carat
color
clarity

The Gemstone Forecaster Autumn newsletter

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Yesterday, I read this newsletter and of course looked at Robert Genis's price guide. (www.preciousgemstones.com) It appears that in colored gemstones rubies have the top cost to consumers. A surprise to me, was how much emeralds have increased in price. They exceed sapphires.

But, the biggest surprise is that Mr. Genis says diamond prices have been going down since 2011. If you look at his charts for diamond pricing, people on pricescope are paying well above the prices on his charts. He refers to Rappaport, so I am making the assumption he uses that in his calculations. Of course there is a disclaimer that says people may pay more for a well cut diamond .

I thought prices on the internet were supposed to be less. I think its now too easy for vendors to compare prices with each other, where an excellent cut and color stone is not much more than an average stone. So, the advantage of going to the internet to buy, isn't that great anymore. In other industries , clothing for example, prices are not up astronomically for a winter coat or hat, just because its winter, Some consumers wanted sapphire rings after Kate Middleton received Dianas ring, and suddenly prices went up. Perhaps we had an unusual opportunity these past few yrs, but I think the time has passed to only think of the internet for deals.

I also do not believe all the talk of razar thin margins for dealers, especially for diamonds. Are you now paying too much for an excellent ideal cut diamond? I personally think 9,000 for a carat diamond is out of it.

This is my gripe of the day.

Annette

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
A wise PSer once had the tagline "a deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results