shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ring and this etsy seller?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. It is pretty but I think the sapphire has a window. I don't have any experience with the seller, unfortunately.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience with the vendor and so will comment only on the product. The setting looks well made. The stone, on the other hand, has issues. The sweet colour is concentrated only around the edges of the stone. There's "stuff" going on smack dab in the centre of the stone, which I think detracts from the beauty of the ring.

il_570xn_499842892_s9qf.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not on that ring; that's just the cut contrast. Because the stone is light toned, it shows up more strongly. There isn't a straight on picture to confirm this though.

Looking at the rest of the stones on her website, you are correct that most of them have major cut issues. The centers have huge windows where light leaks through (will look dead and dull, and you can see the setting through it) with life and colour only on the edges of the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say that that particular sapphire has cut issues, as most of the stones on that website as well. Have you checked out the vetted vendor's list? In general, most stones are of good to great cut.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I kind of doubt that you would be able to find a similar, pre-made ring of higher quality for less than the cost of the first ring ($1367). It would also be difficult to source a sapphire and custom design a halo for less than $1367. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Many people here are able to find nicer stones, but usually for significantly higher prices. Sometimes, people wait for years looking for their perfect gem at a reasonable price. I think it is a pretty ring, and that 99.9% of people would not see any issues with it, including OP. If OP is limited in her time or budget, I think the ring is a great choice.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
If you'd like a ready-made ring you might want to check out Rare Earth on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/RareEarth

That's where I bought my wedding set from. The customer service is great, the prices are fair, and the styles are similar to the ring you posted. I'm happy with my stone. I believe that many of the settings are from Stuller. I'm not sure if she has any peachy sapphire listed, but it's worth asking her directly. She can customize your order and has many other stones available - she also offered to send me the stone to preview before it was set, so you might ask her if she'd be willing to do the same with a stone of your choice. I also upgraded the diamonds on the halo/shank and band to VS.

pecanpie

Rough_Rock
Thanks pokerface (great avatar by the way)!

I liked this and think it may be nice in a rose gold halo setting:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1906682738

We are willing to spend up to 3500 on a sapphire ring like this, so I can certainly go up in stone quality. It's just so difficult to find a nice peach or not super bright pink cushion cut sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pecanpie|1383758039|3551656 said:

We are willing to spend up to 3500 on a sapphire ring like this, so I can certainly go up in stone quality. It's just so difficult to find a nice peach or not super bright pink cushion cut sapphire.

That's pretty. David (the owner of MC.com) may do a video of that stone if you ask. Does it color shift?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pecanpie|1383758039|3551656 said:

I agree that this is a pretty stone and this is a reputable vendor.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I caution the OP (and others who might be in a similar situation) to slow down and evaluate what they want out of a ring. OP could easily spend twice the cost of the original ring she liked and end up with a product that she only likes slightly better, if at all. To some people, it may be worth it, but to most people, I imagine it is not. I've seen on PS too many times where a person is dissuaded from buying a reasonably priced gem that they would have been perfectly happy with. There's something sad about falling out of love with something you once found beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pokerface|1383766005|3551725 said:
OP could easily spend twice the cost of the original ring she liked and end up with a product that she only likes slightly better, if at all.

LOL, we can always find a ring/stone that's lower priced, but many people don't want to wait or look around enough. Gem prices are extremely variable. Metal/Diamonds not so much, unless there's a lot of custom work involved, and/or it's a designer, and/or high overhead.

I think everyone could use more patience when searching out a gem, but unfortunately, some do have time constraints, or want it yesterday.

In any case, the MC.com stone appears to be an unheated pale padparadcha to me, and AGL might grade it as so, and the fact that it comes from Sri Lanka is important too. I think for the stone, it's a decent price, especially because its unheated. I didn't want to say that at first, but I just wanted to point out why I thought she should investigate it sooner and ask questions about it.

MC.com is a reputable vendor that stands behind their merchandise, but we know nothing of the etsy vendor (do we???), and the stone's treatment status, which would cause it to be far less expensive. I would want to take a further look at the MC.com stone via video and more photos if possible before making a further decision, so in that light, I think patience is a virtue. It might be much nicer than the etsy seller's, or it might not be. ???

pecanpie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! I'm keeping an open mind. I emailed MC and asked if I could get a video of the gem, so I'm hoping I hear soon from them. It's a big, important purchase, so I don't want to rush it. But I also don't want to miss out on a beautiful sapphire. :bigsmile:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I love the Multicolour stone! That's just beautiful!

The first vendor's work looks pretty, but yeah, that window isn't so great....

