shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanian 3.01 ct greenish yellow chrysoberyl

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About a year ago, I bought a Mali garnet from a Thai based (non-ebay) vendor. The GIA gemset was supposed to be what I thought was greenish yellow with strong saturation, but it turned out to be very brown
33.gif
, and looked nothing like the photo. In any case, it was too costly to return it, but I always wanted that greenish yellow neon color like that Mali was supposed to be. Well, I thought I''d try a chrysoberyl, and this one was very pretty. Here is the vendor video still. It''s got a camera shadow, but I love how the green just looks like it''s floating in the stone. 3.01 carats.

TL3caratchrysoberyl.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is in natural diffused sunlight in the cz setting. There's absolutely no brown at all in this stone, although the camera does sometimes makes it look brownish. It is not at all. It reminds me of radioactive looking lemonade.

TLchrysfakering.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A handshot with a 1.8 carat Tanzanian pastel pink spinel.

I love pastels next to each other.

TLchryshandshotwspinel.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a dark surface to show you how bright this stone is. Natural diffused light.

TLchrysandspinelshot.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In incandescent light, it goes more green.

TLchrysincshot.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh,,very nice. A a good size! I presume it''s going to be a ring?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone; and huge!
Chrysoberyl is fast moving up on my list of favorite stones. I had one in the mail yesterday from ajs. I walked around all day staring at it.
Any ideas what you are going to make with it?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh TL it''s beautiful! It makes me excited to see mine when Michael gets it cut! He said the rough has a slightly greenish cast in fluorescent light and gets more yellow in incandescent light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next to the Mali that was sold to me as a strong saturated greenish yellow.
23.gif

Incandescent light.

TLmaliandchrys.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A further away shot to show how large it is and how bright it is. It''s a sparkler, great luster. I wish the cutting was better because it''s the kind of color that begs for awesome cutting, but I think the shape is pleasing, and I like the color a lot.

TLchyrshandshotsize.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I thought you didn't like yellow...well, never mind - it's a great stone. I like how green it goes! I know what you mean about the cutting, but honestly, some of that might disappear when set - the shape and color more than make up for that minor issue.

ETA: I also meant to applaud you for that last pic - it's one of your best!
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks lovely on your skin tone! I''m so jealous, I can''t pull off yellow at ALL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mochi, Vapid, Packrat.

No plans for setting it because I'm working on setting my mint tourmaline, and eventually my emerald. But one of these days. I would love to see this bezeled.

Vapid, take a photo of yours please.

Packrat,
Ooooh, any more details on your chrysoberyl that you would like to share???

Cell,
Thank you.
I don't like brownish yellow, like that mali
14.gif
. I don't mind a chartreuse or greenish yellow if it's bright enough.

MTG,
Thank you.
I don't buy colors that look good on me, but what my eye perceives to be beautiful. I actually think this would look great against darker skin and I'm extremely pale.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very, very pretty! Radioactive lemonade is an accurate description.
10.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
my new chryso .86 ct
the girdle is thin, really almost knife edge, but I don''t mind the color is crazy mint laser bluegreen and just plain cheerful! The pictures do not show the color well.

cry_sober_al.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
And it is really bright and sparkly

cry_sober_al2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, I''ve got a baby picture! Mine is the one in the middle on the bottom, the more yellow one. He''s thinking he''ll have it cut later this week, and I feel like I''ve got ants in my pants I''m so excited! Freke was telling me last night how beautiful the supernovas are and I''m just..giddy! I''m trying to at least be good and not ask about it until Friday.
17.gif

chrysoberylrough.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Packr that''s like a lemon sonogram! great color in that stone. Who is cutting it for you?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vapid,
That looks like a vanadium. How cool! Does it change colors like LD's? Her vanadium from AJS turned out to be an alexandrite!
6.gif

Packrat,
I'm excited for you too!! Very nice stone.
36.gif

Thank you both for sharing your photos.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yes it''s a vanadium. It loses all color under incandescent light and turns to bright mint in sunlight. Haven''t hit it with the uv yet though. It''s so small the tiny little window just looks like an antique culet

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see the pics!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
TL your chrysoberyl looks deep enough you could do a re-cut.
I have a mali that also goes yellow to green to brown tones, but it is so nicely cut that it is nice in any and all of the color schemes it shows

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2010 9:41:33 PM
Author: VapidLapid
TL your chrysoberyl looks deep enough you could do a re-cut.

I have a mali that also goes yellow to green to brown tones, but it is so nicely cut that it is nice in any and all of the color schemes it shows

I would consider a recut except for two factors.

1) It might lose saturation and
2) It's at the three carat mark, which is large for these stones.

I think the color speaks for itself, but if I would recut it, I would do a concave cut. Did you see this Richard Homer masterpiece? The price is $3900!
23.gif

RHChrysoberyl.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that the vendor video is quite an accurate representation of the incandescent color. It goes a bit more yellow in natural light, although still greenish yellow.

Here's a photo I took earlier between two of my smaller Colombian emeralds. The poor emeralds, they don't have a chance against the luster and sparkle. LOL! Natural diffused light. It's a little more green than this photo suggests, and absolutely no brown whatsoever, even though I see it in the photo.

TLchrysoemeralds.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I love this stone. I''ve been wanting a yellow stone for quite some time. So, it pretty much only shows the green in incandescent light?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone. It looks almost Sphene like. I too love the mix of acid green and lemonade.

Vapid - that was the Vanadium Chrysoberyl that I had my eye on! Glad you like it. It looks very pretty and it actually had the best colour of all the Vanadiums that AJS had for sale.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
It’s a very bright and well saturated stone. Normally I dislike yellow with a passion but when it looks like a bright sunny yellow, I’d happily take that any day. The stone has a small window and slightly off center culet; do you think it’ll benefit from a recut? Ah, it’s a borderline 3 ct stone, so that would make me think twice about a recut as well.

VL,
Yours is a very interesting vanadium chrysoberyl in that it’s a cool greenish minty variety. What’s the stats on it?

Packrat,
I’m so excited for you; do you know which one Michael is cutting for you?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a bright and lively stone! I love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results