shape
carat
color
clarity

The CS Setting Help Thread

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that I have needed help, but didn't want to make a whole thread for it! So please post projects you'd like help on. And feel free to post inspiration pictures as well!

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm sure I'll have things to add here in time. I've only attempted a couple of settings but both have went wrong in some way. I hope I can become more confident about what will and won't work once I've had some success! :knockout:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll be back in a bit. I'm a mess. I need help. Always. :loopy:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I just purchased a teardrop pendant from LOGR, 7 by 11 mm. First, how much can I deviate from those dimensions when setting a stone? Second, I'm thinking about an Apatite-- I love the color and know I wouldn't attempt a ring with that stone. I have heard its very hard to set. Besides telling the jeweler not to subject the stone to heat, replate the metal, or put in an ultrasonic cleaner, what else do I need to beware of??

Thanks so much, what a great thread, you may soon be tired of me!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an 8x11 pear that fit into one of the LOGR 7x11 settings. I think you can deviate up to a mm width wise, but maybe half a mm length wise.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL! Hopefully I'll be less question posts and more picture posts soon!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread. :D

I am waiting for the post to arrive as I type, with my BB chrome tourmaline. I will definitely need some advice regarding setting it! So completely new at this....

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

The one problem I've had which is pretty consistent is when a setting has a closed basket. I have 2 settings like this; one is a round, the other a cushion. Both were pretty tight fits because of the stone depth. The cushion (the one I got from Gene) is an 8mm stone, but is in a 9mm setting. The other is a round which is 7mm but in 7.5mm setting.

If anyone ever gets those types of settings, always take into account how much depth you will need for your stone.

-A

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a setting for my 5.7x5.7mm princess topaz. I love halos for colored stones but seems all inexpensive halo diamond settings have diamonds on the shank, as well, which sometimes rubs me the wrong way (literally) so am hoping to find one where the shank can be made plain WG, or may have to go custom. Checking into options with Daniel M. Open to other ideas. =)

K9

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1298930713|2861487 said:
I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a setting for my 5.7x5.7mm princess topaz. I love halos for colored stones but seems all inexpensive halo diamond settings have diamonds on the shank, as well, which sometimes rubs me the wrong way (literally) so am hoping to find one where the shank can be made plain WG, or may have to go custom. Checking into options with Daniel M. Open to other ideas. =)

In my scouring recently for semi-mounts I've noticed for sure that jewelryhoo (and perhaps some others) offers halos with plain bands. Something to consider.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my yellow chrysoberyl from Barry
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-chrysoberyl-from-barry.149856/?hilit=round%20yellow%20chrysoberyl']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-chrysoberyl-from-barry.149856/?hilit=round%20yellow%20chrysoberyl[/URL]

I'd originally planned on putting it in a two tone semi bezel-similar to the Mark Schneider one. Then I was going to do something a little funky, a two tone version of the Maevona semi bezel. I thought it would be neat b/c of the shank being so different, and the semi bezel has the little space in it.

Then I thought maybe I didn't want to cover up so much of the chryso and wanted to do a more open setting..it's such a pretty yellow. I thought about Freke's Big Blue setting, and also a crimped prong setting I found on here, and a scalloped metal halo like the Gabbie. Then I thought I wanted it to have a more unique/ornate setting to really be..eye catching I guess, so I thought about doing something like Cellentani's ring. Depending on what setting I manage to decide on, it'll either be a two tone or all yg.

Then..I don't know, I did the hokey pokey and turned myself around.

Do any that I've considered jump out more than others? Any other thoughts/ideas to help me make up my mind?

cellsring2.jpg

BridalCanvasDotCom_8483(2).jpg

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
packrat-

What kind of finger coverage are you hoping for/ what size finger are you going to wear the ring on?

The scalloped halo (do you know the vendor?) and the two tone modified bezel are equally pretty, but it seems like the scalloped halo would offer more finger coverage, if that is what you're after.

Just my thoughts.

Take care!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread, I will have to keep an eye on it, I am still looking for a cheap gold setting for my 6.8mm tourmaline, it is round and setting are so darned expensive right now....dont want silver....but might have to do it anyway :wink2:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
packrat ~

I really love the Gabbie setting and I think that your gem would look lovely in it. I also think Cellentani's setting is out of this world; something to consider. Do you know where she got it? I wouldn't mind something similar someday. :)

~ faegrace

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'll play! I want to make a 3-stone CS ring and need help with stone size/proportions. I wear a size 7. I have in mind a large center stone with either trillion or pear side stones. So...I'm thinking a 7-8mm center stone, but don't know about what I'll need for the sides. Is the center too large?

Suggestions..does anyone have a ring like this that can give me sizes on their stones? I could go with an oval in the center too.

Colors...probably orange darker center with lighter orange sides (spesses likely), or with bright pink sides (garnet or spinel likely).

Laura

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I just received the chrome in the mail. It is very sparkly and it is definitely a medium dark green. (7.3mm round brilliant)

I tried it against 18K yellow and white gold. I am not really a yellow gold gal BUT I think it will look best in YG. I also think due to it's darker color, it needs as much light as possible and possibly (big shock!) some diamonds. Any ideas how to accomplish this? I am very wary of LOGR after reading threads about upgrades/gray diamonds and exact measurements, etc. This is only the second loose gem I have ever puchased and I am actually feeling a little uneasy about the process. It IS supposed to be fun, right...?

