shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a emerald ring please

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I am considering the purchase of either a ruby, sapphire or emerald ring. The reason for all of those being in the mix is that I don't have any of them! Basically the idea behind it is to have a 'stand in' engagement ring 1-3 carats, halo set. It would not be a daily wear and would swap to a right hand ring in the next couple of years. I would like it to be pre owned to get value for money.
I'm not looking for options, I would just really appreciate a bit of feedback on this ring. I won't post the site but it's 1 1/2 carat emerald. No idea if it's been treated, could I have it tested easily? Hall marked Victorian. The vendor offers a good return policy and I have bought from them before and had very good value for money.
Now I know it's only photos but if I anyone has any thoughts I would be really grateful, I know very little!

_21684.jpg

_21685.jpg

_21686.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meely|1409092551|3739750 said:
Hi everyone. I am considering the purchase of either a ruby, sapphire or emerald ring. The reason for all of those being in the mix is that I don't have any of them! Basically the idea behind it is to have a 'stand in' engagement ring 1-3 carats, halo set. It would not be a daily wear and would swap to a right hand ring in the next couple of years. I would like it to be pre owned to get value for money.
I'm not looking for options, I would just really appreciate a bit of feedback on this ring. I won't post the site but it's 1 1/2 carat emerald. No idea if it's been treated, could I have it tested easily? Hall marked Victorian. The vendor offers a good return policy and I have bought from them before and had very good value for money.
Now I know it's only photos but if I anyone has any thoughts I would be really grateful, I know very little!

I love the setting, but the stone may not be original to the ring. I would make sure it's not synthetic, as it is very clean, although as a lighter emerald, they usually tend to be cleaner.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I think the setting is one of the major plus' it's looks very clean to me as well from looking most seen significantly more included often to the detriment of the stone. I like the colour but I wouldn't want it lighter, equally the very dark stones do not appeal. Does the lighter colour play a big factor in price?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meely|1409095053|3739771 said:
Yes I think the setting is one of the major plus' it's looks very clean to me as well from looking most seen significantly more included often to the detriment of the stone. I like the colour but I wouldn't want it lighter, equally the very dark stones do not appeal. Does the lighter colour play a big factor in price?

Yes, pale emeralds do not hold the same value as darker and more saturated green ones, especially if the clarity is good.

The one gem where I can accept dark tone is emerald. It's hard to describe, but one must see a fine darker toned emerald in person. They don't look black, but glow a velvety green.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard for me to be objective about these kinds of rings because I adore them! I'm a sucker for this style of vintage ring. I think the setting is amazing, looks to be in very good condition and the diamonds look clear and sparkly, and look like old cuts to me - and I am obviously far from an expert, but I think the emerald is a lovely color. TL's suggestion to confirm it's a natural emerald is sound advice, but I think it is a gorgeous vintage piece.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! The only unknown in this case is whether the emerald is natural or synthetic. And yes, lighter emeralds are usually cleaner and less expensive than deeper coloured ones.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the responses. The price is $3250. Any thoughts on this? Presuming it's not synthetic anyway! My feeling is that this a very fair price given size, lack of inclusions, attractive setting etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18K YG setting? What about the diamonds?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I don't know. The seller hasn't graded them she never does. Im not overly bothered about clarity, as long as they are sparkly which I am happy to judge with my eyes if I choose to get it. She's says they are old cut cushions, stunning colour and clarity. 15 pts. I would be happy with j sl2 as long as they have been cut well. What do you think?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meely, I've been looking at these kinds of vintage rings for the past month, and frankly just going by what I've seen, I feel it's an excellent price. IMO the diamonds look to be very nice quality and well cut, as I said they look clear and not too low in color - they are also a very nice size!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order to gauge whether the price is fair or too high, one has to know what to base the values on.
Presuming worse case scenario (synthetic emerald, low coloured diamonds, etc), the ring could be as low as $2K.
Presuming best case scenario (natural emerald, mid quality diamonds, etc), the ring could be a steal at $3K.
Without knowing the total carat weight, approximate colour and clarity, and other details, we are all shooting darts in the dark. It is like trying to buy a TV without knowing its specifications.

1. Does the seller have a good return policy (full refund and no restocking fee)?
2. Do you have someone who can check out the diamond and emeralds for you?

I just saw that you wrote the diamonds are 0.15 ct each? If that is the case, $100 x 10 = $1000 will be for the diamonds alone if purchased new (L SI1). There's some cost for the 18K YG setting and labour...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Junebug and chrono thanks for your thoughts. I am assuming diamonds are good quality and emerald is real. I have 14 days to return. My plan if I buy is presuming I like it is to take to the jewellers and get it checked out. If the diamonds are crap and the emeralds fake I will return! Just got to see if SO goes for it though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1409143084|3740029 said:
Meely, I've been looking at these kinds of vintage rings for the past month, and frankly just going by what I've seen, I feel it's an excellent price. IMO the diamonds look to be very nice quality and well cut, as I said they look clear and not too low in color - they are also a very nice size!

Junebug,
So, even if the stone is synthetic, would that be a fair price for just the setting? I'm not as familiar with vintage jewelry values, so I don't know. Also, can one easily assess this to be a truly vintage period piece (Victorian era in this case).

