shape
carat
color
clarity

The CS Setting Help Thread

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
suchende, Arcadian, tourmaline_lover: thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, the setting just really isn't me and while I love the stone, I have yet to wear that ring once. I just think by resetting it, I'll actually wear it as a cocktail ring.

I will certainly look around etsy and will check out mastergoldcraft today. Thanks for the tip. I agree most settings tend to be pricier than what I want to spend right now.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
TL and Arcadian: Thanks for your reply on the LOGR setting. This is my first time trying to set a stone in a semi-mount, so your help is much appreciated.

I emailed LOGR about the size of that setting and the quote for upgrade; however, I later on found another setting at Lanbo, which I like better. I've been exchanging emails with Lanbo. Lanbo provides free mounting service, however, the idea of sending my "precious" stone over to them sounds quite scary to me. Have anyone ever done that?

Also, how much is the typical charge for setting a stone in semi-mount in US? Thanks a lot for the information.

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
Weird question but since this is the setting help thread, I hope I'm at the right place!

This is the first piece of jewelry my hubby actually gave to me. He gave it to me during my birthday when we were still dating :love:
It's an 18k rose gold butterfly ring with 6 tiny tiny diamonds in the center. While I'm not crazy about the diamonds (they're very small, but I don't really like diamonds in general), I love love love the ring, and it has lots of sentimental value to me. He actually "proposed" with this ring, since we couldn't afford an e-ring back then (hence mine is being made by DanielM now).

My question is, I would love to have this ring's diamonds taken out and be reset with another single coloured gem in the future. Do you PSers think it's possible? I've not decided on what to have set in place of the diamonds, so I'm open to suggestions if resetting it is actually possible!

Finger 1.jpg

Back View.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Atwater I know people have sent stones to Sally on etsy, but not to Lanbo.

My suggestion is to make friends with a small jeweler in your area that also does repairs. I find those are the best places to go for setting jobs. The one I go starts varies a bit by what type of stone and setting it is, but generally charges about 45US to set a stone. Just remember that every store has its own setting policies.

@tefutefu I think it could be done with a very experienced goldsmith. Around pricescope, Michael E is very talented and does make rings, but I don't know if he does reworks. It dosen't hurt to ask. You may also want to look around in your area.

-A

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1301058245|2879901 said:
@tefutefu I think it could be done with a very experienced goldsmith. Around pricescope, Michael E is very talented and does make rings, but I don't know if he does reworks. It dosen't hurt to ask. You may also want to look around in your area.

-A

I'm pretty sure DanielM has done some reworks, too (like making earrings into rings or something).

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
Thanks Arcadian and lavatea!

I'll try sending the photos to MichaelE and/or DanielM and see what they have to say!
I've tried asking jewelry shops in my area but I can only find branch stores...
They either said "it's impossible" or "it's too expensive, you're better off with a new ring" and proceed to show me more rings :nono:
I live in a small town in Japan btw :lol:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hello there, Everyone ~

If you could set this any way (and assuming you wanted to set it!), what would you do?

Spessartite - Antique Round @ 7mm, 2.05 carats

~ faegrace

My%20First%20Spess.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1301238064|2881136 said:
Hello there, Everyone ~

If you could set this any way (and assuming you wanted to set it!), what would you do?

Spessartite - Antique Round @ 7mm, 2.05 carats

~ faegrace

My%20First%20Spess.jpg

Well, what do you like, modern, blingy, antique, etc. . . ?

I would put it in high karat yellow gold to downplay any brown.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
TL ~

Thank you for responding. I am completely open to suggestion. :) I am betting it won't have much brown IRL, but we'll see. Big thanks again!

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1301240040|2881156 said:
TL ~

Thank you for responding. I am completely open to suggestion. :) I am betting it won't have much brown IRL, but we'll see. Big thanks again!

~ faegrace

To be honest, I do see brown in the photo, but let's hope otherwise.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
I do too, TL, but I don't think it will be enough to bother me since I am not after the soda pop color. (I did return the peridot from GL; it had a smallish window that would've driven me crazy. What I learned from that is that cut matters to me more than I thought. Who would've thought?) Anyway, thanks for the gold suggestion. I will certainly keep that in mind. :)

oodles of thanks ~
faegrace

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
tefutefu|1301057073|2879891 said:
Weird question but since this is the setting help thread, I hope I'm at the right place!

This is the first piece of jewelry my hubby actually gave to me. He gave it to me during my birthday when we were still dating :love:
It's an 18k rose gold butterfly ring with 6 tiny tiny diamonds in the center. While I'm not crazy about the diamonds (they're very small, but I don't really like diamonds in general), I love love love the ring, and it has lots of sentimental value to me. He actually "proposed" with this ring, since we couldn't afford an e-ring back then (hence mine is being made by DanielM now).

My question is, I would love to have this ring's diamonds taken out and be reset with another single coloured gem in the future. Do you PSers think it's possible? I've not decided on what to have set in place of the diamonds, so I'm open to suggestions if resetting it is actually possible!

