shape
carat
color
clarity

The sort of red stone from africagems

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured i would keep the show and tell threads separate from the other.

For those that don't remember, the vendor pic, here it is:

233spinel.jpg

specs are 9.25x7.25x4.30 mm which is a little shallow but I think its ok considering the material. you'll see that in a minute.

Red apparently an interesting limitation of my camera so none of the pictures came out as red as the stone is IRL. This is the reason why I said sort of red. I've taxed my camera on this stone.

We had a little bit of weak sun today so I tried to make the best of it. I'd love to see what this stone would look like in fuller sun, but that wasn't going to happen. (*shakes fist at mother nature*)

Also, like I said there are certain angles that you can see the inclusion. You'll also see my fingerprints all over the stone (I tried to keep it clean, how impossible is that?)

Will post them in a few minutes. I'm uploading right now :geek:

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taken on the deck (its cold out today btw) Natural light.
red8.jpg

little further away, perspective. Kinda wish it was bigger but the color makes up for it.
red10.jpg

in de jewel box. I'm still outside btw. (freezing) Left is the vietmanese spinel I purchased a little while ago. You can see the big color differences in it at this point (it looks pink)
red13.jpg

Taken with my favorite scarf. I love this scarf. My camera had a issue taking shots like this. However, here you can see the inclusion. It looks quite like a scratch.
red15.jpg

More to come :bigsmile:

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
OK, it's really nice, will you be putting it in a pendant>?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like I mentioned earlier we got some pretty weak sunlight but I'll take what I can get. I couldn't stay outside and wait for it, so I went into the dining room.

On the dining room chair, some sunlight.

red3.jpg

a little bit stronger sun

red7.jpg

want another sun shot? =)
red5.jpg

And even with that, you're still not seeing what I saw. its nearly hard to describe, tbh.

more to come! =)

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1297543338|2850159 said:
OK, it's really nice, will you be putting it in a pendant>?

I just don't know. I go back and forth over what I should really do. The stone seems to be ok and that inclusion isn't very deep either. So I'm going to have to talk to a few gold smiths because I'm going to have to go custom whatever I do.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inside by a window. Its straight up natural light, no sun involved.

red2.jpg

Lower light, my white balance went a bit crazy.
red9.jpg

Another
red11.jpg

Thats all folks! I'd stick in a bunch more but really?? lol :lol:

BTW the images aren't in order, I took oooo 50 or so? I'm just pulling the ones that actually came out clear.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
If you halo it with a rubber gasket it might serve as a bumper!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks fortekitty. Its still not the color I see though. This is the reddest stone I've ever owned. Marc was right; if this stone didn't have the silk it would be worth a TON of money. The silk is what kept it affordable for me (well the inclusion did too considering ).

But these pics to me look a bit oranger than what I see IRL. The vividness is electric. Like somebody plugged it into an outlet. My camera just couldn't pick up all the stuff I was seeing.

I will say there are some instances where I look at it and I'm puzzled. My brain is accustomed to the sparkle, but with this stone you don't get that. You get glow.

It was a different experience for me, and thankfully one that I really enjoyed. I'm going to step out of red stones for a while ..lol

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc - I've got a suspicion that your gem has fluor. Do you have a UV light to test it with? I suspect that's why you're seeing more glow than sparkle but I could be wrong.

I really like it. In your photos (and I know you've said they're not a great representation) I'm seeing an orangey red in sunlight but inside it's a darker red with some purple?? Is that what you're seeing?

I've got to tell you that I really like it. It stands out and is nice and bright. I like it against your skin tone.

How do you feel about it now you've got it? I know that it was love at first sight - do you still feel like that?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1297545051|2850191 said:
Arc - I've got a suspicion that your gem has fluor. Do you have a UV light to test it with?

I really like it. In your photos (and I know you've said they're not a great representation) I'm seeing an orangey red in sunlight but inside it's a much darker red with some purple?? Is that what you're seeing?