Thank you ~
faegrace

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! In the collage, there is a pic of JbEG Gabbie diamond halo, the one that is scalloped at the prongs, and then there's a pic of a plain metal halo. I'd thought to do a plain metal halo, but pinched in at the prongs like the JbEG Gabbie, so a combination of those two. Cellentani's I think would give the most coverage. Coverage isn't necessarily the most important..it's 7.2mm and my finger is about 4.5 or so, so I think even w/a plain 4 prong solitaire setting it would be ok. I will be able to wear it on both ring fingers..will be a little tighter on the left but still fit fine. My concerns are, covering too much of the stone in a semi bezel, and the stone not being yellow enough to stand on its own in a "kapow" setting like Cell's..I'd do a two tone w/either of those settings, so the yellow gold would back up the chryso, but..I don't want it to get lost or overpowered in whatever it is set in.

Freke's Big Blue is what I have earmarked for my lavender gray spinel, so I could probably take that one off the table. Of the semi bezels..I *think* I'd prefer the Maevona b/c it's a bit different than just a regular semi bezel. So..hmm..the wheels are turning..

Fae, a local jeweler made Cell's ring for her! It's fabulous isn't it?? On your chrome, do you want side diamonds, or pave in the shank? A halo?

Largosmom, Sally is working on a three stone for me--mine are all supernovas tho. Are you wanting to do round center or?? My center is about 8x6 and sides just under 7x5 ( all stones set n/s tho) and finger size 6. I'd planned originally on doing them e/w and they'd have been about 22mm long that way..I think I'd have been ok but decided not to take the chance of it being too long side to side. If you had a 7-8mm center and the sides were about 6-7mm wide/long, I bet you'd be just fine-the ring will be up off the finger so you do kind of gain a little room. I think an all orange ring would be so pretty!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so the whole reason for starting this thread (but not wanting a thread for it by itself) is that I have no idea how to set this:

I want big and ornate, likely with diamonds. For instance, I've thought of using Cellentani's ering setting as inspiration. Definitely halo-esque, but nothing boring...I want more than strips of diamonds around the edges. BLING BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!

Seafoam4.JPG

0266 seafoam tourmaline.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can *totally* see that in something like Cell's ring, Freke. The curves of the crescents would go nicely around the curved corners of the cushion.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
[wolf whistle] That is surely a pretty pretty stone! Look at those arrows! I can totally see it in something a bit more ornate than you usually wear.

Whoops! forgot to say that I was thinking about a round, oval, or cushion center stone for my three stone ring. I want a lot of finger coverage, I guess I need to try some things on and see what fits and how wide I can go and still have comfort.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Largosmom|1298951140|2861775 said:
[wolf whistle] That is surely a pretty pretty stone! Look at those arrows! I can totally see it in something a bit more ornate than you usually wear.

Whoops! forgot to say that I was thinking about a round, oval, or cushion center stone for my three stone ring. I want a lot of finger coverage, I guess I need to try some things on and see what fits and how wide I can go and still have comfort.
I vote oval!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote oval too..supernova would be loooovely.

Found another semi bezel I like..one I'd liked when I first came here and saw it a couple years ago and had forgotten about it. Gah.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You know, I'm usually a person who knows exactly how to set a stone even before I receive it. But my tsavorite from Gene has me stumped.

5.1x5.9mm tsavorite cushion:
1053.jpg

I was thinking of going with something like this:
jktleafring1.jpg

..but probably with prongs as opposed to a bezel. Also, as much as I love working with Julia, her wait times and prices are prohibitive, so I'd probably go with Daniel M or maybe Sally.

Also, what color gold would you go with? I hardly ever wear yellow gold, so I'd probably do the shank in silver. The prongs and leaf accents could be yellow gold, maybe...?

Any other design ideas that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? I like simple, organic designs, and I'm not a big fan of halos or multiple stones.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if anyone else is a fan but I love Cathy Waterman. I love this ring but would change the prongs to showcase the stone better.

r-1537.ku-foto-e1285203048990.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb - I adore that setting from JKT, but agree that pricing and wait can be a drag.

I've not worked direct with Sally before, but she has done some really great bezels and I think it might be worth checking out.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/35851559

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
more Cathy Waterman. Anyone know someone who can replicate or riff off of theses?

YLANG-23-Dallas-Designer_580B3BA5.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
k9muttlover|1298931353|2861495 said:
rubybeth|1298930713|2861487 said:

In my scouring recently for semi-mounts I've noticed for sure that jewelryhoo (and perhaps some others) offers halos with plain bands. Something to consider.

Woo! Thanks for the tip. Going to message them today. :bigsmile:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1298957342|2861840 said:
I don't know if anyone else is a fan but I love Cathy Waterman. I love this ring but would change the prongs to showcase the stone better.

OOOO very pretty! I do love that setting! do you have a website for it?

-A

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jstar, I like that setting a lot and think it would look great w/your stone! Isn't she scheduling time for next year right now? I don't know that I'd want to wait that long..I'd probably check w/someone else.

Treenbean, I looked at Cathy Waterman's site last night..very pretty things there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results