shape
carat
color
clarity

This is an Alexandrite!!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Btw.

The pink flashes ( or red flashes) are not the incandescent color.

You see them in dark colored CCG, Alex , deep chrome tourmaline and Cobalt spinel - the stone is like a filter and absorbe most of the dispersion colors like orange, yellow, green .. only red and the body color is visible - try to look at your stones at daylight - you see deep green with a small red rim.

These are the red flashes.

In a pale blue zircon you see the whole rainbow if you move is slowly.

liao

Shiny_Rock
by "Extreme twinning the stone looks in daylight a bit bicolored", if you mean pleochroism, it's not. The stone looks bluish green / blue green with some pink flash under mix light, bluish green/blue-green under flourescent light, and nearly perfect pink under incandescent light.

about the LA-ICP- MS, is it the same as LC-ICP-MS?

I know right... The lowest Fe content of any tanzanian alex I have ever seen is 0.47%! The photo above is taken under mix light. if you see the container of second picture, there is a little reflection of the lighter that I used. The pink flashes is the same color as the color of the stone under pure incandescent light. For some reason, this alex looks black if I take the photo under 'pure' fluorescent or incandescent. yeah! the photo of this alex looks 'black' under incandescent. strange isn't it :knockout:

The stone is eye clean, but I can see some tiny feather inclusion under 15x loupe

I think I will let Gubelin conclude the origin of this stone :angel: If this stone is a russian alex, I think I will return it to the seller. 8)

I ordered dichroscope from GIA (together with a new RI liquid). it shall arrive once I am home

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
OF COURSE!!!

Anybody would return an eyeclean russian alex with a strong color change!!!!

We will open a topic :" Criminal fraudster sold an eyeclean russian Alex to liao - with a strong color change - SCANDAL!!!"

Twinning is not pleochroism.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1417025355|3790767 said:
OF COURSE!!!

Anybody would return an eyeclean russian alex with a strong color change!!!!

We will open a topic :" Criminal fraudster sold an eyeclean russian Alex to liao - with a strong color change - SCANDAL!!!"

Twinning is not pleochroism.

The seller is someone I know very well. I have been buying alex from him as long as I can remember. Thus, I value my relation more than the stupid premium of russian origin alex. Beside, the stone is too clean to be russian alex.

So... what is twinning?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao: I see that you have recently joined the other online gemology forum (which we are not allowed to name here). As you are no doubt aware, that forum is largely comprised of those in the trade. If I were you, I would start a thread there as well on your alex as no doubt you will have Marlow plus many more knowledgeable gemology experts weighing in on what exactly you might have.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Is it boring???? :lol: :lol:

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1417030235|3790803 said:
http://www.gem-a.com/media/86189/art%201%20schmetzer%20chrysoberyl%20final.pdf

scroll down to figure 12 and 13!

and figure 19 - then you see what I mean....

is there any specific setting to observe this phenomenon?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes you see it with the naked eye, sometimes in water or immersion liquid...

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1417107146|3791291 said:
Sometimes you see it with the naked eye, sometimes in water or immersion liquid...

I cannot see it neither with my naked eye nor when I immerse it under water. what is this immersion liquid you are talking about? I tried to take a better pic, but I cannot capture a better pic ;( I hope this other stone compensate your disappointing feeling toward my photography skill. This is a pretty big burmese red-flame spinel. it shift from pure red under most light to flame oragy red under strong incandescent light. This baby need a total recut tho

img_20141127_093620.jpg

img_20141127_093552.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1417110915|3791310 said:

I cannot see it neither with my naked eye nor when I immerse it under water. what is this immersion liquid you are talking about? I tried to take a better pic, but I cannot capture a better pic ;( I hope this other stone compensate your disappointing feeling toward my photography skill. This is a pretty big burmese red-flame spinel. it shift from pure red under most light to flame oragy red under strong incandescent light. This baby need a total recut tho

Before I read your comment I thought this was the alexandrite 8)

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Love that deep purple-red hue!

liao

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1417213098|3791928 said:
liao|1417110915|3791310 said:

Before I read your comment I thought this was the alexandrite 8)

wow! if only it was true. I have been collecting alex for more than 50 years, and I only seen less than ten alex as red as that spinel. If an alex with that color change and size exist, it definitely will break pink star's record :love:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
But we still wait for a larger picture of your alex!

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1417246589|3792192 said:
But we still wait for a larger picture of your alex!

I took this an hour ago. I hope this is large enough :angel:

It is impossible (at least for me) to capture the daylight color, so I asked my friend to photoshop it a bit. The stone has more secondary blue hue than this pic, but it is much better than the my the original photo that I took, right?

img_20141126_105743.jpg

img_20141122_233705.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pictures.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Yep, it is tanzanian

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results