shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on setting U-V ultra moody diamond

fel

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I tried to add to an old thread on this, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. I purchased a rather unique 1 carat OEC which shows strong white fluorescence and slight (but super cool) phosphorescence. It it certified by GIA as natural origin, light yellow, U to V range. I am showing some new picts of the unset diamond to give you an idea of how it changes. What I couldn't capture is the terrific fire it shows in certain light.

I would love some thoughts on how one sets a diamond like this to best show off the color. Although GIA did not note any green, I see green in direct light -- esp. LED or hard sunlight. I am thinking of setting in a deco sort of platinum arrangement. I need a new wedding and engagement ring as my current one, hand designed for me by an artist, doesn't fit most of the time (my fingers swell at the slightest change of weather, and the shank is too thick and uneven to tolerate that.) So, I need something thinner. Also, my 20th anniversary is this year. The ring you see in the picture is a temp I bought from diamond bistro (thanks again to the seller -- love it!)

I would love suggestions from all you color experts out there. Please feel free to be critical -- I know some people are thin-skinned on this list but I work in special education advocacy and quite frankly it takes more than gem criticism to shake me. The diamond is certainly imperfect -- in some light it is not eye clean, but in most situations it looks pretty good. Anyway, it is past the return period.

Also -- sorry for the puffy hands. i was actually laying antique bricks today for my new walkway, and scuffed up my hands. I bet you all didn't know a ton of bricks can fit into a mini cooper.... and I have the picts to prove it.

btw: I don't do fragile rings. I am an academic type but tend to get my hands dirty gardening, fixing things, carrying bricks, etc.

Thanks!!!!
Fel

u-v-diamond.jpg

u-v-diamond-2.jpg

u-v-diamond3.jpg

u-v-diamond4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fel|1383104031|3547222 said:
Hi,
I tried to add to an old thread on this, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. I purchased a rather unique 1 carat OEC which shows strong white fluorescence and slight (but super cool) phosphorescence. It it certified by GIA as natural origin, light yellow, U to V range. I am showing some new picts of the unset diamond to give you an idea of how it changes. What I couldn't capture is the terrific fire it shows in certain light.

I would love some thoughts on how one sets a diamond like this to best show off the color. Although GIA did not note any green, I see green in direct light -- esp. LED or hard sunlight. I am thinking of setting in a deco sort of platinum arrangement. I need a new wedding and engagement ring as my current one, hand designed for me by an artist, doesn't fit most of the time (my fingers swell at the slightest change of weather, and the shank is too thick and uneven to tolerate that.) So, I need something thinner. Also, my 20th anniversary is this year. The ring you see in the picture is a temp I bought from diamond bistro (thanks again to the seller -- love it!)

I would love suggestions from all you color experts out there. Please feel free to be critical -- I know some people are thin-skinned on this list but I work in special education advocacy and quite frankly it takes more than gem criticism to shake me. The diamond is certainly imperfect -- in some light it is not eye clean, but in most situations it looks pretty good. Anyway, it is past the return period.

Also -- sorry for the puffy hands. i was actually laying antique bricks today for my new walkway, and scuffed up my hands. I bet you all didn't know a ton of bricks can fit into a mini cooper.... and I have the picts to prove it.

btw: I don't do fragile rings. I am an academic type but tend to get my hands dirty gardening, fixing things, carrying bricks, etc.

Thanks!!!!
Fel

I'm very predictable on this forum, but I would go with rose gold, and if you could find an antique style rose gold setting that would surround your piece, that would be very pretty. To me, the rose gold really helps to accentuate the green in diamonds. I wouldn't go with yellow gold because it won't really do much for the diamond, and white gold may wash it out. I like white metal with a more white diamond. JMO. Here's an example of the type of setting I would go for, and since it's an OMC, it would be appropriate. However, you may want something more modern. I like how the setting cups the stone, and the metal really does accentuate those kinds of colored diamonds in my experience.

Please don't do any brick laying, gardening, fixing things, with your future diamond ring. I watch a lot of DIY shows, and I'm always flabbergasted how many women wear their diamond rings while laying floors, sawing, and hammering. :errrr:

ygolddiaring.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool diamond!

I think rose or high karat yellow would be awesome. To get a sense of rose, try pairing it with a penny.

fel

Shiny_Rock
OK, by popular demand here is the diamond with copper sheeting (left over from a gardening project, so it is rather crinkly.)

The gorgeous bright aqua is when a strong LED light is shining directly on it. The others are fluorescent lights in my house.

I think the copper does help the green but it seems to completely kill the yellow. I am not sure I want to get rid of the yellow -- I sort of like that the Chryso feel it gives in some situations. But I am considering it...

