shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Spinel please...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I juse ordered this Spinel, I had a coupon so the price came out to about $500 ppc which I thought was a good price considering the color and overall cutting, shape etc..
However I am starting to get cold feet and I am contemplating canceling my order. I would like to hear some thoughts on the stone, good, bad, whatever. Thank you!

round-purple-spinel-g2k-92595889.jpg

http://www.africagems.com/round-purple-spinel-g2k-92595889.html

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the photo you posted but wonder if there are other photos of the gem? I really like the color.

Spinels usually have grey in them and I don't see any in this photo. They say that you can return gems so maybe check it out with your own eyes and have a trusted jeweler confirm that it's a Spinel.

Maybe another PSer that has bought from this vendor will share their experience. I am looking forward to hearing about what you think of the gem!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you or can you ask them for a back of hand pic to get a more accurate idea of colour?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts, for what they're worth -

It looks beautiful. *If* the photo is accurate, then I'd say it's a great or at least reasonable price.

I've seen/owned a nice amount of spinels in the lavender range. All of the Tunduru/Tanzanian/Sri Lankan spinels I've seen in this color range have a significant amount of gray in them. WAY more than anything I can see in your pic. I've never seen one from those areas that didn't have significant gray, although I'm not saying they're not out there. They're usually very affordable IMO; I've generally paid at the most $300 per carat for precision top cut gems in this material (that pricing is specifically in the 1-2 ct size range).

My lavender/purple/blue spinels that are Vietnamese and have little to no gray usually run more like $1000 or more per carat for the 1-2 ct range, if not higher.

Yours is interesting bc it seems to be priced in between those, and I didn't see the gem origin info listed. I'm assuming that they're pricing it to reflect the lack of gray, but it's probably not Vietnamese or they'd be charging a lot more.

I think it looks really nice, and I don't think you overpaid - again assuming that the photo is accurate. If it DOES show a lot of gray IRL, I would absolutely return it, bc you'd be able to do better for that price.

ETA - I have no idea how accurate their pics are, I've never purchased from this vendor.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I considered that stone! I think it looks quite promising, but echo katharath's thoughts. I've never bought from them, but did buy one stone from one of the vendors they use (that was listed on their site), and I'd say the photo was pretty accurate. I don't know what kind of lighting the photo was taken in, but that often makes a difference. If you're in the U.S. and returns are relatively easy, then I would recommend checking it out in person! And please post lots of pics. :naughty:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB - I'm glad I didn't see this gem first, bc then I'd have had to seriously consider it too, lol. And I just can't budget it in on top of my recent spending, but I definitely would have wanted to :)

(It's just funny how we all keep chasing this color - I love it too, I just can't stop! On the darker end of the spectrum, I just bought a Mozambique purple garnet too ;-). Had to jump on the bandwagon and see one in person).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg,
Go ahead with the order since you have a coupon for it. If it turns out looking different, just return it.

K,
I own a Tanzanian lavender spinel that doesn't have much gray. It goes from a lovely bluish to purplish colour, depending on the light source and acquired it for just around $100 plus. My Vietnamese spinels are around $400/ct and I acquired another lavender spinel (most likely of African origin) for $60.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I didn't mean to imply that spinels can't be had for cheaper than the prices I listed. These are just the (high end) prices that I've personally paid for this material, or have seen this material priced at, repeatedly, from PS approved vendors (Peter Torraca, Barry B, Yvonne Raley, Prima, Brad, and the cost of the one I just bought at the JCK show a couple of months ago). My point was that Greg's purchase seemed to be appropriately priced for a gem that one would expect to show very little gray; and that hopefully he could expect the photo to be accurate. Of course you are correct and pricing will vary. And I was also trying to say that it seemed entirely possible that Greg's gem was of Tanzanian origin and showing very little gray. I know that they're out there. I just haven't personally seen one (in front of me I mean, not pics online), and the overwhelming majority that I *have* seen tend to look a certain way.

