shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh well done!! That way you can at least evaluate the cushion and oval and one of them may suddenly leap out of their box and grab you by the throat, who knows? :bigsmile: Though I'm inclined to agree about the possibility of grey in the cushion, let's reserve judgement until you are able to see see them in hand.

======
Eek! I just realised my link above for Gemart was wrong. My apologies - this is the link to his recut example page-
http://www.gemartservices.com/recutting.htm

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Starzin,
I love the cushion shape so I had to have a look and of course the oval, Ryan emailed back saying that if I bought for a recut than I am settling and he will keep looking?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome. I think you're doing the right thing in seeing both the oval and the cushion.

No - I don't think you are settling by recutting providing the price is right. Ryan can't seriously think either of those stones in the settings are well cut and show the stone. Remember in the world of coloured stones Colour is King, but you've got to be able to see it, so cut is definitely next and clarity is often times a trade off.

But the decision is yours.

I'll attach a pic of the most lauded blue sapphire to pass through PS in some years, it belongs to slksapphire but I haven't saved the setting - you can search for it. SS was lucky enough to have Richard Hughes find it for her.

slksapphire-5p4cts-12x8.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I have silksapphire's stone saved, so lovely.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I should probably add that slksapphire's stone was exactly that - a silky sapphire which is super saturated and thus glows rather than sparkles as we are used to seeing. This is not what Ryan has - not as they are currently anyway.

Ah, just saw that you have it saved. No problems.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Starzin,
Stones arrived I cannot see a difference in color, however both stones have eye visible inclusions. The cushion inclusion looks like a smudge and the oval inclusions are white like a cloud?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The oval

_22540.jpg

_22541.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The cushion

_22542.jpg

_22543.jpg

_22544.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the inclusions are eye visible and bother you, then I would return them.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono,
Yes, I emailed the vendor to get shipping instructions. Boo:(

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Fancygems|1411077321|3753361 said:
Hi Starzin,
Stones arrived I cannot see a difference in color, however both stones have eye visible inclusions. The cushion inclusion looks like a smudge and the oval inclusions are white like a cloud?
Did Roger say anything about visible inclusions? What a shame. It sounds as though you're disappointed and I can see why - both your time and his has just been wasted.

The colour on both is quite lovely, the oval looks silkier than Roger's picture would suggest but the cushion's middle appears dead in the photos you've posted. Is that how they appear to you?

ETA: Ah, I see they're going straight back.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest when I opened the little black box all I saw were the inclusions. In diamonds I am the same way and I am not seeing them masked by the color. Yes, they are going back just waiting to hear how Roger wants me to send them. Still, I had to post pics:)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I can just imagine how that must have felt, I'm so sorry :((

Thank you for posting the photos - it's so important to us because it helps us read the vendor glamour photos and as you can see they are quite different in this case. It's one reason I, and probably many others, don't recommend stones from Spectral - no prices and no indication of clarity/flaws.

Though we have the highest regard for Roger and his cutting talent, lack of that information means we can only recommend people get in touch personally to discuss the stone. Unfortunately if "you" fail to ask the question, the answer often goes unproferred in the hope that someone falls in love with it anyway and many do.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I did inquire about inclusions and looking back at previous emails "when viewed under magnification" was states but apparently not for this pair of eyes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No vendor is perfect but they all try their best. I'm sorry for your disappointment, which I would be too, if I can see the inclusions that easily. Clarity can be a bit personal too. Not all vendors share my definition of eye clean.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Then there was probably no alternative but for you to view them in hand, we shall call you "eagle eyes" from now on ;))

Just saw Chrono's comment and agree wholeheartedly. Our recommended vendors are not in any way intentionally deceptive (like some ebay sellers) and do try their best to meet expectations or set them more realistically if necessary.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Roger says that's the thing with unheated stones they don't have the advantage of the heat to melt the silk to make it more transparent. He was very nice to work with:)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Fancygems|1411093785|3753496 said:
Roger says that's the thing with unheated stones they don't have the advantage of the heat to melt the silk to make it more transparent. He was very nice to work with:)

Were the inclusions you saw in the stones unattractive blobs, or overall silk?

