shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions:Tips: Looking to purchase 1st colored gem

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
Hello All, I am very interested in starting my colored gem collection. I am interested in purchasing Spinel gems.

In no particular order...Blue, Yellow, Hot Pink tinge of Orange combo, Spessertite, Purple/Violet. Want them set in sterling preferred or white gold.

Settings would like a bezel, and other detailed crafted type setting, art deco too. Appears most folks buy the stone then set it. Is that typical for Spinels?

Small sizes range between .30 - .72 ct.

Appears online is the best for value and selection. Looking for suggestions on specific sites to check out.

Will be buying loose stones looking for good sites that display an array of settings in sterling or white gold.

Any suggestions for jewelers in the greater Boston, Ma area would be great. Or is it more common to buy stone then ship to a jeweler to set it?

Again, want to go about this in logical way and would love any tips, suggestions for sites to buy the stones from, view settings to purchase and/or send the stone too for setting.

Figured why recreate the wheel and ask the experts!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS and come join us on the spinel bandwagon. Many of us prefer to buy the stones separately as it opens up the selection available. This isn’t typical just for spinels but all types of gemstones. Most already set stones in rings or etc are usually of poorer quality. Your observation of buying online being more cost competitive is also true although it depends on who you purchase from as well. One does have to keep an eye out for synthetic and fake stones. For setting a loose stone, a local jeweller is sufficient as there is no need to ship it off elsewhere. You can either purchase the setting online or from your local jeweller as well.

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
our observation of buying online being more cost competitive is also true although it depends on who you purchase from as well. One does have to keep an eye out for synthetic and fake stones. For setting a loose stone, a local jeweller is sufficient as there is no need to ship it off elsewhere.

Chrono based on your response what are some good web sites to check out? For a setting again any suggestions for online sites?

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
Crasru, is $150 - $200 a realistic budget? If not where should I be for sizes .30 - .72 ct?
What specific sites can you guide me to?
I am very new to this so need helps arriving at a realistic budget.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is more than a realistic budget for a stone if you buy from Bob Kast (he has great tourmalines, well-cut, inexpensive, just google his name and you'll find where he sells them). Also, Barry Bridgestock has inexpensive stones... way above 0.72 cts!

If you are looking for a spinel, I think gemburionline still has some inexpensive spinels... about I ct. Spinel-wise, I do not think you should buy a stone smaller then 0.8 ct because they are very small. JMO

As to setting, you may throw in a little bit more money. Let me search some etsy websites.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For smallish stones, I agree with Crasru. Bob Kast sells excellent tourmalines and Tan (Gemburionline and OdysseyGems) has well priced spinels in the sizes you are looking for. I hope you are aware that in gemstones, something around 0.3 ct is a lot smaller than a diamond. A 0.75 ct coloured gemstone is generally around 5 mm at most.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
see the thread re books re color stones. get yourself educated to understand the tradeoffs you'll be making due to your budget. most of us have had to do this.

mz

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advise. really want small sizes ering is 70ct do not want to purchase any gems larger than that so not to overpower the ering. So I am gleening that I could spend less for small spinels? Yes?

I will do more research. Again Thanks All!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vendor I have bought from who does a great job on cutting and is very reasonable is Dan Stair at Customgemstones. I have both a spessartite and spinel from him. He has Montana sapphires very reasonable too. Have fun shopping.

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Marcy for the tip. I was lurking on Diamond Bistro Re Bob Kast. Can anyone tell me is it strictly an auction site or can I forgo the auction and buy what I am interested in? I could not quite figure out how to purchase a spessartite I saw.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results