shape
carat
color
clarity

The end of Colored Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just got this email, and thought some here would be interested.

Dear Colored Stone Advertiser,

After lengthy consideration, we have decided to cease publication of Colored Stone magazine. The final issue of the bimonthly, international trade magazine for the colored gemstone industry will be the January 2010 issue.

The decision to stop publication of the magazine and its website is driven entirely by the economy. The gem and jewelry market has been impacted by the global recession more severely than any of our other categories, and this economic market will not support our business expectations.

With this move, Editor David Federman will leave Interweave. We''re proud of what David Federman and his team have accomplished over the last two years and wish him well. Managing Editor, Karla Rosenbusch, will remain with Interweave and will continue to work on the Tucson Show Guide as well as a number of other properties in Interweave’s Jewelry group.

Making this move allows us to better focus on building and growing the brands that remain in our portfolio and making the best use of the skills and talents of our staff.

Best regards,
David

David Pyle
VP/Division Publisher for Art, Jewelry, and Yarn
Interweave

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gene.

So, I guess they decided to also discontinue the web only format they were going to go to, also.

Darn, I liked that magazine.

I hope they refund the remaining portion to subscribers. I have over a year left on it and it was not an inexpensive magazine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 6:42:28 PM
Author:PrecisionGem
I just got this email, and thought some here would be interested.

Dear Colored Stone Advertiser,

After lengthy consideration, we have decided to cease publication of Colored Stone magazine. The final issue of the bimonthly, international trade magazine for the colored gemstone industry will be the January 2010 issue.

The decision to stop publication of the magazine and its website is driven entirely by the economy. The gem and jewelry market has been impacted by the global recession more severely than any of our other categories, and this economic market will not support our business expectations.

With this move, Editor David Federman will leave Interweave. We''re proud of what David Federman and his team have accomplished over the last two years and wish him well. Managing Editor, Karla Rosenbusch, will remain with Interweave and will continue to work on the Tucson Show Guide as well as a number of other properties in Interweave’s Jewelry group.

Making this move allows us to better focus on building and growing the brands that remain in our portfolio and making the best use of the skills and talents of our staff.

Best regards,
David

David Pyle
VP/Division Publisher for Art, Jewelry, and Yarn
Interweave
That''s too bad. Modern Jeweler also has decided to end it''s paper copies, and is only e-copy now. Is Lapidary Journal also affected? I haven''t heard anything about that.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I actually quit buying Colored Stone a year or so ago. It just got so darn thin, there was hardly anything in it except adds. Several years ago, the magazine was 2 or 3 times thicker, plus it seemed to be geared more to finished jewelry lately, rather than stones.

The website was the big collecting pot for the gemshows, so I wonder where all that information will end up.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
It was a good magazine at one time. David Federman tried to inject some new editorial energy by engaging in controversy, but I think the magazine lost some credibility when he got on the wrong side of the paraiba tourmaline debate. I think running a gemstone magazine is probably a marginal business at the best of times, and the tough economic climate finished them off. It''s a pity really.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is sad although understandable that a gemstone related magazine is going to experience low readership in today’s tough times, more so when the subscription is not expensive to begin with.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The annual subscription was only $29.95. I think it was the dearth of advertising revenue that killed them, not the lack of reader interest.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2009 8:02:33 AM
Author: morecarats
The annual subscription was only $29.95. I think it was the dearth of advertising revenue that killed them, not the lack of reader interest.

I think that''s part of the reason. Dead tree journalism is on the way out across the board and there are many causes, not the least being current economics. Major newspapers are folding almost daily and even Editor & Publisher, the 100+ year old newspaper trade organ, ironically announced yesterday it''s ceasing publication.

Apart from the economic downturn, one of the major reasons is the internet. Paper publications in general have failed to adapt to the new reality. A second is that most people no longer read anything much longer than a paragraph or two. "Sound-bite" attention spans are extremely short and articles that deal with complex subjects have very limited readerships. People have become attuned to visual presentations, texting and near-instant gratification.

Interweave failed to identify a specific target readership and go after it. The appointment of Federman as editor was the kiss of death in my opinion. He''s always been a "puff-piece" editor, depending on a few "old faithful" article sources, rewarding them with what is essentially free advertising (not an unusual ploy in gem industry publications I might add; it''s often difficult to distinguish the articles from the advertising.) Federman takes the practice to nearly an art form. That creates hostility from advertisers who aren''t so favored.

I fully agree with your point about Federman choosing the wrong side in the "andesine wars." First, editors shouldn''t pick "sides." Their job is to present the arguments as clearly, fairly and completely as possible, then let readers make up their own minds. But his need to be a controversial "rainmaker" to stimulate circulation got him into trouble. That lack of objectivity really hurt the magazine''s credibility in my opinion. It alienated a great many potential advertisers and allies.

Too bad. But it''s probably "creative destruction" and a new publication, paper or virtual, will move into to the "ecological niche" left by Colored Stone.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results