shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this blue Afghan tourmaline,please

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I just purchased this lovely slightly greenish blue tourmaline from Brad. It is a 1.24ct untreated tourmaline from Afghanistan measuring 7.6 x 6mm and Brad said one of his best cutters cut it. It is completely eye clean and the little fuzzies in one of the pictures is just a little cotton stuck to it-lol. The color reminds me of the sea- not the intense turquoise, but when the sea is calm on a slightly cloudy day. The color is somewhat hard to capture, but Brad's photo (the one in the tweezers) is spot on. The dark reflections in my photos are my camera and I couldn't seem to find an angle to get rid of them. I put a rose gold chain around it as I think I see it in rose gold with maybe the little pink diamond accents. Seems to enhance the blue. I tried to find similar colored tourmalines to compare- but just couldn't find any that were quite this shade-except for Brad's other one in his last drop. So what do you all think?

afghanbt1.gif

blue_green_tourmaline1.jpg

blue_green_tourmaline_2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice. I love it with the rose gold, really brings it out. Not so sure about the diamonds -- I don't see much synergy there, but it could be my monitor & what I like isn't important anyhow -- it's what turns you on. Pretty tourm, like shallows in the sea.

--- Laurie

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
+1. Love the blue green and touch of yellow. You must have been fast on the draw for tgt :<)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1374269035|3486426 said:
Nice. I love it with the rose gold, really brings it out. Not so sure about the diamonds -- I don't see much synergy there, but it could be my monitor & what I like isn't important anyhow -- it's what turns you on. Pretty tourm, like shallows in the sea.

--- Laurie

thanks, Laurie. I love your description that it's like "shallows in the sea"!!! That's the perfect analogy! The pink diamonds do look somewhat "muddy" in the photos,although I'm not sure why. I've noticed that they get totally lost in the rose gold and need some contrast so probably not right for this setting.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
wordie89|1374276323|3486470 said:
+1. Love the blue green and touch of yellow. You must have been fast on the draw for tgt :<)

Glad you like it!! It's a bit of a chameleon, being only blue indoors!! The green comes out more when I take it outside. And actually, I missed the blue afghan tourmaline on Brad's drop ( I wasn't fast enough-haha) -but he emailed me pics of a couple more he had from the same grouping!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a calming colour with excellent cut. Rose brings out the colour well but the pink diamonds are lost within it; I almost didn't realize they were there.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It sort of reminds me when I first joined PS that everyone was looking for Seafoam colored gemstones. It was all the rage. This would have been highly sought after :cheeky: . I love the paler colored gemstones that aren't vivid. As Chrono said it is calming and the color looks gorgeous by rose gold! I would even bezel it in a high karat weight YG or a pinky RG. that would be stunning!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1374281608|3486524 said:
Such a calming colour with excellent cut. Rose brings out the colour well but the pink diamonds are lost within it; I almost didn't realize they were there.

I think that is why I am drawn to it, Chrono- because of the calming color. Aquamarines are my birthstone, but I haven't seen many that I love. This kind of fills that "watery" color for me. And,yes, you have to look very hard to see the little diamonds snuggled in the chain!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1374319312|3486654 said:
It sort of reminds me when I first joined PS that everyone was looking for Seafoam colored gemstones. It was all the rage. This would have been highly sought after :cheeky: . I love the paler colored gemstones that aren't vivid. As Chrono said it is calming and the color looks gorgeous by rose gold! I would even bezel it in a high karat weight YG or a pinky RG. that would be stunning!

I googled Seafoam tourmalines and -wow- what a range of colors people are calling seafoam!! But I do think this color falls into that catagory!! So thanks, SB! I found this picture and thought how pretty it was with some of the different shades all called seafoam tourmalines. I'm feeling the urge to go to the Caribbean-like tomorrow :lol:

_111.jpeg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
One more question- since it measures 7.6 x 6 would this work at all in an 8 x 6 setting or would that be too far off?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shouldn't be an issue in a pronged 8x6 mm setting. Yes, this colour was the rage and couldn't be found fast enough, prices seemed to creep up too. :wacko: I much prefer this over aquamarine even though it is my birthstone too.

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
It looks really good with the chain color!

The stone is so captivating, I had to go back to the photo again because I didn't even realized that the diamonds are in the second shot too :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results