shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on rutile in sapphire

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if I could get any thoughts or opinions on needle inclusions in sapphires. I'm considering one that is the perfect color but has rutile. It does not take away from the stone in my opinion but would like some input. Do these inclusions make it more susceptible to chips/cracks? Any other thoughts or opinions about it? Thank you.

_12396.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it heated or unheated? I cannot see clearly enough to tell whether what you are seeing is rutile needles, boehmite needles or healed fractures.

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
I believe this one is unheated. I don't have a camera, only my phone, so I can't get a close enough picture without it blurring. I do have a 10x loupe and when I looked through it, it looked like a bunch of needles throughout the whole stone. They needles looked parallel to each other then there are ones that come from another direction which also have a bunch parallel to each other. I don't know if this helps. What is the difference between the three inclusions?

Does this photo help?

_12397.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are some amazing photo's of sapphire inclusions on a microscopic level. Here's a link to one that popped up......Sapphire 5 on the left sounds like what you are describing. The only concern I have is that they don't break the surface of the stone......and if you always see them with the naked eye they may get in the way of enjoying the stone. They are not valued as much as less included specimens.......which is why they are often so affordable. OTOH, they do tell the story of the stone......if only it could talk!

http://www.corunduminium.com/oldsitebackup/page/micro.htm

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me as long as the stone's durability isn't compromised, color trumps all. I know others might disagree.

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
@Digdeep why would it be a concern that they don't break the surface of the stone? As for what it looks like, it's not too distracting to me, it actually looks interesting. Sort of looks like shattered glass when the light hits it. Very interesting.

@Elliot do these types of inclusions affect durability? That is a concern of mine but I don't know much about inclusions.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rutile needles should not affect durability at all - I think what others are perhaps saying is that its not clear whether its solely rutile, or whether its also boehmite needles (which I *think* are typically light or white in appearance), or whether they are feathers or healed fractures. It is the fractures that would be the durability concern.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and fwiw, it looks lovely to me - I love the consistency of what is going on in the stone as it makes a great network or pattern. I would be happy to have that stone. It is not often that you see corundum with such a regular pattern of inclusions; more often that not, it is stones where there is one eye-catching inclusion that stands out like a dark mark or crack. :knockout:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kriskn04|1386205747|3567789 said:
@Digdeep why would it be a concern that they don't break the surface of the stone? As for what it looks like, it's not too distracting to me, it actually looks interesting. Sort of looks like shattered glass when the light hits it. Very interesting.

@Elliot do these types of inclusions affect durability? That is a concern of mine but I don't know much about inclusions.

I'm a big fan of inclusions, and I agree it looks very interesting and unique! My comment about the surface was that you may have a stress point that could jeopardize the stone when it is set. There is a lot of pressure exerted on stones when set. I've had some jewelers refuse to take an included sapphire! Solution: I found a more experienced bench. "Inclusions" covers a huge territory and that comment was a general one in case there are surface weaknesses or potential issues in setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any inclusions that break the surface or is a surface reaching type of inclusion?

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
@Minousbijoux, thanks for clarifying! I feel very torn on whether to keep it or not though. :(

@Digdeep, thanks for clarifying as well! I guess I wasn't clear on what you were asking. I thought inclusions were just inclusions and that they were all the same. Did some more reading on them, but still a little confused.

@Chrono, I looked at it more closely and it does have some larger inclusions that don't look like needles but they don't look like they are too close to the surface. The needle like inclusions however look like they "exit" the stone. The surface texture of the stone looks like it has mini pores. Are those what healing fractures are?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires have many different types of inclusions, not just rutile; host crystals (apatite, spinel or some other crystal trapped within the sapphire), cavaties filled with liquid or gas, twinning, growth zoning, TiO2 rutile aka silk, boehmite needles and healed fractures. I think the colour and cut both look wonderful and if the inclusions are not distracting to you, it could be a good buy. My concern is main with inclusions that break the surface. Surface reaching fractures not only impair durability, they also are portals for fluids to enter which may cause stains. Depending on the location and size, it may not be suitable as a ring stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kriskn04|1386295242|3568510 said:
@Minousbijoux, thanks for clarifying! I feel very torn on whether to keep it or not though. :(

@Digdeep, thanks for clarifying as well! I guess I wasn't clear on what you were asking. I thought inclusions were just inclusions and that they were all the same. Did some more reading on them, but still a little confused.

@Chrono, I looked at it more closely and it does have some larger inclusions that don't look like needles but they don't look like they are too close to the surface. The needle like inclusions however look like they "exit" the stone. The surface texture of the stone looks like it has mini pores. Are those what healing fractures are?

This is a great description. I cannot say whether this is an issue, but love your description. I'm wondering if you can go back to the source and ask about these?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Whenever I have hesitated on a stone based on flaws, I've found they bother me over time. I've learned, for me, that it's best to return immediately. You may be different.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Any way you can get to a microscope? At a kid's school or maybe friends? A look at it that way would tell you if any inclusions break the surface -- and it's absolutely LOADS of fun to see the stone microscopically. I think it's a neat sapphire -- I like the color and the...what?...texture, I guess you could call it, as long as no inclusions threaten its integrity.

Here's a hint: I took a spinel to a high end jeweler, looking at settings. Got into a conversation with him & he put it under his microscope for me. Didn't buy anything, but he was so nice -- that's one way to take a peek at it, if you have time to trot to someone like that.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results