I was merely offering an opinion based on the high end pricing I've experienced over the last 1-2 yrs, to give Greg an idea of how I thought the gem compared to others - in both pricing and quality. Since he mentioned what he paid, I thought he might like to know. Many people always seem so interested in gem pricing, but it seems to be the one thing that is least discussed here (and again this is just my opinion).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1439821500|3915553 said:
I was merely offering an opinion based on the high end pricing I've experienced over the last 1-2 yrs, to give Greg an idea of how I thought the gem compared to others - in both pricing and quality. Since he mentioned what he paid, I thought he might like to know. Many people always seem so interested in gem pricing, but it seems to be the one thing that is least discussed here (and again this is just my opinion).

Sorry if I came off sounding combative as it wasn't my intent. :knockout: Bad morning rush and typed in a very abrasive tone. Urgh! I was also just sharing my opinion and experience, which of course, will vary. It would be great to discuss current pricing a bit more but it is understandably difficult due to the many variables involved and even I feel uncomfortable divulging exactly how much I paid for certain items in spite of the anonymity.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lol, that's ok, sorry if I came off badly (defensive?) myself. Thanks for clarifying though :)

I agree with you, pricing can be difficult to discuss. You're absolutely right that it can be a complex topic, and I understand the hesitancy too. Still, I wish it were somewhat easier to discuss, particularly with CS - what a wealth of info is out there! Sometimes I really wish for the transparency of diamond pricing. Of course we will never have that in CS, but it sure would make life easier as a buyer, lol.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Greg, the stone looks to be a beautiful color. Take a look-see in person, or ask to see more pictures on the hand. Pricing is all over the place. i spent the weekend going thru many of the listed vendors to check prices. Its difficult to get my head around how high prices are.
But, I came to a conclusion, and that is that PS CS users are a target for too many vendors that actually exploit the readiness of too many of you to pay whatever the asking price is.

I paid $38.00 for a 1.82ctw purple spinel directly from Vietnam, Its a little dark , but maybe Jerry Newman can lighten it up.

I paid 35.00 for an orange brown spinel of 2.90 directly from Hong kong. The cut was off and Jerry did the help the stone, which ended up 2.38ctw. This same color is going for thousands on AJS. That site is over-priced and the photos look touched to me.

The reason I took the time to do this is because i had JTV on Fri nite. They showed mint garnet cabachons, that had black inclusions, looked cracked and really, really awful. They were selling for 800 -900 and were snapped up as if they were the most valuable thing ever.
This reminded me of 10 yrs ago when spess was supposedly 1800 per carat, tanzanite 2,000 per carat and the hype was creating super inflated pricing, until the market sort of calapsed.

Kath-- I have brought up pricing before. No-one responds. I have my collection and only buy if the price is right and its something I would be happy to own. But I do think we have many on here who just want to buy, buy , buy. Honestly, TL and Chrono shop well. No way would they pay these prices for some of these stones. Now, if its a sapphire, no matter the color its thousands.
Kath-- I love your new ring.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1439819283|3915538 said:
Greg,
Go ahead with the order since you have a coupon for it. If it turns out looking different, just return it.

K,
I own a Tanzanian lavender spinel that doesn't have much gray. It goes from a lovely bluish to purplish colour, depending on the light source and acquired it for just around $100 plus. My Vietnamese spinels are around $400/ct and I acquired another lavender spinel (most likely of African origin) for $60.

Chrono: I think you really need to be careful when sharing numbers like this unless you bought the stones within the last year, maybe two. I believe that the majority of your stones in this color category were bought and set years ago and therefore the comparisons are a bit unrealistic. If this is the case, I would add some disclaimer; otherwise it might have the unintended consequence of scaring a buyer away from a stone due to the misconception that its overpriced.