It should be possible to take the stones out and might be possible to replace it with one...but I'm not a benchperson so I'm not 100% sure but I think the ring is super cute. Even though the diamonds are small, I'd say keep them for sentimental value :) You could use them in a ring for your daughter....(if you have one)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Popping into this thread because DH gave me the go ahead to get quotes for setting some of the nicer stones I've had lying around. I think I'm going to ask DanielM, because I love all the examples of his work I've seen so far.

Question 1: This is ForteKitty's amethyst set in a silver bezel ring setting:
file.jpg

I would like to set the white topaz asscher on the left in this photo in a similar setting, but with milgraining. Alternatively, I'd set it in a U-prong type setting (with double prongs, probably more claw than rounded). What do you guys think would look better? The topaz is 7mm.

IMG_3362.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Question 2: I also have an asscher sunstone, 10mm, that is begging to be set in a pendant. I'm thinking kite set, with rose gold claw prongs? It would be nice to have an interesting openwork gallery/basket. Anyone have thoughts on that? Thanks!

IMG_3399.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1301240040|2881156 said:
TL ~

~ faegrace

Each stone (at least to me) has its own personality aside from color which is what I use when I determine how to set something. I can see it in a very contemporary setting as well as something quite art deco. I don't see this stone as being in a traditional type setting.... but then again, its only the opinion of crazy arse Arc :lol: *take it with a grain of salt in other words*

I would suggest seeing it in person first before deciding on what color gold. Ok granted, I can't see that going into rose gold :lol: But base how what you set it in based on what you like. Maybe a yellow gold head would suffice instead of an all yellow gold setting so you get the best of both worlds so to speak.

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Arcadian :wavey:

Thank you for the input. I hear you about each stone's personality or essence, so to speak. If you see a pic of an art deco example I would :love: to see it! I have up to two more weeks to wait, just for the stone, and more time after until I could set it but I am itching for a creative use of my limited spare time. Ha!

~ faegrace

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
PS

I just received the spessartite in the mail and I am actually teary. OMG, it is exquisite! I may be a newbie but I have two other gems and I did not feel this when I opened them. Incredible.

~ faegrace

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm allergic to the nickel alloy in my 14k gold setting from Jewelryhoo. I bought it in 2009 as a graduation ring and still love the setting, so I asked them about making it in 18k. Lee wrote they can do it for $320, but I feel kind of dumb buying the same setting twice. What would you do? Same setting or go for something new?

This is the setting I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280647486503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@faegrace ok with a description like that, you KNOW we have to see this right?? :naughty: When you have that type of feeling when seeing your stone, you know it was the right choice for you.

@rubybeth: OMG, I'm sorry to hear that. ;( I can wear 14K gold on my hands but not in my ears strangely enough. I also can't do SS in my ears either. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you but I certain can feel your pain!! I certainly hope someone sees your question and can help.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1301337424|2881965 said:
I think I'm allergic to the nickel alloy in my 14k gold setting from Jewelryhoo. I bought it in 2009 as a graduation ring and still love the setting, so I asked them about making it in 18k. Lee wrote they can do it for $320, but I feel kind of dumb buying the same setting twice. What would you do? Same setting or go for something new?

This is the setting I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280647486503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you are allegic to the nickle in the alloy, then it is probably best for you to avoid 18K white gold as well. Yellow gold and platinum is probably going to be less reactive to your skin type.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
faegrace|1301336628|2881953 said:
PS

I just received the spessartite in the mail and I am actually teary. OMG, it is exquisite! I may be a newbie but I have two other gems and I did not feel this when I opened them. Incredible.

~ faegrace

Where are the pictures? Can't wait to see!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1301340384|2881996 said:

If you are allegic to the nickle in the alloy, then it is probably best for you to avoid 18K white gold as well. Yellow gold and platinum is probably going to be less reactive to your skin type.

I would think that, too, except that my e-ring and wedding band are 18k, as are the posts for my pearl earrings, and I have no problem with them. My 'allergy' is not the typical nickel allergy, though. I have a severe form of eczema (yuck :knockout:) that seems to pop up wherever I wear that ring (was wearing it as my e-ring for a bit and got the tell-tale reaction on my left ring finger). I have to be careful and dry my hands thoroughly, especially under rings. Why, oh why, do I have to love rings so much!? :rolleyes:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1301340384|2881996 said:

I would go with a platinum/irridum alloy. There are some specialized gold alloys that do not contain nickel, so you might want to research that if you want gold.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
mscushion|1300960892|2878770 said:
suchende, Arcadian, tourmaline_lover: thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately, the setting just really isn't me and while I love the stone, I have yet to wear that ring once. I just think by resetting it, I'll actually wear it as a cocktail ring.

I will certainly look around etsy and will check out mastergoldcraft today. Thanks for the tip. I agree most settings tend to be pricier than what I want to spend right now.
I just placed an order with DanielM for a WG solitaire setting for my grandma's stone. Thanks for the help on this thread. The stone will get worn a lot more in the future in its new setting. Will post pics when I get it back. How long do you think I should expect the turnaround to be for a DanielM project?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie|1301265606|2881390 said:
Popping into this thread because DH gave me the go ahead to get quotes for setting some of the nicer stones I've had lying around. I think I'm going to ask DanielM, because I love all the examples of his work I've seen so far.