I've got to tell you that I really like it. It stands out and is nice and bright. I like it against your skin tone.

How do you feel about it now you've got it? I know that it was love at first sight - do you still feel like that?

Yes Its got fluor but compared to my other red and pink spinels, its on the weaker end. I'm going to dig out my tripod and get some pics of that later this evening.

To the bold, yes and no. I would say thats a closer representation of what I see IRL though and its amazingly bright without being shiny. My camera does not pick up that bluishness even in sunlight, that makes me crazy.

How I feel? Well.. I still love the color, that part hasn't changed because I really do love all colors of red. (I have red patent leather doc martens even! :lol: ) I think what has is the how I feel about the a silky sleepy stone versus a sparkly stone. I do prefer sparkly stones more, even though I really do love this one. The more I'm around it and see it, the more I really enjoy what it has to offer.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297546286|2850210 said:
LovingDiamonds|1297545051|2850191 said:
Arc - I've got a suspicion that your gem has fluor. Do you have a UV light to test it with?

I really like it. In your photos (and I know you've said they're not a great representation) I'm seeing an orangey red in sunlight but inside it's a much darker red with some purple?? Is that what you're seeing?

Yes Its got fluor but compared to my other red and pink spinels, its on the weaker end. I'm going to dig out my tripod and get some pics of that later this evening.

To the bold, yes and no. I would say thats a closer representation of what I see IRL though and its amazingly bright without being shiny. My camera does not pick up that bluishness even in sunlight, that makes me crazy.

How I feel? Well.. I still love the color, that part hasn't changed because I really do love all colors of red. (I have red patent leather doc martens even! :lol: ) I think what has is the how I feel about the a silky sleepy stone versus a sparkly stone. I do prefer sparkly stones more, even though I really do love this one. The more I'm around it and see it, the more I really enjoy what it has to offer.

-A

I don't know if you're the same as me then, but I most definitely wouldn't send this back. This sounds like a slow burning love. I once bought two rings (both yellow diamonds) with the idea of sending one back. Everybody loved the one I didn't. I liked it and it pulled me, but not to the extent of the other. Anyway, I kept both and guess what ........... yep, I love the other one best now!!!!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1297546286|2850210 said:
The more I'm around it and see it, the more I really enjoy what it has to offer.

-A

And that's what really matters, isn't it? :love:

I can certainly see why you like it, I sure do!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, yeah Its with me forever...lol Id be an idiot to send it back and I know that. I'm way too drawn to it (I got up this morning and what did I do, go visit it :lol: )

Thanks colorluvr. The information on this board has been invaluable to many people. A lot of what I learned on this forum have been put into practice in me finding some very beautiful stones this last year.

-A

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a) your pics make it look so red and really make it look internally lit - much better than his pic;

b) my vote is for you to wear it against your skin - like a ring. The glow will be even more dramatic against darker skin, and man, it looks absolutely phenomenal just resting on your hand.

The thing that I find kinda puzzling is why didn't he originally have the price reflect that inclusion, why did you have to point it out? I'm not saying anything about him, because I know everyone speaks really highly; I just wish that had been properly reflected upfront.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband noticed this stone while he was messing with his phone. I'm just sitting here, oogling your pics and I hear this, "Hey, that stone is cool!" from behind me...

That is saying a lot.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Geez, I just don't know what to say now......

Speechless.
(My boss would get a kick out of that :sun: )

It is absolutely the most stunning stone I wish I could see it in real life,
OHHHHHH I would LOVE to own a stone like this, OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!

:love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks minousbijoux I have to figure out who will do what I want to do. I have a ton of ideas in my head, I figure since it can't fit anything I have, I don't want to go with a typical setting, be it pendant or ring. Though I'm more likely to wear a ring than a pendant, tbh.

I think had Marc for sure would have marked it otherwise. My impression is just that it slipped through the cracks. He kept communication open with me during the entire process which goes a long way for me because I'm ubber big on customer service. I don't doubt I will buy from him in the future.