Many of us have bought stones some time ago. I have learned that sharing prices of stones purchased multiple years in the past - unless the question asked pertains to the pricing of ____ stone in past time periods - does little but deflate buyers and make it appear as if the one sharing their "scores" is boasting in a way. I am not saying you are doing that here, but I am saying be careful because one runs that risk, unless the direct question is asked.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I purchased the $60 spinel this year, the $100 spinel about 2 years ago and the $400/ct Vietnamese spinel about 5 years ago. Hope that helps.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg: sorry, I forgot to give you my two cents! Katharath said it all really well. I, too, think that color is amazing - if it really is that color. The first thing I did was to go scout around their site looking for the video or at the least, more photos. Kinda surprising that that is the only one they offer. Anyway, the only way you'll know is to have it in hand. I hope you do bite the bullet, as I am really curious to see what its like in hand. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1439833674|3915663 said:
Minou,
I purchased the $60 spinel this year, the $100 spinel about 2 years ago and the $400/ct Vietnamese spinel about 5 years ago. Hope that helps.

Right - I remember you picking up the $60 spinel secondhand on LT. Its the 5 year old one that I think would help to have a timeframe associated with it - just as you have now done! :)) As to timeframes, I don't know if you suffer from my time warp syndrome, but half the time I think something occurred a short time ago, say two years, turns out to be much farther back then I think. Time flies and all that... :wink2:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty color in the photo, I am sure we are all interested in seeing how your pics will compare!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1439834436|3915671 said:
Right - I remember you picking up the $60 spinel secondhand on LT. Its the 5 year old one that I think would help to have a timeframe associated with it - just as you have now done! :)) As to timeframes, I don't know if you suffer from my time warp syndrome, but half the time I think something occurred a short time ago, say two years, turns out to be much farther back then I think. Time flies and all that... :wink2:

Yup, the $60 spinel was from LT. I double checked the receipt on the other spinel and found it dated May 2010, so 5 years is pretty accurate.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

MB, when I first came to this site, just at that height of hyper pricing, the first thing I learned was about top color. I had some disappointments because TL would take me down for too much brown, too much grey. However, I learned. And I learned that top pricing went only with top color. When you begin to see that this is not corresponding to the current pricing, you have to stop and think. Do you really need to try to make people happy even if they have over paid. This is what TL used to be , and i'm sure still is, proud that she saved people like me money.

Now, take a prime example of this--aquamarine. Do you even see top color--Santa Maria? No, but the lightest material is now hundreds and thousands, depending on the carat weight. I have a 7-8 cwt ring that I placed in my safe deposit box because I saw how much dealers were asking and people on PS were paying. Sorry, but I believe that it is part of what i call hyper inflation.

Here is my disclaimer- Some of you have gathered gorgeous collections with fine gems. What you pay is up to you for them. I'm probably not talking to you. But others ought to be careful that once a stone is mentioned on here the stampede to loupe troup by vendors begins. Roger Dery has some reasonable priced gems, but others are questionable. Aquamarines of light color are over priced--no scarcity of them.

The orangy spinel I Purchased 3 yrs ago, but the color cannot be that desirable for the price to zoom into thousands.

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit to the following threadjack. As an example, the asscher cut craze by PSers several years ago put $$$ signs into the eyes of many favourite PS lapidaries and I saw unreasonably high prices for commonplace colouration and commonplace gem variety. Many happily purchased them at the high prices but since they were happy, I saw no reason to mention pricing. We, here on PS, sometimes are our own downfall.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1439829605|3915620 said:
Hi All,

Greg, the stone looks to be a beautiful color. Take a look-see in person, or ask to see more pictures on the hand. Pricing is all over the place. i spent the weekend going thru many of the listed vendors to check prices. Its difficult to get my head around how high prices are.
But, I came to a conclusion, and that is that PS CS users are a target for too many vendors that actually exploit the readiness of too many of you to pay whatever the asking price is.

I paid $38.00 for a 1.82ctw purple spinel directly from Vietnam, Its a little dark , but maybe Jerry Newman can lighten it up.

I paid 35.00 for an orange brown spinel of 2.90 directly from Hong kong. The cut was off and Jerry did the help the stone, which ended up 2.38ctw. This same color is going for thousands on AJS. That site is over-priced and the photos look touched to me.

