shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Sapphire Ring

GraveRobbinHobo

Rough_Rock
camera_3__0.jpgcamera_0___1__0.jpg

This ring was my grandmother's and it was passed down to me. I only know its a star sapphire, and that's about it. I do not know the maker. It was either purchased in Denmark at least fifty years ago or by my grandfather in the US. My father was unable to remember the exact story.
I am going to need to have two prongs repaired. Its white gold, with 14 small diamonds surrounding the star sapphire.
Do you think this ring has enough value to be appraised? I am not looking to sell, its for insurance purposes if needed.
Can anyone give me a guess on carat size. I placed it in a standard ring box and placed it up against my hand...yes I have big hands. I am confused on carat sizes. All I know its not the same used for diamonds. Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Before estimating the carat weight to determine if it should be appraised, you should confirm that this is a natural star sapphire. I would go to someone who is familiar with colored gemstones. Most jewelers are only well versed in white diamonds, and I would go to an independent appraiser, instead of someone who owns a jewelry store and may have a conflict of interest. Because it is an heirloom, I think it is worth getting a proper appraisal.

If you live in the DC area, I would give Martin Fuller a call (http://www.martinfullerassociates.com/currentnewsevents.html). Some people would think this is overkill, but I would go to someone knowledgeable as this piece has high sentimental value to you, and I would not want you to be led astray. For myself, I would want to hand it down to my children, with a proper record of what it is. It looks like a beautiful ring.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Can't be sure from a picture but I would guess you have a synthetic Sapphire with a diffused star, perhaps a Linde. Another guess, weight about 7.5 carats. Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little|1364143564|3412311 said:
Can't be sure from a picture but I would guess you have a synthetic Sapphire with a diffused star, perhaps a Linde. Another guess, weight about 7.5 carats. Best regards, Lee

+1 I'm afraid. The colour and shape of the star is indicative of synthetic/diffused material. :(sad

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If it is synthetic, I wouldn't consider that to mean its valueless (although it might not have a high dollar value). I personally think old synthetics are fun.

Think of it like a bakelite bangle--once considered a cheap synthetic, now a collector's item worth more than it was originally!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Those Linde stars were so very popular when I was a kid. I loved them. Yours looks like a very nice setting.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If memory serves me right the Linde star sapphires had a L on the bottom somewhere.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a synthetic star sapphire to me as well but the sentimentality of the ring is priceless. Linde was popular around the 1950s thereabouts. It will have an L stamped at the bottom of the stone. Other synthetic stars have no marker or identifying marks.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I am not an expert, but I think the crispness of the star seems to indicate synthetic vs. natural. It is very pretty though! I have always loved them and it is a very lovely ring setting for that sapphire.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It looks like a Linde to me too. I have one sitting in a box here in a size 10 silver ring. The stone is 8mm and I paid less than $20 for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results