This diamond really defies definition, it is so different in every setting.

u-v-copper-green.jpg

u-v-gray.jpg

u-v-dull-gray.jpg

u-v-aqua.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, if you want to highlight the yellow, perhaps you could use a yellow basket, or bezel it in yellow gold, and make the rest of the ring in white gold. I think a full yellow gold ring would be overkill, and the stone would "blend" in with the ring.

I have a light yellow diamond that I bezeled in 18K yellow gold, and the rest of the ring is in white gold, and it really enhances the yellow. You could try that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wonder if the yellow would do too much to enhance the yellow in the stone. I have a chryso and when up against my yellow gold, it actually enhances the green more than the yellow

uploadfromtaptalk1379176959960.jpg

i think the rose gold is beautiful, and my favorite, but if you dont want to emphasize the green, you might be right by going with white metal

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1383138176|3547358 said:
i wonder if the yellow would do too much to enhance the yellow in the stone. I have a chryso and when up against my yellow gold, it actually enhances the green more than the yellow

uploadfromtaptalk1379176959960.jpg

i think the rose gold is beautiful, and my favorite, but if you dont want to emphasize the green, you might be right by going with white metal

Well, I have a chryso, and I did it in a halo of yellow gold, with a white gold shank, so I'm personally not a fan of too much yellow gold for yellow stones. The OP originally had found this stone in a fully yellow gold setting, and the stone seemed to fade away in there. It has nothing to do with the beauty of the stone, but I think metal color is a really important aspect to setting a gem, and sometimes its overlooked.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a chrysoberyl in 18k yellow gold which seemed to bring out the green more strongly. It seems like rose gold isn't good for the yellow part. Have you tried yellow gold yet? I'm hoping it will work the same way yellow gold is used to enhance fancy yellow diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383139464|3547376 said:
I have a chrysoberyl in 18k yellow gold which seemed to bring out the green more strongly. It seems like rose gold isn't good for the yellow part. Have you tried yellow gold yet? I'm hoping it will work the same way yellow gold is used to enhance fancy yellow diamonds.

Chrono,
She actually found the diamond in a yellow gold setting. Here's her original thread. What do you think of the stone in all yellow gold?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/light-yellowish-green-oec-diamond.192695/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/light-yellowish-green-oec-diamond.192695/[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I remember that thread but don't recall nor am able to find out whether the original setting was 14k or 18k YG. I noticed that even prong setting my L coloured diamond in 18k YG gave it more warmth. It was originally in a 14k WG setting and looked very white in it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Here is something for you to compare the warmer coloured diamond in an 18K white and 18k yellow gold setting.

I have a "light yellow" OEC. it is about 0.5ct. It was graded by IGI lab here in Australia as an O. we do not have a GIA lab here. Perhaps the IGI lab would have given it a softer grading further up the colour scale...I have seen an O/P OEC GIA graded diamond. And, i believe it much lower/ yellower than that. but not a UV colour. i have included the PS preloved jewellry picture of the OEC next to an F radiant to give it a comparison of the lower coloured diamond.

I am still new to the jewellry design and names... so here goes the description.....it is set with fishtail prongs in a white milgrained bezel platform of 18k white gold on an 18k yellow gold band. i have attached a photo of the ring to give you an idea. sorry that the picture isnt as clear as i like to show the difference. i have another pic of it before i sent it back for minor changes...

photo_2__1_0.jpg

next2f.jpg

right_hand_with_asscher_and_rolling_ring.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383140083|3547392 said:
TL,
I remember that thread but don't recall nor am able to find out whether the original setting was 14k or 18k YG. I noticed that even prong setting my L coloured diamond in 18k YG gave it more warmth. It was originally in a 14k WG setting and looked very white in it.

Not sure.

Here's a photo of three diamond rings in various metal combinations. The top ring is a light yellow diamond in an 18K yellow gold bezel with a white gold shank and halo. It's hard to see in this bad photo, but it really brings out the yellow in the gem. The second ring is a rose gold halo with a white gold shank and a brownish pink diamond. The third is a fully rose gold ring with a greenish grey diamond in an antique style setting (which is why I made my choice at the top of this thread), and it really brings out the green.

tlmetal_junkie.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Fel wanted to bring out the yellow, which is why I thought yellow gold might be a good choice, as you've done with your yellow diamond? Yellow can also bring out greens, not as well as rose, but seems like a good compromise given that rose killed the yellow in her OEC.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1383140980|3547412 said:
I thought Fel wanted to bring out the yellow, which is why I thought yellow gold might be a good choice, as you've done with your yellow diamond? Yellow can also bring out greens, not as well as rose, but seems like a good compromise given that rose killed the yellow in her OEC.