Freke thats funny. My husband was the same way when he saw it in regular daylight, which for him, thats a highly irregular thing! :lol: Tell your hubs I said thank you :bigsmile:

Thanks Shiney. Some cameras are terrible with certain colors, and I just WISH I could invite all of y'all over just to see what I'm talking about. the color is just fire! Were this a sparkly stone it would have been $$$$$$ instead of $$.

-A

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I knew it would be a glowy stone and it sure is, congrats and I hope you are able to set it somehow, way cool.

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice stone. It looks more pink in Marc's photo. Is it like his photo, or more like yours?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluoro pics :appl: sadly I have the flashlight too close and the pictures fuzzed out. I will try that experiment again some other time (hey I'm excited I can't help myself!! :bigsmile: )

fluor111.jpg

here's with some of my other fluoro stones (the oval is a ruby cab)
fluor1111.jpg

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1297558329|2850382 said:
Very nice stone. It looks more pink in Marc's photo. Is it like his photo, or more like yours?

Honestly, neither! Looks like somebody plugged it in and amped it up to 11. (some of y'all will know what that references :tongue: ). The stone is amazingly hard to take photos of and my camera wants to add orange to the mix...damn cameras :nono: . I didn't feel like taking the time to photoshop it as I see it, because I'm lazy that way :bigsmile:

But,IMO Marc was correct in the color description. if not for the silk it would cost $$$$$$ and thats with the inclusion.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1297558396|2850383 said:
Fluoro pics :appl: sadly I have the flashlight too close and the pictures fuzzed out. I will try that experiment again some other time (hey I'm excited I can't help myself!! :bigsmile: )

fluor111.jpg

here's with some of my other fluoro stones (the oval is a ruby cab)
fluor1111.jpg

-A

It's like Predator vision!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol vl. yeah i know. :lol: I can't get cleaner pics, (impatient) tomorrow i'm hoping for better light and not as much cold. :sun:

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmm....mmmmmmm....mmmmmm! :love:

I'll take a nice silky glow over sparkle any day! Your pics show a slight hint of orange which is also my weakness. That might be a perfect stone Arc, IMO anyway. :lickout: Thank you for 'sharing' it with us!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I like red stones to be sleepy/silky. That stone is to die for. :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian-It's a fabulous stone. I love it and just wish I could see it in real life since it looks pinkish in the vendor's picture and orange-ish in yours and it cannot be both! Either it has to have more blue or more yellow. Or maybe it's just a true red!!! No matter what, I love it. One can see that it is perfect, inclusion and all. (My first, great spinel was not intact inside; Richard Hughes said the best stones from the Mogok tract were not!) Why would silk be a drawback? Silk on rubies is prized!!! (At least in moderation.)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deb, I would say its definitly NOT orangy. IRL its got a touch of bluishness to it.

[gross_moment]

I'm about to be kinda gross, so sorry in advance for those who are squeamish. This morning as with every morning I drew a little blood. I have to take a blood sugar test couple of times a day everyday (I'm hypoglycemic, thats another thread though) and well, my new little girl was sitting right there and well . :shock:

I had to do it y'all... :tongue: Results is that my blood is bluer than the stone.

So I can't call it blood red at least. :bigsmile:

[/gross_moment]

But you pit this stone against the ruby in your thread and it WOULD look orange!! That ruby is beyond gorgeous. :lickout: too bad its the wrong size for you. (well, and that price too! whoooooO!!! :errrr: )

I really don't know why the silk isn't so prized because it totally amps the color of the stones. I think a little less silk on this stone would have meant a higher price because in certain lights...especially a little sunlight, all the facets disappear and all you see is this crazy delicious glowy color :lickout: so maybe thats the reason why its not as prized.

But that means more for us who like the stuff huh :naughty: :bigsmile:

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian blood is clearly a different shade than pigeon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results