carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Sapphire -& other questions from a beginner

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been browsing posts and admiring all of the beautiful blue sapphires I have seen.
I am interested in purchasing a nice quality, smallish, entry level stone to have placed in a vintage looking setting that I found that I like, and will wear it as a right hand ring.

I like the size, shape and color of this sapphire, but I am not sure if it is a great stone or a good value and would appreciate any opinions.
Here's the link to the sapphire I am interested in:
http://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire/1.10-carat-Cushion-sku-10817
I have placed it on hold, so the price is not showing, but it is $710.00.

For reference, this is the setting I am interested in placing it in:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-vintage-fluted-pear-engagement-ring-item-9216

I have no idea what to look for in a quality blue sapphire and would appreciate any general tips that could be offered.
Is there a certain cut or color I should look for, or avoid?
What is a "window"?
How do you know for sure that you are not purchasing a synthetic sapphire?

Thanks in advance!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Thoughts on this Sapphire -& other questions from a begi

Welcome to PS 2Neezers :))

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read the 'sticky' at the top of the Coloured Stones forum titled New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first written by one of our most experienced members.

It will help with most of your questions. There is another thread with several people's journey to find 'their' stone and recommended for the comments on various sapphires which can help you to begin judging photos online.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-blue-sapphire-start-here.185711/

There is a great deal of assistance available here to help you find the ring of your dreams or to guide you through the process of buying a stone and mounting separately - which is the way you seem to be heading.

I couldn't get the video of the James Allen sapphire to load unfortunately so I can't tell what's going on in the middle of the stone but the colour is grey without the 'pop' of blue most people would look for in a sapphire. The setting with the pear sides is lovely and would easily take whatever shape gem you eventually choose.

So to help us help you...
- what is your budget for the stone given that the setting you like is about $1,000

- what shape sapphire do you prefer - round as in the setting?

- what colour blue?
I often refer people to Gemfix because they usually have a good range of colour and shape and decent photography to represent the stone though several buyers have stated that the gems are darker once they get them. Ignore the price and size for the moment - pick a colour and tell us the stock number.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-blue-sapphire-start-here.185711/

- a 1ct round is usually about 5-6mm across however sapphires are heavier than some other gems and may 'face up' smaller than that depending on the cut - that's why the budget, shape and colour are a delicate mix.

Above all enjoy the journey of putting together your special ring.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Starzin|1389853637|3593883 said:
Welcome to PS 2Neezers :))

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read the 'sticky' at the top of the Coloured Stones forum titled New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first written by one of our most experienced members.

It will help with most of your questions. There is another thread with several people's journey to find 'their' stone and recommended for the comments on various sapphires which can help you to begin judging photos online.

There is a great deal of assistance available here to help you find the ring of your dreams or to guide you through the process of buying a stone and mounting separately - which is the way you seem to be heading.

I couldn't get the video of the James Allen sapphire to load unfortunately so I can't tell what's going on in the middle of the stone but the colour is grey without the 'pop' of blue most people would look for in a sapphire. The setting with the pear sides is lovely and would easily take whatever shape gem you eventually choose.

So to help us help you...
- what is your budget for the stone given that the setting you like is about $1,000

- what shape sapphire do you prefer - round as in the setting?

- what colour blue?
I often refer people to Gemfix because they usually have a good range of colour and shape and decent photography to represent the stone though several buyers have stated that the gems are darker once they get them. Ignore the price and size for the moment - pick a colour and tell us the stock number.

- a 1ct round is usually about 5-6mm across however sapphires are heavier than some other gems and may 'face up' smaller than that depending on the cut - that's why the budget, shape and colour are a delicate mix.

Above all enjoy the journey of putting together your special ring.

Hi Starzin,

Thanks so much for all of the educational links and advice!

I went to the Gemfix site and really love so many of the Sapphires they have to offer. So pretty!

I am going to think about what I really want for a little while and will most likely increase my original budget, which was going to be about $800 for the Sapphire, and $1,000 for the setting.

If I am going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time and get a real beauty of a Sapphire!

I will be back for advice soon.

Thanks again!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

You're entirely welcome :))

It's wise to take time to gain clarity on what you really want your ring to look like and in the meantime you can gain a lot of information on how others go about it here on PS while taking your time finding the colour and shape that speaks to you.
If I am going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time and get a real beauty of a Sapphire!

I will be back for advice soon.
PSers have proved time and again they can find gems and settings to fit any budget.
Enjoy the journey and we look forward to helping you achieve the ring you desire when you're ready. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results