Yes, I think she can use yellow, but I would use it minimally, as in a bezel or basket, and do the rest of the piece in white metal then. I think all yellow would be overkill. It works better with your chrysoberyl since your stone is very saturated and large. I think with a delicate yellow diamond, it would be too much to have the whole ring in yellow gold. An 18K basket or bezel would be nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Having the contrast of a white metal band will make the yellow bezel or basket pop more.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be watching your progress closely, as I have a transitional cut, about the same size, that also has phosphorescence, that I bought from ForteKitty (she estimated it to be in the S-T range). Here are some pics of settings that I've popped it in, to give a bit of an idea on different metals. I realize these aren't the types of settings you're thinking of, but hope this helps!

tranny_in_yg.jpg

img_7988.jpg

img_8344.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
I might have said this before, but I think I want one each of TL's rings :)

As mentioned, the diamond was originally in a 14k gold men's belcher setting and it did not look too attractive in that setting. I have a decent amount of 18 carat gold, but holding it up to those rings, it doesn't seem to pop. I have no way to test a "cup" that I can think of.

I guess I like that sometimes it looks yellow and sometimes it looks green, if that makes sense. It is like having a color shifting diamond. How about a white (platinum or 18k white gold) surround (bezel or interesting decorative prongs) in rose gold for the rest of the ring? Or 22k surround in white gold? I have my eye on two old rings that may be adaptable with some bench work. One is rose and one is platinum. The idea would be to change around the prongs or even make a bezel for these rings. For the rose one I would obviously remove the pearl and put in a plat bezel. Both are within my price range.

-F

screen_shot_2013-10-30_at_1.png

screen_shot_2013-10-30_at_0.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1383151981|3547556 said:
I will be watching your progress closely, as I have a transitional cut, about the same size, that also has phosphorescence, that I bought from ForteKitty (she estimated it to be in the S-T range). Here are some pics of settings that I've popped it in, to give a bit of an idea on different metals. I realize these aren't the types of settings you're thinking of, but hope this helps!
That absolutely looks most yellow in the white metal halo

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1383151981|3547556 said:

NKOTB, where did you get that 2nd setting. I love it!

Fel, I agree that you should use non-white metal to bring out the color in the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like NKOTB's most in the yellow gold setting, and least in the white diamond halo.

I like the OP's stone most with the rose gold so far because it looks more green.

Have you thought about green gold? It's less "brassy" than yellow gold. I wonder if something in green and rose gold would look cool...

fel

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB -- That is a great diamond. Love it. I might like the first setting best for your diamond. But somehow mine doesn't seem to work as well with the yellow gold. I actually thought of purchasing that 3rd setting -- it was on bistro-- right? It went super fast.

Green gold -- I am really looking to modify or outright purchase an antique setting. Not sure how I would find one in green gold ... I don't even know anyone who works in green gold. I also find that it is hard to "match" rose gold, so modifications can be difficult.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got both the second and third settings on DB. The second one is an S. Kashi.

I think that rose gold pearl setting would look cool with your diamond, fel!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wild--I'm following this thread too because I have a W-X that leans from a warm vanilla, to light yellow, to green at times too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with your quest.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1383166229|3547735 said:
Wild--I'm following this thread too because I have a W-X that leans from a warm vanilla, to light yellow, to green at times too.

ETA: I didn't realize that a tendency towards the green occurred so frequently with lower colored diamonds--I actually didn't know mine had that tendency until I received it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I love the way it looks on that copper flashing. I'd go with the pinkest rose gold you can find for the entire ring. I'd focus on bringing out one color strongly over a shift between less intense shades. Plus how amazingly cool would a teal diamond be?! I'd have Brian Gavin (who has gorgeous rose gold) do a Sholdt semibezel. I realize this is not the style you're looking for so thank you for indulging my day dreams that I owned this beauty!

Can't wait to see what you decide!

_11430.jpg

_11431.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
If I got that pearl trinity setting, do any of you know someone who could create a rose gold open (letting in light) bezel to match? It would mean trying to match the gold color, which is probably a specialized skill. I love the James Meyer/Caleb Meyer bezels, but doubt if they would work on a pre-crafted ring.

Fel

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fel|1383180875|3547860 said:
If I got that pearl trinity setting, do any of you know someone who could create a rose gold open (letting in light) bezel to match? It would mean trying to match the gold color, which is probably a specialized skill. I love the James Meyer/Caleb Meyer bezels, but doubt if they would work on a pre-crafted ring.

Fel

I've heard JBEG can do repair work on old setting. I'd email them with a pic and your idea see what they say.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the rose setting! I think the platinum bezel with the rg setting would look great. I personally don't love two-tone settings, but I often like contrast-colored bezels, and this one is particularly nice.

FWIW, I still think high carat yellow gold could look nice. I think the belcher setting overwhelmed the stone in general because of its design and that a more minimal setting in yellow gold with some melee, such as NKOTB's fistail prong setting (which I am IN LOVE WITH OMG!!!) could have a totally different effect.

Of course, I don't think you can really go wrong with the pearl setting, if it can be replicated or modified.

fel

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB's fishtail setting is on sale right now on loupe. If I thought it would look good with my diamond I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm almost tempted to get it for some future colored stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results