shape
carat
color
clarity

The hunt begins anew: Blue Sapphire or Spinel for e-Ring

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The round sapphire from Facebook weighs 1.06 carats and is 5.5 mm in diameter. It is an eye clean stone and untreated according to the listing.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1439080519|3912622 said:
Please do NOT get a trillion! At least talk to your SO if you are seriously thinking about it. I would say the shape generally is for hard core gem lovers and not for a one ring - e.g. engagement ring - situation unless its the future wearer who wants and chooses it. There is no doubt that beautiful rings can be made with trillions as previously illustrated by Niel and DK, but I would be disappointed if my fiance made that call for me without consulting me first.

I completely agree with Minous and it was with this exact sentiment in mind that I posted the round sapphire.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1439080519|3912622 said:
Please do NOT get a trillion! At least talk to your SO if you are seriously thinking about it. I would say the shape generally is for hard core gem lovers and not for a one ring - e.g. engagement ring - situation unless its the future wearer who wants and chooses it. There is no doubt that beautiful rings can be made with trillions as previously illustrated by Niel and DK, but I would be disappointed if my fiance made that call for me without consulting me first.
Yes, a trillion isn't for everyone and one certainly shouldn't surprise someone with a trillion unless an appreciation for unique shapes was expressed. The way he makes it seem is that she would appreciate a unique cut, so I wouldn't say "don't buy it!" But I would say only buy it if she in fact is looking for unique.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Keep the commentary coming! Such wisdom here!

So far, I've gone ahead and ordered the apex round to take a closer look. I've also made an offer on the Jeff Davies cushion and contacted Yvonne, who happens to be at a gem show, who will be looking for stones. Richard Homer is out of town for a week, so I may not have time to look at his stones in person. Tonight, I will try to feel out my SO about trillions and other considerations. I am confident something great will pan out!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimshotsnap|1439081914|3912631 said:
Keep the commentary coming! Such wisdom here!

So far, I've gone ahead and ordered the apex round to take a closer look. I've also made an offer on the Jeff Davies cushion and contacted Yvonne, who happens to be at a gem show, who will be looking for stones. Richard Homer is out of town for a week, so I may not have time to look at his stones in person. Tonight, I will try to feel out my SO about trillions and other considerations. I am confident something great will pan out!

Well great I think youre right on track. I think you've got a great attitude for having to do a 180 turn from alexandrite

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gingercurls|1439080817|3912623 said:
The round sapphire from Facebook weighs 1.06 carats and is 5.5 mm in diameter. It is an eye clean stone and untreated according to the listing.
Thank you, ginger, for the info. Based on the price, I was guessing it was about that, but was hoping, for rimshot, that it faces up somewhat larger.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Thanks, all, for your responses! A few updates.

I spoke with my SO to get a better understanding of her preferences. It turns out she likes very deep (borderline dark) sapphires. (And the others I'd been seriously considering, including the Jeff Davies cushion sapphire, she didn't like!) Surprisingly, she said she really, really liked the blue spinel from Jeff Davies, so I asked if I could buy it instead. He indicated that the stone might already be sold, but it was still listed on eBay, so I went ahead and bought it anyway. After my last conversation with my SO, I was feeling rather desperate... I hope I didn't annoy Jeff or others by doing that. It probably won't pan out.

Below are a few stones she said she likes. I learned that she doesn't want a trillion or a color change or a Richard Homer/concave stone. I divulged my whole alexandrite effort, and I think she is a little disappointed that didn't work out. But she understands and I suppose that's still a possibility for when I'm a bazillionaire. Stones she likes:

I found one on Gemfix that seems pretty close, so I just ordered it, fourth row down, on the right:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

I also found this one from AGS. Looks nice, but a bit on the pricey side, and I'm reluctant at this point to order another stone from Thailand. I just shipped back my first ebay alexandrite and it cost me almost $100. Transaction (slash ignorance) costs are eating me alive!

http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphire-1.29-carats.html-1

This is definitely the most difficult purchase of my life. Not sure what I would have done without you all!

_____________2015-08-09_1.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rimshot: I totally applaud your efforts and enthusiasm. You have worked so hard. You are all in, no holds barred. I respect your approach as you are clearly going all out. I wish I had other ideas for you. As I think of more, I will absolutely post them. By any chance did you get any feedback on shape, or was it too hard to bring that up?

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Minous, you have been so helpful! Your knowledge inspires me.

For shape, I think we are limited to round, oval, and cushion. Classic shapes.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might have asked this before but are you any where close to a city for gem shows? They come with regularity in most parts of the U.S. Just in case there is one coming up, google "Intergem" and "Gemfaire" and see what shows up for your area. They are different entities with different shows. There are also many other shows sponsored by local gem and mineralogical societies and so forth, so just noodling around on the internet may turn up something unexpected but helpful.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Interestingly, there is a Gem Faire show in my vicinity next weekend! (I live in the Bay Area; the show is in Sacramento, about a 90 minute drive). Do you think it would be worth it? I went to a different gem show a few weeks ago, drove two hours, and it was all garbage. But if Gem Faire gets high marks, I'd definitely be willing to drive. I really want to nail this down so I can get on with the rest of my life! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now I'm trying to understand the color parameters a bit more. If this were in your size range (I think its probably bigger than you want), is this color based on the photos, borderline dark in tone, blue with a green modifier and some grey anything that would appeal to her?

