shape
carat
color
clarity

Steaming a sapphire - color change?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard that you shouldn''t steam a sapphire as it can change the color. Does it tend to make it darker or lighter or . . . ?

Thanks.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/31/2008 10:10:32 PM
Author:sonomacounty
I''ve heard that you shouldn''t steam a sapphire as it can change the color. Does it tend to make it darker or lighter or . . . ?

Thanks.

I assume you mean steam-cleaning. Sapphire is one of the most durable of all gems and I''ve never heard of such a thing. Can you provide a source for that? I''ve been steam cleaning sapphires for 30 years and have never had any kind of problem. The only way I can imagine it might change a stone is to restore its original color and brilliance by removing all the grease and "gunk" from its back. (You may have no idea how dirty and gross some people allow their jewelry to get!)
Richard M.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rick,
You had a recipe for cleaning gems. I inadvertently deleted it. Would you mind sharing it with us? Thanks!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2008 12:02:36 AM
Author: Harriet
Rick,

You had a recipe for cleaning gems. I inadvertently deleted it. Would you mind sharing it with us? Thanks!

Not at all. Since it contains ammonia it is recommended only for crystalline gems like diamonds, ruby, sapphire, garnet, spinel, quartz, even opal (which is not crystalline). Do NOT use this for pearls, amber, malachite, lapis, rhodochrosite, turquoise or any carbonate gem! It will destroy the polish.

Locate a small soft plastic container like a pill bottle. Add sudsy ammonia to cover the jewelry. This is a grocery store item and comes lemon-scented (recommended). Add a drop or two of liquid laundry detergent (not dishwashing detergent).

Simply place your rings in the solution every night at bedtime. In the morning remove them with tweezers and rinse in very hot running water, followed by drying with a soft cotton cloth to prevent water-spotting. Following that routine daily will prevent the build-up of skin oils and the oils found in most lotions and costmetics. Your jewelry will always sparkle and appear like-new. The cleaning solution needs to be renewed every couple of weeks. The solution will not harm jewelry metals like silver, gold, platinum and palladium. Since I can''t control all uses this is "at your own risk" although my wife has used this method for many years with great results.

Richard M.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
richard, why not liquid dish detergent? i use a biodegradable, dry laundry detergent but have a biodegradable liquid dishwashing detergent......

movie zombie

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2008 3:53:13 PM
Author: movie zombie
richard, why not liquid dish detergent? i use a biodegradable, dry laundry detergent but have a biodegradable liquid dishwashing detergent......

movie zombie

Maybe it was the brand I used but I''ve found dishwashing detergent leaves a film on gems. I think sudsy ammonia alone would probably be fine if the jewelry isn''t really dirty to begin with, and I''m sure yours isn''t
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Is sudsy ammonia a brand? Does it call it that on the bottle - as I''m not sure I''ve seen it over here.

I have a bottle of jewellery cleaner with ammonia that you dilute - same stuff?

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 5:31:43 PM
Author: Pandora II
Is sudsy ammonia a brand? Does it call it that on the bottle - as I''m not sure I''ve seen it over here.

I have a bottle of jewellery cleaner with ammonia that you dilute - same stuff?

I''m curious too - I''m out in Germany and won''t be able to get hold of a specific US product but I really want to try this!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 4:23:04 PM
Author: Richard M.

Maybe it was the brand I used but I''ve found dishwashing detergent leaves a film on gems. I think sudsy ammonia alone would probably be fine if the jewelry isn''t really dirty to begin with, and I''m sure yours isn''t
1.gif
oh, richard, my spess is very very very in need of cleaning........ i may buy a small bottle of liquid laundry detergent to use and give the sudsy ammonia trick a try.

movie zombie

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many thanks, Richard!
Incidentally, does this work for oiled emeralds?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2008 8:18:50 PM
Author: Harriet
Many thanks, Richard!

Incidentally, does this work for oiled emeralds?

I wouldn''t put emeralds in that solution just to be on the safe side. I don''t think ammonia will attack the oil but who knows what kind of oil is used or what other fillers may be present?

For those who asked what sudsy ammonia is, it''s simply household cleaning ammonia that makes its own suds. I don''t have any handy to check the label but I''m sure it contains some sort of detergent. I have no idea about specific brand names or whether it''s sold outside the U.S.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad this came up. I''m well on my way to becoming one of those people who lets their rings become filthy.
40.gif
I don''t take it off, so I''m sure it''s awful. Off to find sudsy ammonia!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results