Question 1: This is ForteKitty's amethyst set in a silver bezel ring setting:
file.jpg

I would like to set the white topaz asscher on the left in this photo in a similar setting, but with milgraining. Alternatively, I'd set it in a U-prong type setting (with double prongs, probably more claw than rounded). What do you guys think would look better? The topaz is 7mm.

I vote to bezel it with milgraining. Sounds pretty.

I don't really have an opinion on the sunstone/rose gold combo (can't envision it for some reason), but I love decorative baskets.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
mscushion|1301386257|2882431 said:
mscushion|1300960892|2878770 said:

I just placed an order with DanielM for a WG solitaire setting for my grandma's stone. Thanks for the help on this thread. The stone will get worn a lot more in the future in its new setting. Will post pics when I get it back. How long do you think I should expect the turnaround to be for a DanielM project?

I think the process took about 2 1/2-3 weeks once they received my stone. They told me 4, but they finished sooner than I was expecting.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I could really use some help, folks! I'm struggling with some setting decisions so I thought I'd post here to garner opinions.

I have a few loose stones, none large or spectacular, but I haven't set any of them yet. Funds are a little tight at the moment - and will be for the next year or so - as we are planning a wedding and saving to buy a house.

But I really would like to have at least ONE ring that I can wear. So I am looking at the stones I already have and trying to work out if there is anything worth setting amongst them.

I have a light blue sapphire, bought quite a few years ago, before I really knew anything about CS. I know I overpaid for it. :oops: I have no idea on treatments so I can only assume heat at best, possibly other treatments as well. But it's the largest stone I have, and at least it's fairly hardy for regular wear so I figure it has to be a top contender to be reset (it is currently in a generic pendant setting).

Here is the stone. I know it has some grey in it. I don't mind the lighter sapphires, but I do wish I'd had a better handle on colour when I bought it (not saying I do now, even!).

I'd love to hear ideas for a setting if I were to go ahead with using this stone. It pretty much has to be a white metal; I would wear yellow gold if it were an heirloom piece that I couldn't change, but I really, REALLY prefer white metals.

Oh, and feel free to tell me you don't think it's worth resetting. And I really do mean that, because I am still trying to develop my colour/quality judgement, so any comments - as long as they are honest - are welcome. Seriously.

pendantonhand1_crop1.jpg

DSC_7011_crop1_resize1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rae~|1301471938|2883285 said:
I could really use some help, folks! I'm struggling with some setting decisions so I thought I'd post here to garner opinions.

I have a few loose stones, none large or spectacular, but I haven't set any of them yet. Funds are a little tight at the moment - and will be for the next year or so - as we are planning a wedding and saving to buy a house.

But I really would like to have at least ONE ring that I can wear. So I am looking at the stones I already have and trying to work out if there is anything worth setting amongst them.

I have a light blue sapphire, bought quite a few years ago, before I really knew anything about CS. I know I overpaid for it. :oops: I have no idea on treatments so I can only assume heat at best, possibly other treatments as well. But it's the largest stone I have, and at least it's fairly hardy for regular wear so I figure it has to be a top contender to be reset (it is currently in a generic pendant setting).

Here is the stone. I know it has some grey in it. I don't mind the lighter sapphires, but I do wish I'd had a better handle on colour when I bought it (not saying I do now, even!).

I'd love to hear ideas for a setting if I were to go ahead with using this stone. It pretty much has to be a white metal; I would wear yellow gold if it were an heirloom piece that I couldn't change, but I really, REALLY prefer white metals.

Oh, and feel free to tell me you don't think it's worth resetting. And I really do mean that, because I am still trying to develop my colour/quality judgement, so any comments - as long as they are honest - are welcome. Seriously.

I think it's pretty and worth resetting, as long as you don't mind the possibility it's potentially diffused. It has some grey, but the grey is not overpowering and I actually prefer lighter blue sapphires. I think it's lovely. How big is it?

I'm not sure, but it could be synthetic too, if you didn't know anything about it when you bought it. You may want to send it to the AGL for testing, as if it comes back synthetic or with other treatment, that may be something that changes your opinion. If you don't care, than go reset it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The cheapest option and one that would look really pretty is to re-use the pendant by turning it into a ring. Turn the pendant on its side so the three diamonds are to the left or right then add 3 diamonds on the other side, a plain shank and voila! Job done! It would be relatively inexpensive and would look lovely I think! :appl:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1301513283|2883652 said:

The cheapest option and one that would look really pretty is to re-use the pendant by turning it into a ring. Turn the pendant on its side so the three diamonds are to the left or right then add 3 diamonds on the other side, a plain shank and voila! Job done! It would be relatively inexpensive and would look lovely I think! :appl:

You read my mind! It would look really lovely! A great take on a "three stone" ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results