shape
carat
color
clarity

The Natural Sapphire Company

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
Hello All -

Long time lurker, new member here. I have been enjoying this site for months now and I finally have a question of my own.

Has anyone bought from the Natural Sapphire Company (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/)? If so, could you please offer insight into their products, service, etc. I tried a site search here on PS, but not a lot comes up about their company.

I am considering a sapphire and setting from them (Sapphire is item B454, sorry it won''t let me link to the item). I am not all that knowledgeable about sapphires; if anyone that is could take a look at that one I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chelsea

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Thenaturalsapphirecompany is the consumer website of the old walterarnstein site (which is now for pro's only). I spent alot of time on the old site last year during my search. Communicated via phone and email with Michael Arnstein - a nice guy and well established/known in the industry. However, I ended up buying from www.cherrypicked.com because they had a more impressive sapphire available (this was for an engagement ring) in the size I wanted.

I will add that it is my opinion (perhaps bad memory) that the new consumer site carries a wider range - from low to high quality compared to the old site.

The sapphire you mention looks nice - it can be found via this link. It is difficult to judge from photos on the web

However quality is relative !

Could you tell us what your goals/budget are? Sapphires can be ranked from 1-10. 10 is gem/collector quality. A consumer is extremely lucky to find an 8 or better.

Another example from the same company

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply Bertrand. I had noticed the connections between the Walter Arnstein site and the Michael Arnstein that contacted me from NSC – so they are the same; that also explains why I couldn’t get into the WalterAnrstein site.

My goal is centered around an upgrade e-ring. Last year my husband gave me a beautiful diamond anniversary band as an ann. gift – two rows of shared prong 10-point diamonds in a half eternity style (1.7 tcw). I wear is as my wedding band now. Unfortunately, my original e-ring just doesn’t pair up well with it – it’s a three stone w/a .5 center and .25 sides. A lovely ring – but the two together are off proportion wise.

So, to make a long story short, I am looking for something new. My budget is not more than 4K. So currently I am looking at either a .80 diamond in a pave halo setting or a cushion sapphire in a halo setting. It seems I can get a larger sapphire (mm) for the $ - and the blue will cut the diamond sparkle nicely (I think!). In regards to the sapphire, I like a squarer cushion shape, and a more “electric” blue color (if that makes sense).

Do you have any pointers on what I should look for in a sapphire?

Thank you!

Chelsea

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 2:49:49 PM
Author: Stellablue687

So, to make a long story short, I am looking for something new. My budget is not more than 4K. So currently I am looking at either a .80 diamond in a pave halo setting or a cushion sapphire in a halo setting. It seems I can get a larger sapphire (mm) for the $ - and the blue will cut the diamond sparkle nicely (I think!). In regards to the sapphire, I like a squarer cushion shape, and a more “electric” blue color (if that makes sense).

Do you have any pointers on what I should look for in a sapphire?

Thank you!

Chelsea

Well, color is a very personal choice in a sapphire! Some people like lighter blues - or darker blues, etc.. There is an general industry preference in blue sapphires are outlined here in this GIA article. If you want "electric blue" - you are looking for something very nice. My gals sapphire seems to have a little blue "power plant" in it mostof the time!

Things to look out for in general - pure blues or blues with very slight violet tone, unformity in color and tone throughout the stone, not too many black extinction areas, depth between 60-80%, minimal windows (can see clearly through top of stones in some cuts), and that electric blue you talk about - kinda of "glowing/oozing" color.

Your buget is $4000k for the entire ring? So maybe $2000-2500 for a center stone?

As with some of the diamond nuts - I am partial to quality over size. I am also very biased in favor of fine untreated sapphires in E-rings or other very special "once in a life time" pieces - but that is just me.

You could save 20-40% if you went with heated sapphires instead of the natural ones. This would allow you to get bigger and better color sapphires for your money.

Here is a nice read from someone who knows "a little"
2.gif
more than I do!

and another nice read from someone who knows a little something too!
9.gif

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock

Good pointers – thanks. I certainly know much more about diamonds (mostly thanks to PS) than I do about sapphires – so I’m a little hesitant to go this route. What about certification – is it necessary?

Regarding my budget – if I went with the sapphire I originally asked about (that you so kindly linked) and a setting from Michael Arnstein as well, the total would be well within my budget at approx 2400$. This is the setting (it’s the fifth up from the bottom, item JS196):
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/jSuggest.asp?page=1&stoneId=B454&color=Blue&selSort=&shape=Cushion&js_category=Ring&from1=search

The setting would be modified slightly to allow it to sit flush against my band and set the stone EW - although Michael stated there wouldn’t be any price difference. I''m not sure about the quality of their settings though - I''ve not seen anyone on PS purchase one from them.

I too am partial to quality over size – although I like a good mix of both. I’m still debating this heat thing – you can’t see it, and only I would know…..so why pay extra? And you’re right, I could go bigger and better in color. I’m still not sure what to do......

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Chelsea! What fun for you!

I''m totally biased, of course, but it would be a no brainer for me...I''d take a gorgeous square cushion sapphire any day over a .80 diamond!
3.gif

I have a couple of thoughts... colored stones are so hard to assess through photographs, that it really does serve you well to work with a trusted vendor who can "eyeball" the stones for you.

