shape
carat
color
clarity

The Biggest Black Star Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemologic

Rough_Rock
Trade

I have a client looking for a 500ct+ Gem quality Black Star sapphire, anyone know of one?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Ack! I want to see a pic when you find one!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What the heck would a person do with something that large? I''m curious...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paper weight? Tire block? Door stopper?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 3:42:08 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Paper weight? Tire block? Door stopper?
That would be a collector. Because of the cabochon weight, I doubt it would be set. Australian seems to have more larger star sapphires, try miners and distributors there.

Whoever buys such a stone would likely be in the record books. Last large black star sapphire I know of was the Black Star of Queensland (Australia)
730+ ct cut purchased by Kazanjian Brothers back in the 40's I think.

I think, story goes that the rough before it was cut was used as a door stop for many years...(guess you were pretty dead on there Hudson_Hawk!)

gemologic

Rough_Rock
Trade

Has anyone seen the Black Star of Queensland, and if so would you consider it gemmy?

I have never seen the stone but by all
accounts the picture looks like there is some crazing or is that a reflection, also the star looks fuzzy, you would think there would be a gem shot, Tino Hammid where are you?

the first attribute touted is size rather than quality.
Assuming a fair star with a ok background My guess is that it would be worth $50 - $100/ct at
auction.

Black Star of Queensland.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I don''t forsee a 500ct+ black star sapphire being something easily found gemmy... By nature of it''s characteristics they are not like Aquamarines and all pretty and clean... and at that size, I forsee this being a search for many months-years...

Per carat, I can''t say. I never priced out Black star sapphires, and the higher you go in quality and size, you may be paying more than $100/ct... Last I remember a blue star sapphire at 135ct+ went for $1M+ but I don''t remember the quality, probably pretty gemmy...

You would be best suited dealing with miners and direct sources for such a piece.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I see a lot of Black Star Sapphires when I am shopping in Thailand but 500 carats is far larger than I have run across. I have found over 100 carats in decent quality in several colors. I never looked for 500 carats as it is not practical for any jewelry item, even a belt buckle. I will be back there in February and will ask around as I am interested to know if they are available. Best regards, Lee

sapphirestars

Rough_Rock
The largest is the 700ct black star of queensland, on continuous display in the smithsonian and valued from 2 milion us $ to 88milion us $

Check google for that.

I don''t know how much your client is willing to pay for a large item.

I have a 490carat rough, yet to be made in cabuchon. (will yield maybe a 300ct stone or so depending on loss) Its one of the largest roughs I came accross. Contact me and let me know what he is willing to pay for it.

As I said, these sizes are rare and belong in museums.

Kind regards,

lwolfe

Rough_Rock
What would someone do with it. I have a 130 K Ruby it weighs it weighs 7.3+ oz and couldn''t imagine wearing it. It makes a great paper weight and fills a small gap in the safe but thats about as useful as it gets. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results