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
When you click on the Multicolour description of the gem's color, it tells you the gem's saturation level. As far as I have seen, MC has three possible levels of saturation: very slightly grayish, slightly grayish and grayish. I purchased a blue zircon from MC which was listed as very slightly grayish. The zircon, to me, looked very gray. The sapphire you have mentioned is listed as grayish. I venture a guess that it will be extremely gray, and I would bet about a million dollars a grayish stone would not be graded a padparadscha.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, I've seen very grayish or brownish orange pink sapphires labeled and defined as padparadscha by the labs. There has been many discussions about this on PS where quite a few of us on PS did not understand why that is so.

http://www.lmhc-gemology.org/pdfs/IS4_18012010.pdf

Quotation from LMHC:
Padparadscha is a variety of corundum from any geographical origin whose colour is a subtle mixture of pinkish orange to orangey pink of pastel tones and low to medium saturations.

pecanpie

Rough_Rock
I noticed that description as well and was going to ask about it here. I definitely don't want a gray stone; I wonder if I should keep looking. I emailed yesterday asking for a video so we will see what I hear back from MC.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pokerface|1383818530|3552095 said:
When you click on the Multicolour description of the gem's color, it tells you the gem's saturation level. As far as I have seen, MC has three possible levels of saturation: very slightly grayish, slightly grayish and grayish. I purchased a blue zircon from MC which was listed as very slightly grayish. The zircon, to me, looked very gray. The sapphire you have mentioned is listed as grayish. I venture a guess that it will be extremely gray, and I would bet about a million dollars a grayish stone would not be graded a padparadscha.

Thanks for sharing your experience with MC.com at least. It looks nice in the photo. Waiting for the video though. Others have had good experience with MC.com. I heard it's one of those places where you get what you pay for. I returned some stones to them too, but I have had friends on this site with very favorable experiences.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383820228|3552099 said:
Sadly, I've seen very grayish or brownish orange pink sapphires labeled and defined as padparadscha by the labs. There has been many discussions about this on PS where quite a few of us on PS did not understand why that is so.

http://www.lmhc-gemology.org/pdfs/IS4_18012010.pdf

Quotation from LMHC:
Padparadscha is a variety of corundum from any geographical origin whose colour is a subtle mixture of pinkish orange to orangey pink of pastel tones and low to medium saturations.

yup

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the op, it seems you like the look of padparadcha sapphires, so you might want to extend you search for that word (padparadcha). You just have to be careful and buy from reputable dealers because that's a stone that is often enhanced a great deal via diffusion. It can be heated without being diffused, or just heated, and/or clarity enhanced, so be careful. Also, you shouldn't pay a premium for the name "padparadcha" without a reputable lab report indicating it is a padparadcha, as they can often be very expensive.

The LMHC guidelines that Chrono posted above give the respective qualifications for a stone to be labeled "padapadscha."

pecanpie

Rough_Rock
Niel, I think that it's a color that would be pretty in a rose gold halo, but I wonder whether it'd be a big pain to have it cut into a cushion shape?

Does anyone have any experience with this seller or thought on pink sapphire stones here? http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

I'm starting to get a little discouraged. It's so much work to find the right gem. Still haven't heard at all from MC after emailing yesterday.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
pecanpie|1383876951|3552505 said:
Niel, I think that it's a color that would be pretty in a rose gold halo, but I wonder whether it'd be a big pain to have it cut into a cushion shape?

Does anyone have any experience with this seller or thought on pink sapphire stones here? http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

I'm starting to get a little discouraged. It's so much work to find the right gem. Still haven't heard at all from MC after emailing yesterday.
I'd strongly advise that you don't buy a stone only to have it re-cut to your preferred shape. Especially one that is well cut like the flawlessfacets stone.

I wouldn't get discouraged, it takes time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Email MC.com again. For some reason, emails aren't getting through to him. It's happened to someone else on here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How long have you been looking? Sometimes it can take weeks. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as diamond shopping.

pecanpie

Rough_Rock
TL|1383882725|3552574 said:

How long have you been looking? Sometimes it can take weeks. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as diamond shopping.

I haven't been looking that long, but have been doing a lot of looking!

Does anyone have a direct email address to MC? I tried emailing through their website form, so maybe that's the problem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pecanpie|1383918954|3552694 said:
TL|1383882725|3552574 said:

I haven't been looking that long, but have been doing a lot of looking!

Does anyone have a direct email address to MC? I tried emailing through their website form, so maybe that's the problem.

He has a facebook page, last updated on November 6. Search it under "Multicolour.com" - perhaps you can email him there.

I found this email address too on his fb page.

[email protected]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results