You might get "more bang for the buck" if you consider sapphires that have been heat treated (not beryilium diffused). They can be every bit as beautiful (often more beautiful) than unheated stones, and cost less.

I''ve heard good things about Michael at the NSC, and I''ve purchased stones from CherryPicked and been very pleased...but I do think they specialize in unheated stones.

The stone you referenced looks lovely, but of course it''s only a picture. I''d be a little concerned that it might be a little too dark, especially if it''s to be mounted in a halo setting. This is the type of thing you''ll want to discuss with the vendor.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted of your progress!
1.gif

widget

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
Thanks Widget!

Do you have any recommended sites for sapphires that have been heat treated?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Stellablue687

What about certification – is it necessary?

I think it''s only necessary if you''re considering a high end, unheated stone. Many might argue that an "in house" cert is worth a lot less than one from a well known, independent lab.

For fun, here are pics of the stone and mounting you''re looking at..

Yum....
3.gif

jiu.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OMG!! That is YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
The heat thing is very much a mind game. If you don't care - then no one else matters (or will know). As I stated I am a little biased in that area - but that is only me. I have seen images of sapphires before and after treatment and those images would have been in "my mind" when looking at her ring if it was treated. Of course it had to be "electric blue" - the untreated state just added to the overall rarity factor I was looking for in her e-ring.

As to wether unheated are better looking - I don't know - I am not an expert, but I think Vincent (a real expert) said it in another thread - to him the best unheated looks better than the best heated.

About certification - at some point (cost wise) it is best to get an AGTA cert (or maybe GIA or AGL)- with untreated stone. However, if you send your sapphire or finsihed ring to a good independent lab/appraiser like Richard Sherwood (SGL) you can count on his report for both insurance and accuracy. I was going to get an AGTA cert for mine but did not have the time to wait 6 weeks. I have both a PGS and SGL cert/report confirming its grading and non-treatment.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve dealt with two other vendors who post here that are great...Michael E and Richard Wise.

I''m sure you''ll get lots of other recommendations soon!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 4:06:45 PM
Author: widget

I''ve dealt with two other vendors who post here that are great...Michael E and Richard Wise.

I''m sure you''ll get lots of other recommendations soon!
I second that.. Talk to MJO too. Richard Homer if you like the look!

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations all - I will definately look into them

And thanks widget for posting those pics - I do just adore that ring
1.gif

Hopefully I will educate myself enough to feel as comfortable with sapphires as I do with diamonds - and can make this purchase. Gemstones just seem so much more subjective.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just in case... naturalsapphirecompany.com has a useful but way too discrete way of showing off a good number of lovely settings. Have you seen them ? It took me a while.

In case you have not, under the pictures of sapphires in the expanded view there is a list of "Jewelry suggestion" - definitely worth a look.

U353_1_th

How large should the sapphire be ? This is 6.2mm color change (U353)

Among the "jewelry suggestions" for it there is this one...

JS204_2_1229200460047PM

Sum total for stone and ring, $3300

And, of course, there is allot to choose from !
5.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t forget that cut can make all the difference in the world to bring out color and sparkle. I, personally, don''t mind heat treatment at all. Plus, I like many other colors than what''s considered premium, so the most important aspect is cut.

I had a really good experience with Barbara Smigel from acstones.com recently. The emphasis of that that vendor is definitely on cut. I found that the pictures on the website didn''t quite do my stone justice, but Barbara was happy to take more for me.

S-3968B.jpg

Here''s a, quoting the website, "Ceylon Blue Sapphire 2.09 ct. 7.8 mm. Round cut. Better than eyeclean with medium to medium dark slightly violetish blue color" from Artistic Colored Stones for $2,508.00. It doesn''t mention it, but I assume it''s heated. If you''re interested, e-mail Barbara from acstones.com and ask her. This one was cut by Ben Kho, one of acstones.com''s feautured cutters. There''s a biography on him on the website.

S-4668B.jpg
Another from acstones.com described as "Ceylon Sapphire (J) 2.78 ct. 7 mm. [Gec: H] Native, round semi-Portuguese style cut. Just short of flawless at 10x this piece has sublime slightly violetish medium to medium dark blue color and excellent brilliance."

Just a couple of ideas...

As mentioned earlier, you might want to check out Michael E. He can custom cut you something really beautiful. I think he has a wide variety of rough in stock and can easily get more. He''s also been known to pick up gems that have a lot of potential (great color and clarity) but an ugly native cut, and then recut them into something really spectacular.

If you like concave cuts, out of course check out
Richard Homer''s creations. Some people like ''em, some people don''t. Definitely a stunning look, though.

Enjoy! This will be so much fun!

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
Val - that''s where I found the setting that widget kindly put up! That function is great - but I agree, way too discrete. They have a lovely selection of settings, they should add more (IMO)
1.gif

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
velouriaL -

I agree about cut. I love the stone you show from ACS, it looks beautiful in the pic. A great suggestion, but I''m looking for a cushion shape though. Richard Homer''s gems are so different and powerful looking - I wonder what they look like in real life. Again though, he doesn''t have many cushion shaped - mostly ovals.

Thanks for your advice. I can see this project is going to take me a while! It will be a fun endeavor though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results