shape
carat
color
clarity

The sort of red stone from africagems

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks brandy. I've now saved you from yourself :lol: The seller of the other stone dosen't have a website yet He's working on it. However i will say that the stone is on the um...expensive side. He gave me a price of a bit over 2K, but its also bigger at 6cts too.

Thanks lavatea, I think sometimes when you find the stone that makes you kind of gagas you just have to go for it.

@VL we have bluejays, hawks, the occasional owl, and crows, yes. The pigeons wouldn't like being in my hood. :lol:

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297623091|2850853 said:
Thanks Deb, I would say its definitly NOT orangy. IRL its got a touch of bluishness to it.

[gross_moment]

I'm about to be kinda gross, so sorry in advance for those who are squeamish. This morning as with every morning I drew a little blood. I have to take a blood sugar test couple of times a day everyday (I'm hypoglycemic, thats another thread though) and well, my new little girl was sitting right there and well . :shock:

I had to do it y'all... :tongue: Results is that my blood is bluer than the stone.

So I can't call it blood red at least. :bigsmile:

[/gross_moment]

But you pit this stone against the ruby in your thread and it WOULD look orange!! That ruby is beyond gorgeous. :lickout: too bad its the wrong size for you. (well, and that price too! whoooooO!!! :errrr: )

I really don't know why the silk isn't so prized because it totally amps the color of the stones. I think a little less silk on this stone would have meant a higher price because in certain lights...especially a little sunlight, all the facets disappear and all you see is this crazy delicious glowy color :lickout: so maybe thats the reason why its not as prized.

But that means more for us who like the stuff huh :naughty: :bigsmile:

-A

About silk in stones. Silk, if there's a great deal of it, isn't highly prized in gems like rubies, sapphires, and spinels, but microscopic silk that exists to a degree where the stone shows some crystal, and yet, shows little extinction, is very prized. I puchased some mahenge spinels a while ago that were too silky, and I returned them. My trillion mahenge in the halo has some silk, but it is also very crystal. When you combine that quality with saturated color, the gem is more valuable. However, some people do like more silk than the trade preference, and that is perfectly fine. It's all about what you love.

BTW, my comments are just an FYI, and are not specific to your stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc - seriously cool fluor pics! Love it even more now! So glad you're keeping her.

Mini threadjack:

I'm hypo too. It's such a pain isn't it? Mine isn't controllable but the good news is that if I don't eat I'm ok! If I eat, then I have to eat every 2 hours to avoid an attack. My bloods constantly go down into the 2.something which as you'll know is dreadful. My consultant wanted to put me on some tablets to control it but the side effects are weight gain, spots, hair loss, greasy skin and bloating - can't think of anything more awful! Needless to say, I opted for eating every 2 hours! ;))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
np LD. I eat a mostly protien diet as its the only way I can keep it under control. Granted it allows me to have bacon and stuff which is pretty cool. :naughty:

-A

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian, it's a gorgeous color -- so saturated you can almost touch the color itself. Also love your photo of the beauties together -- your palette is impeccable, m'dear!

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297628232|2850896 said:
np LD. I eat a mostly protien diet as its the only way I can keep it under control. Granted it allows me to have bacon and stuff which is pretty cool. :naughty:

-A

Me too but it's so limiting so I do branch out but then even some fruit and veg will start it off. Bread's an absolute killer. The devil's food! :nono:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1297624211|2850865 said:
Arcadian|1297623091|2850853 said:
Thanks Deb, I would say its definitly NOT orangy. IRL its got a touch of bluishness to it.

[gross_moment]

I'm about to be kinda gross, so sorry in advance for those who are squeamish. This morning as with every morning I drew a little blood. I have to take a blood sugar test couple of times a day everyday (I'm hypoglycemic, thats another thread though) and well, my new little girl was sitting right there and well . :shock:

I had to do it y'all... :tongue: Results is that my blood is bluer than the stone.

So I can't call it blood red at least. :bigsmile:

[/gross_moment]

But you pit this stone against the ruby in your thread and it WOULD look orange!! That ruby is beyond gorgeous. :lickout: too bad its the wrong size for you. (well, and that price too! whoooooO!!! :errrr: )

I really don't know why the silk isn't so prized because it totally amps the color of the stones. I think a little less silk on this stone would have meant a higher price because in certain lights...especially a little sunlight, all the facets disappear and all you see is this crazy delicious glowy color :lickout: so maybe thats the reason why its not as prized.

But that means more for us who like the stuff huh :naughty: :bigsmile:

-A

About silk in stones. Silk, if there's a great deal of it, isn't highly prized in gems like rubies, sapphires, and spinels, but microscopic silk that exists to a degree where the stone shows some crystal, and yet, shows little extinction, is very prized. I puchased some mahenge spinels a while ago that were too silky, and I returned them. My trillion mahenge in the halo has some silk, but it is also very crystal. When you combine that quality with saturated color, the gem is more valuable. However, some people do like more silk than the trade preference, and that is perfectly fine. It's all about what you love.

BTW, my comments are just an FYI, and are not specific to your stone.

TL, thats quite alright, no harm no foul because we all have preferences aside from what may or maynot fall outside whats "ideal" for the gem industry. My stone is pretty silky, which does take away from its higher value no denying that fact. Were it not, I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford it! Talking to Marc he said with less silk it would easily cost 10 times more than I paid, which I believe!

The silkiness is such an interesting phenomenon to me as it shows no crystalline sparkle, but one I really like, but this too; were it pink, even a vivid pink, I would not be so entralled. The body color of the stone has a lot to do what kept me from sending it back.

It just goes to show that there's something out there for everyone, it would be a terrible waste of some lovely gems if we all liked the same stuff. =)

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297635660|2850964 said:
It just goes to show that there's something out there for everyone, it would be a terrible waste of some lovely gems if we all liked the same stuff. =)

-A

That's very true, but often times, we all like the same thing on this board (it's called the "gemstone of the month"), and I often lose out to some very talented Pricescopers with quick button fingers. ;)) :twisted: :mrgreen:

Off topic:
My daughter is an insulin dependent Type 1 diabetic, so I can relate to all the issues with your and LD's hypoglycemia. It's a daily battle. :((

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc,
The saturation is wonderfully strong and I can see it glow from within, probably due to the microscopic inclusions. It looks pinkish in Marc’s pictures and orangish in yours but whatever it looks like IRL, it’s beautiful!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic: Sorry to hear about your daughter TL, :(( I used to miss out on lots of stuff when I was younger (I found out my condition when I was 16!) but now, I really do well with it. hopefully medical technology will come along and wipe all this stuff out.

Back on topic: I am going to do a sort of temporary setting for this stone, just an LOGR for now in yellow gold, and consider getting the setting of my dreams in 2-3 years.

The next thing on my list; something orange (or yellow :naughty: ) It would have been something blue but thats being taken care of by hubby :bigsmile: (I won't say what it is yet but its not a sapphire :bigsmile: )

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results