mm's on them from the paperwork.

100_16.jpg

100_17.jpg

100_18.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
TL|1379544181|3523172 said:
I have a fat finger, size 9 middle finger, and size 8 ring finger, and here's a three stone round ring with a sapphire center and chrysoberyl sides. The middle stone is around 8mm wide, and the sides are 6mm wide, just to give you an idea of the finger coverage. It takes up a good amount of space on my fat ring finger, so with smaller stones (imagine the sides the same as your middle stone), you should be okay.

file.jpg
I've always loved that three stone! I've found it hard to coordinate colored stones in a ring, and that is the best one I've ever seen!! :love:

Thanks for the size comparison.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
FB'd you but I'll put the stats here too. Center is 5.46x 5.37 and the sides are 4.65x 4.52.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3 stone is 5 mm x 7 mm x 5 mm but all 3 are cushions worn on a size 4.5 finger. Is this something you'd like to see or will it be useless since the proportion, shape and finger size are all too different?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see it Chrono. The size comparisons are all helpful. Anything to see one of your beauties!!

Kaede

Rough_Rock
Fat fingers my hind foot. My ring finger on my non dominate hand is size 13. I wish I had skinny size 9 fingers.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
This thread might be helpful if you go with a different size sapphire. Size 7.5 finger with 5.5mm sides with 8mm, 9mm and 10mm center stones for comparison.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ps-voucher-worthy.185713/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ps-voucher-worthy.185713/[/URL]

Scroll down for pictures.

Also this is a stunning three stone I tried on this summer. The sides are one carat each but the proportions are similar to what you're considering. I dream of this ring (literally)!

_10153.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Rose. It does help.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice ring to dream of, Rose! And TL, I love your 3-stone so much I could eat it right up. Love it love it.

It's hard to find 3-stones with the center not raised up, as you mentioned at the beginning, Uppy. I searched around & couldn't find any, though I know they're out there. Don't have one myself, so I'm no use to you, but I do like your idea a lot.

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The yg three stone I had the avc's in before, the pronged one from Poppyseed, had them all the same height.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1379556794|3523311 said:
I'd love to see it Chrono. The size comparisons are all helpful. Anything to see one of your beauties!!

Ask and ye shall receive. The center looks to be slightly raised, not because it was done deliberately but because it is slightly deeper than the side spinels. Sorry for the very large pictures but I think it is more useful than a cropped picture to see the overall proportion on the hand as well.

hand_15.jpg

hand_sun.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, that's a beautiful ring. It looks like an antique because of the cuts and the color scheme.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1379682936|3524086 said:
Chrono, that's a beautiful ring. It looks like an antique because of the cuts and the color scheme.

Thanks. I was going for the antique look and looks like I managed to pull it off. So many people prefer the small + large + small 3 stone look and thus dislike this large + large + large effect.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1379682816|3524085 said:
Ask and ye shall receive.

Okay, would you, pretty please, give me that ring? :lol:

That kind of look is exactly the look I'm going for. Gorgeousness beyond gorgeous!! But that's how you roll!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1379686687|3524124 said:
pregcurious|1379682936|3524086 said:

Thanks. I was going for the antique look and looks like I managed to pull it off. So many people prefer the small + large + small 3 stone look and thus dislike this large + large + large effect.

I think all white and an emphasis on a large center stone is how most of modern statement pieces (like erings) are designed. Your ring looks Victorian to me, in the best way.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1379544181|3523172 said:

file.jpg

OMG every stinkin time I see your sapphire/chryso ring TL my heart beats faster. Easily one of my most favorite rings! :love: :love: :love: I never get tired of seeing this one.
<must push past the distraction> I too have been pondering Uppy's proportion question - great topic - thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results