Meely,
If you're buying it for the way it looks, and the price isn't including much in the way of the value of the center stone, it might be worth it to get it. I know some vintage pieces have a premium due to their demand and vintage value. It may be worth getting simply because the ring is beautiful, and you can ascertain it is truly vintage. However, if you're buying it because of the emerald, further testing will be necessary.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No it definitely needs to be the real McCoy I wouldn't buy it for €300 dollars if the emerald wasn't real. I'm pretty sure it will be hallmarked (I'm in the uk) which will give me date and place of manufacturer. I reckon 1890s, it looks like the genuine article age wise.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a ring I bought last year excuse the hands. Now it's definitely a fun piece. 9ct gold with opals. The opals are a little irregular so it's not perfect. But they have amazing fire. It was bought from the same seller, hallmarked as 1950 something but she didn't put that in the description. It was about €260 I would have paid more!

_21707.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually a newbie question I've just thought of. I can see inclusions in the photos of the emerald ring I posted. I assumed that they would be visible to everyone but maybe not as you cannot zoom as well on my screen shots! Do synthetic emeralds have inclusions as well. If there is a discussion on this somewhere I've missed please point me that way!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks that was useful. I will let you know if we decide to buy

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have bought it! It's coming on Friday. I've spoken to my jeweller they will look at it in store and if they cannot tell will take it up to London on Monday for same day testing ! Thanks everyone for your input! Il update on Friday!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meely|1409146576|3740073 said:
I have bought it! It's coming on Friday. I've spoken to my jeweller they will look at it in store and if they cannot tell will take it up to London on Monday for same day testing ! Thanks everyone for your input! Il update on Friday!

Be careful, jewelers are not always as good at testing stones, especially emeralds, sapphires and rubies.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
+1 on TL's comment. Have a sack of salt at hand. I hope you managed to negotiate the price down Meely, seemed rather overpriced imo.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needfullshinythings|1409148731|3740087 said:
+1 on TL's comment. Have a sack of salt at hand. I hope you managed to negotiate the price down Meely, seemed rather overpriced imo.

I respectfully disagree, if the emerald is natural. If each diamond is .15 points, we're talking 1.5 carats of diamonds, a seller is not going to give it away. But I agree it certainly is worth a try to negotiate.

TL, I offered my opinion on the assumption the emerald is natural. I would think the price should be lower if it's synthetic.

Chrono and others are being the voice of reason, I guess I'm more in the enabling role lol. Here's the thing - with vintage pieces like this, sometimes it's worth paying a little extra if you really love it - it's really hard to break down the value of a piece like this, and compare it to modern day standards. Yeah, you can do it to a point but the age, condition and just overall charm and uniqueness of the piece come into play as well. I stand by my opinion that the asking price is reasonable. Is it the deal of the century? No, but I think it's a fair price.

Since there is a return period, another option is to take it for an appraisal with an independent appraiser (not one associated with a jewelry store). If the specs aren't to your liking or if you feel you did indeed overpay you can return it.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Meely, just wanted to say I bought a beautiful Victorian blue zircon ring from that seller a couple years ago. I sold it last fall and regret it. But I had it checked out by a jeweler here and everything was real. It had old cut diamonds all around the zircon. I loved that ring and would buy from her again.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Overpriced? Well going on the assumption that the emerald and diamonds are nice Perhaps it would be over where you are but over here that's a good price. I have looked at comparables $1500-3000 more which are far more included. Plus I like the setting, a lot of vintage emerald rings I looked at 1940-80s are chunky and showy, this isn't. The jeweller is going to take it up to london on Monday to be tested so provided I get it in time I have no worries on that score. The other thing is - I'm not looking for a steal, I do not mind paying the going rate for something I really like. I want value for money obviously but I want something that looks right over that. I did not want to purchase a stone and make a setting up either that would be expensive and over here the quality would not be there, unless I went abroad. if I paid $3300 on a ring and had it shipped I would have to be another $600 for that. Thanks for comments.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Livannie missed your comment thanks for your encouragement and I'm sorry to hear you lost your ring. Hopefully something even better will come along at some point.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
My comments weren't meant as criticism, JMO that's all. Having purchased and sold virtually identical rings in the past 12months the first thing I obviously noticed is the price !!! If the OP is happy with the ring and the cost is not a problem then all is good in the world, Meely I hope it makes you smile every time you wear it. Junebug, " Thoughts on this emerald ring " was the title of the thread so I gave them, no criticism intended or delivered. A little pricey was my thought. By the way I am in the UK and have used all the independent appraisal companies available to me and the results are not good at all, just look at my Alexandrite thread !!!!!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No offence taken at all. If you want to point me in the direction of where I can get something nicer for less money I'm all ears!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Meely, my experience of trawling has led me away from " wealthy areas " as they tend to ask prices to fit the local population, the phrase " its grim up north " is not far wrong as far as I am concerned. Most of the areas I visit are the midlands & the Yorkshire areas, if I see a sign post for a little town I'm like a rat up a drainpipe, small town = small population & minimal through traffic. The small 5 generation family shops are my favourite, they don't turn over their stock like a city shop. My favourite of all time is in Nottingham, ive managed to build up a good friendship with the owner and whenever he gets a " nice " emerald piece he lets me know. Next time your near Notts give me a shout and I will guide you to him. Next time I visit him I will take my camera and snap a few of the rings for you, he has a nice selection of period pieces with Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby as the centre stone. Very fairly priced and open to an offer.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol well I'm in oxfordshire so perhaps that explains why I haven't got bargains coming out of my ears! I would expect that pawn shops would be cheaper but of course there's a time element involved and a lot of sifting through. If you have got any examples of previously bought emerald pieces from your man in Nottingham id love to see.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Sorry Meely I cant find 1, ive just spent the last 20mins trying to get my e-bay to give up some old sales but it wont let me. The last 1 I sold on e-bay was xmas time, the others went to friends & family. I will make some calls and get some pictures sorted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results