shape
carat
color
clarity

The love affair over and I want to start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gale

Shiny_Rock

The love affair I have had with my local jeweller is, regretably, over. I will NOT be going back. There has been a change in the store. The Front-of-the-Store guy sold his share of the partnership to Designer guy. Now that Front-of-the-Store guy is gone, the experience is not the same. Front-of-the-Store guy never pushed or did (edited to replace Done with did, DUH!) things his way. He listened, and I never experienced one problem. Since Designer guy has taken over things, everything is different. For example, last fall I had a platinum and diamond ring made. I asked for comfort fit and didn't get it. Whay? Because Designer guy did not think it worth the extra expense, so I get half-comfort. The ring is beautiful, but the sharp edges really do irritate me. As does his presumption that I would not pay the difference to get what I want. I should have known not to go back then.

Foolishly, I took my beautiful Richard Homer deep purple amethysts to Designer guy to have him make me a pair of earrings, and his setter broke one of the stones. On the day I went to see the damage to the amethyst, I also wanted to talk to Designer guy about making my wedding ring with the Richard Homer sapphire. I wanted to ask him to come up with the design so I could purchase the melee. I was also willing to pay him, in advance, for designing the ring. Having seen the melee he had to offer in the store, I did not want to purchase from him. Dark, windowed stones were all he had. You would not believe the pushing for the sale. All over a bit of melee. When I told him I did not like what he had to offer and that the stones could not possibly match the brilliance of the sapphire (or the colour for that matter), it was like WW III had started.

It was only then I managed to get a look at the earrings in progress - TOTALLY WRONG. No dangle, wirework not very nice, poorly designed hook and closure. And you would have laughed at the stone he wanted to replace the broken amethyst with. He said - they'll be on different sides of your head - no one will notice. The cut was not concave, and the colour was only slightly more purple than lavender. No one will notice! Ha!

After thinking of this for a while, I have decided it is not in my interest to deal with someone who does not really listen or pay attention to what I want, and what I am ultimately paying for. The guy I use in Toronto is fabulous for straight-forward work, but I am looking for a jeweller that can do something really delicate. Essentially, I'd like the stones set on the diagonal (they are square cushions), with a vine wrapping around the 4 corners, tapering on the final wrap.

If anyone has a recommendation for a jeweller they like, anywhere in Canada or the US, please do let me know. I'd love to have these made sometime this summer, and would like to have time to look at samples of their work.

Thanks for any help oiffered.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that your jeweller has been messing you around. You''d think that they''d be pleased to ind a knowledgeable customer who wants them to make beautiful pieces and is willing to pay for top quality work.

I can''t help you with a local jeweller (I''m in the UK) but I know Michael E does good work if you were willing to send your stones away to be set. He understands coloured stones (he''s a cutter himself).

Good luck.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gale,

Sorry to hear about your lose. From what he sounds like you are much better off without him. I guess it''s back to looking in sleezy back allies and honky tonk bars to find that special someone . Good luck on your quest. I do have some jewlers in NJ if you need help. One is Devon Fine Jewelry in Wyckoff and the other is Arthur Groom and Co. in Ridgewood, NJ. If you want the contact info let me know.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
That''s a great recommendation Bagpuss.

I have been a customer at that store for six years. Two or three times a year I take something in to be made for me. The benchman loves to see me coming, because he gets to make something a bit different than what he normally does. And, the benchman''s work has been fabulous. I really hate to loose this relationship. It was so convenient for me just to pop over there at lunchtime or after work (just three blocks from my office). Until these last few times, things have been wonderful. Since the broken amethyst fiasco, several of my friends have said something about it too - that things just aren''t the same since Front-of-the-Store guy left.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2005 3:35:05 PM
Author: Gale

... the benchman''s work has been fabulous. I really hate to loose this relationship.
Sorry to hear this...

could it be that the "Front - of - Store" guy moved just down the street to a nicer shop ?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Gale:

I too was going to recommend MIcheal E, or how about Richard W? Or you could come to Calgary, and I could drag you around Cowtown, Banff and Lake Louise while my one of my favorite jewellers whipped up something fab for you.....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Canuk-gal! You''ve sold me!

Calgary is fabulous. It has been some time since I visited, 10 years this summer, and it was a very memorable visit. The joy started on Canada Day, and ended a week later. I even managed to see the Calgary Stampede parade and do things like Banff, and Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Jump, and Waterton (is that it?) Lake.

L.O.V.E.D. IT! I was visiting my brother at the time, who lived in Lethbridge and had friends in Calgary. This trip was extra special as it was the last time I had fun with my mother, who I surprised in arriving just before she got there to visit as well. She, unfortunately, died later that year.

I''d love for my company to move there. Alberta is stunning! Wonderful people....Can''t say enough about it.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
MJO - sent you a PM.

Valeria - no he left the jewellery business altogether and does something else now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results