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/4-dot-12ct-natural-blue-sri-lankan-spinel-video

Is this too dark? Being sold by a PSer who sells on a regular basis - a known quantity in other words. If it appeals, you could see if she would consider a return period:
http://diamondbistro.com/category/229/Sapphire/listings/43813/AGL-155-Carat-Velvety-Royal-Blue-Sapphire-Round.html

Another one:
http://diamondbistro.com/category/229/Sapphire/listings/42993/128-ct-Gemfix-Precision-Cut-Blue-Oval-Sapphire.html

What about 1st row, right, and then 4th row left?

http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, didn't know you live here - so do I! I don't honestly know about that Gemfaire - many of them are focused on beads. Let me go look it up and I'll see if I can suss anything out. Out of curiosity, was the one you attended an Intergem? I *think* they have a big one coming up around labor day if that's not too late?

ETA: I don't know about the Sacto show - they have little to no info on the vendors which makes me think it might be a small one.

E2TA: this is a big one with a lot of gemstone dealers: http://www.intergem.com/shows/upcoming-shows/san-mateo-ca-september-11-13

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Small world! I leave for my proposal trip on September 17th. So, unfortunately the San Mateo show will be too late (and this is part of the reason I am feeling a sense of urgency!)

Of the stones you posted, I do think she would love the color of the spinel, though you're right it's too big. The next two stones, I'd say the first one is just slightly too dark and the second just slightly too light. If they had a baby, it would be perfect :) I've been trading emails with Roger Dery about the stone 5th down on the right. Blown up photos show inclusions (you can see them on the small photo too, on the edge at 4 o'clock). But it is priced accordingly. I may inquire about a couple others from him as you've pointed out!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is a tad over at 2850 but I'm not familiar with making offers to Gary, maybe he'll take one??

screenshot_2015-08-09-14-59-36_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one. 1700 ish? Master cut Gems.

26454.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimshotsnap|1439144676|3912770 said:
Small world! I leave for my proposal trip on September 17th. So, unfortunately the San Mateo show will be too late (and this is part of the reason I am feeling a sense of urgency!)

Of the stones you posted, I do think she would love the color of the spinel, though you're right it's too big. The next two stones, I'd say the first one is just slightly too dark and the second just slightly too light. If they had a baby, it would be perfect :) I've been trading emails with Roger Dery about the stone 5th down on the right. Blown up photos show inclusions (you can see them on the small photo too, on the edge at 4 o'clock). But it is priced accordingly. I may inquire about a couple others from him as you've pointed out!

I really looove the color of that roger dery stone, even if its slightly included.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Wow, apparently I missed an entire section on the Mastercut gems website! I was looking under "ruby and sapphire," but there is another Sri Lanka tab. Thanks for the tip!

By now I have looked through every dealer listed on the sticky. At least twice. We've got to be closing in on something...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search, and I hope you'll find a suitable stone soon.

DK :))

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It might be cutting it a bit close for your proposal timeline, but this show (http://www.sfgemshow.org/) is in SF in two weeks. It might not be practical as a main shopping trip, but maybe as an extra backup source?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1439159316|3912807 said:
It might be cutting it a bit close for your proposal timeline, but this show (http://www.sfgemshow.org/) is in SF in two weeks. It might not be practical as a main shopping trip, but maybe as an extra backup source?

I would not count on seeing anything you would want for an ER at this show, unfortunately.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
I think we're down to the final three.

After begging Jeff Davis to sell me his blue spinel and offering to pay full asking price, he accepted :) I'm pretty excited for that since it's the one stone my girlfriend say that made her eyes go big. I don't have a sense of how much this stone should cost: I know they are rare (haven't seen others on the market), but as a secondary consideration, I hope I didn't overpay.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371371219856?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Second, I have this one coming from Gemfix: Fourth row, on the right side. Maybe a bit dark for some tastes, but up my SO's alley:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

Lastly, I have this one coming from Roger at Spectral Gems. It is not "top color," but again in a tone my girlfriend really likes. It also has more visible inclusions, which Roger says are hard to see with the naked eye. It is priced well below the others at around $800 for 1.17 cts.

Hopefully, there will be at least one winner among these. There are about three others I've come across that I would look at if none of these pan out, so I do have other options, but it would be great if I could keep my meeting with my jeweler this Saturday and actually begin working on the ring itself.

Getting there! Would be interested in any comments on the above stones. I will definitely post pictures and additional feedback as they arrive.

screen_shot_2015-08-09_at_9.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done! At this point, I don't have much to add other than what is generally recognized about the various vendor's photos (sometimes the stones from Jeff Davies and Gemfix are darker in reality than in their photos), but what's going to help you is just seeing them. So when they arrive:

1) trust your impressions - try to remember what your initial reaction is for each stone. Without overanalyzing it, you are looking for the one(s) for which your immediate visceral reaction is "Yes!!" :love:

2) look at them over the course of a few days in different lighting situations (check them out in morning, afternoon and evening daylight, fluorescent and incandescent) and at different times of day.

3) check them for inclusions, windows and extinction. If any of them have a window, put them on your hand and over a setting and see if the window is as noticeable or whether it closes up.

I think you are really, really close!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
For the Spinel it should be a YEEEEEESSSSS - Luc Yen is very rare and expensive but 1,48 ct for this price should have a very high quality!

And I hope it is - was on my wishlist....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue spinels are typically very shifty and can gray out quite a bit but hopefully this one will be different. It has good potential so as advised, observe the behaviour of all the stone under various lights to decide which one is the keeper.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy you have it narrowed down to the final three! I am hopeful that one of these will be the one! I personally ADORE the color of the Spinel, but as others have said you need to view it in tons of lighting to make sure it doesn't go grey in some lights. But the other 2 are gorgeous as well--not too dark IMHO, I love deep colored stones :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results