shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a Gift Wanted

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only gift I ever gave that EVERYONE loves are Starbuck's gift cards. You can never go wrong with one of those. If I ever stray from that, or try to buy something more personal, it always gets returned, or I get a lukewarm "thank you." Even if you don't drink coffee, they have tea, pastries, and other things.

The worst thing is to spend a lot of money on a gift that isn't someone's taste. Pearls are really not for everyone. I've learned this the hard way, and yes, I even bought a Tiffany bracelet for my niece who never wears it. She loves her Starbuck's though. :naughty:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems every one is joining in on the GIFT list......but Molly's last post (and link) clearly states that NOTHING of value can be given to anyone on staff. It doesn't get much clearer........so I take back my 'discreet' comment! But there is still hope:

1.) Write a heartfelt and clear letter about the outstanding job this person did. Identify how you feel that she went above and beyond the way most people do their jobs and it was not only appreciated by you and (SO) but that it happened in a situation where it brought order to your world when it was in chaos. Words of your choosing obviously.......the emphasis is that this is an OUTSTANDING EMPLOYEE! Send three copies of the letter: One to the President or top dog of the facility, one to HR, and a copy to the person you are talking about. She may get special recognition from her employer and employee promotions can get a boost with a letter such as this!

2.) If you still want to do more than a letter then the idea of a lunch on that floor/office with her favorite food would be a possibility. Or as mentioned previously.......a fruit basket or flowers. It won't be a pearl or jewelry........but believe me, staff know how good it is to be acknowledged..........and you will be doing that within the rules of this organization..........

Wishing you and SO the best in the future and I hope you can navigate this "thank you" successfully.............it may not end the way you planned, but it will be appreciated. Trust me, I know!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love the idea of the starbucks gift card. I know you want to be thoughtful, but I think its best not to circumvent the policies. I regard starbucks as a luxury item and my son has been given these and he loves them. (He's a grown man)

Give her a nice card expressing to her what you have told us. I think she will always remember that. Sometimes that's all that's needed.

Annette

Vapid, I will always remember the story you posted on how Murry wanted to do his business where he always did, and so you carried him downstairs. I found this such a loving story of your love for one another. Write her a lovely note.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
+1 for Digdeep's post

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1427481782|3853353 said:
+1 for Digdeep's post

+me too

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or maybe a basket of coffee related things/chocolate/goodies, if you can't do a gift card. Who wouldn't love that???

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I am in the minority here or just a rebel at heart :cheeky: but I would go ahead and give her whatever gift you wanted to. Discreetly and not in front of anybody else. IDK but rules like this annoy me. Trying to police our every action and suppress thoughtful and generous behavior. :nono:

I love the Digdeep's wonderful idea of writing those letters too because that is a wonderful thoughtful thing to do and I am sure she would be very pleased if you did that as well. But in addition a gift would be a lovely and thoughtful way to show your and your SO's appreciation.

We baked for our surgical staff and they loved it. The surgeon was also quite pleased with the home baked goods we gave him. We baked for each member of the team so each person got a box of home baked goods. I didn't even think (or care if there were) there might be rules against this.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Missy is a girl after my own heart :appl: :appl:

Corporations are just so fascist these days. Don't get me started . . .

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Also wanted to thank MollyMalone for the tip off and details of such policies. I understand it in government or in positions where contracts are decided, but it seems overkill for medical practice administrative staff.

Last year We made a Lemon meringue tart for the staff at Oncology, but they all got to eat it.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Jade bangles are always nice and they go with most anything. But since jewelry is out lunch for her and some of her coworkers would be nice.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1427490539|3853392 said:
Also wanted to thank MollyMalone for the tip off and details of such policies. I understand it in government or in positions where contracts are decided, but it seems overkill for medical practice administrative staff.

Last year We made a Lemon meringue tart for the staff at Oncology, but they all got to eat it.
I think a pie would be okay under any circumstances. These rules are meant to avoid the exchange of substantial gifts when employees are in a position of being trusted with some kind of power that is not supposed to be bought. In the US Federal Government, most federal employees are allowed to receive gifts that value $20 or less from individuals.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1427490539|3853392 said:
The couple of nonprofits I've either worked or volunteered for had generally the same kind of policies re direct gifts to personnel from clients/constituents; think they are intended to eliminate or at least reduce the potential for favoritism -- and/or the perception thereof -- in services rendered.

But what I didn't have time to explain more fully in my prior posts yesterday afternoon or earlier today (it's been crunch time for me at the office) is that I ran up against NYU Langone's policies myself in September. My uncle had been in and out of there throughout most of the summer. While his partner & I were not thrilled (to put it mildly) with the place, 2 of his nurses and a LPN would be superstars in any hospital setting. When we made overtures as to what they would most appreciate, each politely declined, saying it's against hospital policy to accept anything.

So I found the Gift Policy & the general Code of Conduct on the 'net to see what, if anything, would be OK. We ended up doing essentially what digdeep suggested to you -- only we addressed our laudatory letters to the supervisors who have the most say in the respective employee's performance evaluations, cc'd to HR. (We did not send the letters to the CEO, figuring that it was a sure fire way to be lodged on Langone's fundraising database.) We also arranged for the 2nd Ave Deli to deliver a late lunch/early supper to the unit (fortunately, we were able to ascertain a day when all 3 were scheduled to work, albeit not on the same shift). The cost for what we guessed would be the crew for both shifts was not what I would call "modest", to quote from the Gift Policy. But because their generally tasty fare is all kosher, it's also halal and therefore acceptable to observant Muslim employees as well.

Don't know if she might abide by such dietary precepts or if her unit is as diverse in its composition, but the Dunkin' Donuts at 51 E. 34th Street is reportedly certified kosher -- although your homemade goodies would be MUCH yummier!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 Molly's comments/suggestions

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results