shape
carat
color
clarity

The Sunrise Ruby

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
This may be my new holy grail: Property of a lady, the Sunrise Ruby, 25.59 carats, Burmese, unheated, to be offered next month at Sotheby's in Geneva. Presale estimate is $12 million to $18 million. Setting is by Cartier. The Huguette Clark pink diamond will be re-offered, apparently after a nice polishing. the-sunrise-ruby2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call it sour grapes, but either that is an unflattering photo of the stone, or that is seriously not that saturated a stone - certainly not vivid.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour does nothing for me, sorry.

DK :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lord help me, I would love to own that. I would sleep in it. :love: :love: :love: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

In the second link, it looks especially large and luscious when you see the woman holding it, she gives it scale. It's just huuuugge!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
+1. Looks much better when she's holding it. Red is a very difficult color to capture, and I'm sure it shifts a little like any CS.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, that is one ruby ring! :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1429587265|3865169 said:
It is, as we know, hard to photography the color of a ruby, and this one seems especially fickle. Can't tell if it is purplish or orangish, as the pictures with the article below suggest both. But it is remarkably clear!
https://thejewelerblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/the-sunrise-ruby-poised-to-become-the-most-expensive-ruby-ever-sold-at-auction-gem-should-fetch-12m-to-18m/

I like it better when viewed from the side as it is showing a lot more pink.

DK :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I've seen the other pics, I can honestly say I would not kick it out of bed for snoring. :wink2:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second picture (linked) is really pretty. I'd like to see the finger coverage. Too bad it's a tad out of my budget.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
I'm surprised some of you are not in love, the red (may not be perfect) but still, the size, the color, the cut, the overall stone is :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
You could safely wear it out in public. no one would believe it was real.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
We have a tough crowd here!

All colored stones shift slightly in color. Top rubies and red spinels have red/pink fluorescence that make them go more pink in UV light. What I generally avoid is a stone that does not read "red", but you will have shifting either towards pink or towards orange in all red stones, or both pink and orange if the stone is more neutral red. My own red spinel looks like all the different pictures depending on the light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not top red color, but it's rare for the size, being Burmese and having unheated status.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
You may have seen that the sale price exceeded all expectations, $30.33 million.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's hard to judge a stones color from pictures, and every picture posted of this stone, the color looks different. I did see a video of it, where again the color looks different than the pictures. Based on the selling price, and I would image that anyone bidding in the millions of dollars would have paid an expert to look at the stone, it's "more probable than not" that the stone is top color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results