Out of curiosity, can you share with us the dimensions and price of the stones you returned? If you're not comfortable sharing, no biggie.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The cushion looked like surface scratches and a finger smudge print. The oval had a thin white wisp and white cloudy areas to my eye. Sorry for the lack of better wording. Cushion was 7mm oval 6.8x8.3 both $1275 per carat.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Fancygems|1411093785|3753496 said:
Yes of course (now it's been said) but it isn't something we can generally point out to people - at least I wouldn't feel comfortable or qualified to do so.

I have no doubt of it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Fancygems|1411098142|3753539 said:
The cushion looked like surface scratches and a finger smudge print. The oval had a thin white wisp and white cloudy areas to my eye. Sorry for the lack of better wording. Cushion was 7mm oval 6.8x8.3 both $1275 per carat.

It sounds like you've gotten a good exposure to different types of corundum inclusions :) That's an important step in learning about sapphires.

This link talks about fingerprint inclusions:
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-ch5.htm

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm I feel like I am seeing the seething through a couple of these options..first one extinction, dark areas? Second and third looks like shadowing?

_22726.jpg

_22728.jpg

_22725.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
More, I suspect window and last one not eye clean to my standards? Accurate observations?

_22729.jpg

_22730.jpg

_22731.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These last stones are so much better than the first ones you were contemplating. Amazing how much you've learned so quickly. I would suggest that all your observations may be spot on. Regarding the first stone though, the cushion where you see extinction, I might ask for more photos, as its hard to assess extinction from just one look. It also appears that the light source is coming in at an angle in the photo which would exacerbate extinction. That is, only if you like the color of the stone (its my favorite for shape, saturation and hue :)) )

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1411840714|3757844 said:
These last stones are so much better than the first ones you were contemplating. Amazing how much you've learned so quickly. I would suggest that all your observations may be spot on. Regarding the first stone though, the cushion where you see extinction, I might ask for more photos, as its hard to assess extinction from just one look. It also appears that the light source is coming in at an angle in the photo which would exacerbate extinction. That is, only if you like the color of the stone (its my favorite for shape, saturation and hue :)) )
Thank you Minous! Okay I will inquire further about the cushion only!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
"Seeing through the seething"? - not sure I understand.

I agree that the cushion is the pick of these and does not suggest extinction to me though as Minou says, it's almost impossible to tell from one photo.

The oval/s may have shadowing from head/camera or it may be half and half which will always be there - if in doubt, ask. Particularly about the oval by itself which is a lovely colour.

Can't really tell about the second cushion. Ask for a picture on hand since it's in a stone holder?

Last - give it a miss because it's too dark, not because of inclusions (which I suspect is lint or light reflection).

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1411874817|3758013 said:
"Seeing through the seething"? - not sure I understand.

I agree that the cushion is the pick of these and does not suggest extinction to me though as Minou says, it's almost impossible to tell from one photo.

The oval/s may have shadowing from head/camera or it may be half and half which will always be there - if in doubt, ask. Particularly about the oval by itself which is a lovely colour.

Can't really tell about the second cushion. Ask for a picture on hand since it's in a stone holder?

Last - give it a miss because it's too dark, not because of inclusions (which I suspect is lint or light reflection).
Oops! "I feel like I see the setting through the stone" as if there is a window and I am seeing through it to the setting it is sitting in. I assumed the shadowing was "half/half", but I will ask if it is camera obstruction. I will also inquire about the second cushion and ask for more photos :appl:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! Glad I asked, I would never have guessed that :lol:

Good to ask those questions rather than just assume.

So we're back on the hunt for you?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1411881201|3758046 said:
Whew! Glad I asked, I would never have guessed that :lol:

Good to ask those questions rather than just assume.

So we're back on the hunt for you?
LOL!! So sorry...I thought I would post more pics to find any contenders, but I will admit I almost gave up and went for an eternity band so let's see how these options work out. Thank you very much for being so responsive to my thread it's so very helpful!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh please don't settle for an eternity band - your gem IS out there and we can help you find it. Probably most of us held off suggesting stones because you seemed to have been doing a pretty good job of finding some yourself.

Let's see if we can help.

Did you take a look at this at Mastercut?. Might be a little above budget though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results