The reason I took the time to do this is because i had JTV on Fri nite. They showed mint garnet cabachons, that had black inclusions, looked cracked and really, really awful. They were selling for 800 -900 and were snapped up as if they were the most valuable thing ever.
This reminded me of 10 yrs ago when spess was supposedly 1800 per carat, tanzanite 2,000 per carat and the hype was creating super inflated pricing, until the market sort of calapsed.

Kath-- I have brought up pricing before. No-one responds. I have my collection and only buy if the price is right and its something I would be happy to own. But I do think we have many on here who just want to buy, buy , buy. Honestly, TL and Chrono shop well. No way would they pay these prices for some of these stones. Now, if its a sapphire, no matter the color its thousands.
Kath-- I love your new ring.

Annette

Annette,

EXCELLENT POST!!! :appl: BRAVO!!!

I agree with your conclusion!!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I would've asked for a hand shot or a video but I just had them do a hand shot and a video last week of a stone that I opted out of buying. I am going to wait and see how the stone looks in hand. I like how the stone shows a lot of blue. Whether or not it's worth what I paid is subjective. Although, overall I feel $400 ppc for this Spinel with this color is reasonable.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Greg, so glad you're going to see it in person. I think it looks very promising.

I do apologize because my post seemed to directly lead to a lot of off topic discussion in your thread. That was not at all my intention, I was just trying to share info that I thought you might find helpful. The only reason I brought it up was that you had mentioned what you paid with the discount; I guess I took that as an invitation to discuss pricing, and to mean that you might be interested in comparisons. I am sorry if I overstepped.

To clarify, I look at and fairly frequently buy spinels, so I'm generally well versed in what current pricing is. I was specifically referring to current or recent price ranges from PS approved trade vendors; not preloved or secondhand sales, overseas (to my mind unverified) eBay sellers, or older priced material (really anything purchased two years ago or previous to that would be older priced material to my mind. We all know that many gems have seen significant price hikes in the last two years).

Whether or not these price hikes are justified is beyond me to determine - all I can do is decide if I'm personally willing to pay the prices. Also I would add that when I buy gems, I prefer to buy from a trusted vendor, and I'm willing to pay extra for precision cutting and for the peace of mind that comes with buying from a vendor that I completely trust. That said, yes there are absolutely vendors out there whom I feel are so over priced I would never buy from them!

Last thing to Annette - thank you for the compliment on my ring!!

I would suggest that if anyone wants to discuss pricing further, we should start a new thread :)

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1439845879|3915740 said:
Greg, so glad you're going to see it in person. I think it looks very promising.

I do apologize because my post seemed to directly lead to a lot of off topic discussion in your thread. That was not at all my intention, I was just trying to share info that I thought you might find helpful. The only reason I brought it up was that you had mentioned what you paid with the discount; I guess I took that as an invitation to discuss pricing, and to mean that you might be interested in comparisons. I am sorry if I overstepped.

To clarify, I look at and fairly frequently buy spinels, so I'm generally well versed in what current pricing is. I was specifically referring to current or recent price ranges from PS approved trade vendors; not preloved or secondhand sales, overseas (to my mind unverified) eBay sellers, or older priced material (really anything purchased two years ago or previous to that would be older priced material to my mind. We all know that many gems have seen significant price hikes in the last two years).

Whether or not these price hikes are justified is beyond me to determine - all I can do is decide if I'm personally willing to pay the prices. Also I would add that when I buy gems, I prefer to buy from a trusted vendor, and I'm willing to pay extra for precision cutting and for the peace of mind that comes with buying from a vendor that I completely trust. That said, yes there are absolutely vendors out there whom I feel are so over priced I would never buy from them!

Last thing to Annette - thank you for the compliment on my ring!!

I would suggest that if anyone wants to discuss pricing further, we should start a new thread :)
I found your initial post to be very informative and I appreciated your input.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photo I love the color. I am glad you will look at the stone with your own eyes. Hope you love it when you see it :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results