shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this emerald ring?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought this ring on ebay and then realized that I really shouldn't have. I got it today and I have to say - I'm having a hard time bringing myself to send it back. I know that I should be an adult and send it back, but I like it. It's not amazing (I love the color but it's windowed) but I also didn't spend an amazing amount of money on it. Sh*t, the setting alone should cost more than I paid for the whole thing. It's an untreated emerald. The item description said it was a 6mm, but I put it up next to my other 6mm and I'd say it's more of a 7mm.

408919_10150512191448165_615598164_8970670_871184543_n.jpg

IMG_0620.JPG

405412_10150512455803165_615598164_8971543_1148844416_n.jpg

403958_10150512193643165_615598164_8970678_22705757_n.jpg

Hi - Well, I think you answered your own question! You got a good price and you like it so much you don't want to send it back, even though it has its faults. It's doing it for you, and that's what counts. So I say keep it. :wink2:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
what lab is the report from that you know its untreated? Looks wonky to me, like it was popped into a setting for a round stone. I would have no problem sending it back. If you take the money saved from not buying 3 mediocre pieces you can get one really good piece.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's made very well, even though the pictures don't show it, but you're right VL, it is mediocre.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont know that its mediocre, I havent seen it nor know anything but these few photos. But if you have to be talked into keeping it then you shouldnt. Im not trying to take the wind out of you sales. You can do better.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is very pretty but I hear your hesitation. Every ring I have "kinda" loved I have sold or sits in my jewelry box waiting to be sold. Better to send it back and keep the money to spend on a ring that blows you away IMHO.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like that. It was just the perfect word that rang the imaginary bell in my head.

kt

Shiny_Rock
I gotta say, compared to your other 3 rings that you just posted (your amazing Mahenge, Tsav and spess), this one is definitely just "meh." Even if it wasn't expensive, you can put the $$ towards something that blows your socks off. Sorry, your other rings are SO much prettier than this one, I'd be wearing any one of those over this one!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you know you aren't going to wear it often, there's just no point keeping it, only to resell it later. There's the hassle of photography, time taken to put up the sale posting, packing and shipping, etc. even if you think you'll be able to sell it for the same price as you bought it.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having a hard time bringing myself to send it back. I know that I should be an adult and send it back, but I like it. It's not amazing (I love the color but it's windowed) but I also didn't spend an amazing amount of money on it. Sh*t, the setting alone should cost more than I paid for the whole thing. It's an untreated emerald.

Then perhaps there's another way to look at it since it looks to be a good size for your hand (can't tell much about the quality of the emerald or diamonds from the pics).

Is the ring itself well made, the diamonds sparkly and do you like the setting? If so keep it and wear it a while to see if you are happy with it as is. If not take the emerald out and put something else in the setting and regard it as a semi-mount purchase.

Then you can decide IF you want to send the emerald off for a lab report and decide what to do about the emerald based on the results.

If, on the other hand, you feel doubtful, guilty or uneasy in anyway (for whatever reason) when you contemplate keeping it - send it back. It needs to be loved as much as your other beauties, if not by you then by someone else.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I can be the voice of dissension, but I think the emerald is very appealing in these pictures. I don't mind some inclusions as long as the color is "glowy" which is seems to be (but emeralds are notoriously hard to judge from photos).
From the pictures it does look like there is some facet wear. I don't know, but if you like the stone you should get her polished which would help quite a bit.

But it doesn't matter what I think; it should ring your bells.
good luck with your decision.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Athenaworth :wavey:

I think in the first photo it looks rather nice; and I am sure you all know that good emeralds that have only oil are not cheap; so not knowing what you paid, the color/size /and clarity of the diamonds; it is hard to say what kind of a deal you got. It does look like a properly shaped mount as if it had been a round stone in there the reveal would have been more than noticeable :shock:

But only you can decide as you are the one that sees it in real life and as already been said; emeralds are hard to photograph; but if it looks like the one in the first photo it is no dud...

Just my personal opinion though and that and a dollar will buy you a cheap cup of coffee :)

Most respectfully;

Dana

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diamonds are .48ctw F/VS1, the stone is supposed to be 1.5, but it appears bigger. And I spent less than $600 on it. The setting is a big wonky because the shape of the stone isn't a perfect square. I imagine the settng was made for the stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget the Emerald for a minute.

For $600 would you be able to replicate that setting? Unlikely if the diamonds are good ones. Soooooo, if you love the setting, keep it for that. The Emerald is a bonus even if it's a synthetic or a composite!!!!!!!!!

If you want to do something to make the Emerald look more appealing you could set it in a closed basket to close up the window and reflect back some of the colour. Unfortunately emerald cuts in Emeralds (if that makes sense) often have windows. Your stone doesn't have zoning as you may find in a sapphire but it does have jardin that is making it appear frosty/cloudy which is a different feature altogether but it does affect performance.

So the decision is (a) do you love the setting (b) will you wear it with/without the Emerald!

IF you were buying it for the Emerald and don't like the setting then it should go back as that's a whole different ball game!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Okay lets do a little math...

Basics and all at wholesale..

The diamonds .48 tcw per size, color, clarity, 350 a carat @ .48 equals 168.00

emerald say it has oil and no die, looks Colombian and 1.5 carats at 250 a carat that is 375.00

The ring saying it is 14k yellow gold will be another 200 dollars wholesale and that is not counting sizing, setting, etc.

So you are looking to build that ring at minimum 743.00

So if the emerald looks good to you and you take it to be evaluated and it has normal treatment like oil only; I would say it is a good deal...

Also you are right; most of the older stones are cut in Brazil or Colombia and many are not truly square so it wants to go askew in the mount; any jeweler that has set a lot of emeralds , emerald cuts, and cut corner squares knows it can be a nightmare shifting the gem back and forth to get it to look square in the setting..

I do not know who you got if from and it is no business of mine; I was just commenting on the emerald and the basic nuts and bolts of the mount, cost, etc...

Just my somewhat humble opinion LOL

Dana

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Given Dana's math, you appear to have a very pretty ring at a very good price. Economics aside, just sit quietly with it and 'talk' to it for a little. You'll know whether it should stay.

I made my first post very late last night and in the cold light of morning I can say that I think it's lovely. Emeralds don't sparkle the way your other gemstones will but have an allure of their own. If you put it with your other rings, it should hold it's own yet in a completely different way.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately I only had a 3 day return window, so it's going back. :-/ I need the $$ more than I need something that I got a good deal on. I have to grow up a little (well, and pay for my aqua setting - heehee)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1327449543|3110873 said:
Unfortunately I only had a 3 day return window, so it's going back. :-/ I need the $$ more than I need something that I got a good deal on. I have to grow up a little (well, and pay for my aqua setting - heehee)

No you don't! It's more fun being reckless! :bigsmile:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hells yes it is! But it's not so fun when it comes to fess up time to DH. Oy.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hells yes it is! But it's not so fun when it comes to fess up time to DH. Oy.

:lol:
Be happy with your decision Athenaworth - at least you got to see it in hand and can cease to wonder about it :))

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I joined in late on this one. I'm glad you sent it back. Even better that you got to play nice with it for 3 days before it was returned!

I think you definitely made the right choice. You only shouldn't send it back, when you absolutely cant (this is the point where you stop thinking for a bit each time you see it. And the first thoughts that intrude on your brain are along the lines of "Now how am I going to tell DH that I bought another gem...") :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results