shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid Housekeeping Question

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
If you got fingerprints all over a loose stone, what's the best way to clean it?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I use the cloths that came with my reading glasses and they work pretty well for a quicky cleanup.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the characteristics and treatment of the stone. Most are fine for a quick dip in ammonia free jewellery cleaner followed by a dab of the cotton cloth to dry it. If the stone has been oiled, then do not use any cleaners on it. Some stones are also too soft for wiping down.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some mild washing up liquid and a dampened chamois leather cloth. A soft lint free cloth to dry off after.

I wouldn't risk any type of solution (and most definitely not a sonic cleaner) if you are not 100% sure of the treatments.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a leather chamois for stones harder than a 6 on the Mohs scale. Gem supply houses sell them. They're awesome.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have loose stones, but for my engagement ring, I use warm water and a gentle dishwashing liquid. That's what the vendor who did my ring recommended, and it works well.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the responses. Another question, I read online that spessartite should not be cleaned often with water. True/False? That doesn't seem like it could be correct.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see why spessartite cannot be cleaned using water. Room temperature or slightly warm water will not be an issue at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1295536914|2827619 said:
Thank you all for the responses. Another question, I read online that spessartite should not be cleaned often with water. True/False? That doesn't seem like it could be correct.

I don't think that's true. I've been cleaning mine with water for years (with a little dishsoap) and they sparkle like crazy. That's odd, where did you read that if I may ask?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

I put inclusion free spessartite in the ultrasonic - you can definitely clean them with water as often as you like.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The only things I would not consider using warm washing water on hydrophane opal and halite. The salt will melt (admitted, there are probably no folks on PS that have a faceted salt crystal - I have no desire to try and cut one either). The opal, Welo/Wello being the best example that is common, will change color. I would use a microfiber cloth like I do on my sunglasses for Welo.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks George...was wondering about hydrophane opals. I have a few and plan on growing my collection.

Laura

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1295550320|2827857 said:

I don't think that's true. I've been cleaning mine with water for years (with a little dishsoap) and they sparkle like crazy. That's odd, where did you read that if I may ask?

I will try to find the website for you, but I was just googling "Cleaning spessartite" or "how to clean spessartite".

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
George Ellis|1295562989|2828071 said:
The only things I would not consider using warm washing water on hydrophane opal and halite. The salt will melt (admitted, there are probably no folks on PS that have a faceted salt crystal - I have no desire to try and cut one either). The opal, Welo/Wello being the best example that is common, will change color. I would use a microfiber cloth like I do on my sunglasses for Welo.

LOL, one of my former tutors had a faceted halite that I got to see, must have been a nightmare to facet. Another one never to put near water is Sucrose - I have a large beautiful formed monoclinic crystal of around 10ct in my collection. Actually I did have two but I ate one... :oops:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confused of the UK here. So is it ok or not to put Hydrophane Opals near water? :confused:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
You can get them wet, but they will become transparent and may (likely) lose some or all of their fire until they dry. I'll try to take some photos of the stones I made from rough so that you can see the process. It will not harm the stone.

Liquids other than water could harm them, and since they are porous, I suppose it is possible they could stain if a colored liquid were to get on them for long. When I cut (ground) my stones, I did so on a machine that uses water to keep the stones cool. You are basically "sandpapering" away the stone to shape it and opal needs to be kept cool so water is normally used on the cabbing machines from what I've read. They can be sanded dry as well, but that seems to be an exception. After I was done making the cabs, it took from a few hours to a few days for the stones to dry and regain their color. From what I've read online by others who have been cutting these opals for a few years, you can wet them over and over and it won't hurt the stone. They just need to dry back out. They may even have slightly different transparency depending on the humidity. I haven't put that to the test yet!

Laura

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results