shape
carat
color
clarity

star sapphire maybe real?

azelismia

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's in a 10 rose gold setting. the flash makes the gold color cooler than it is. it's actually very very rose. the stone color looks ok to me though.

20131005_070634.jpg

20131005_070623.jpg

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Extremely strong stars do exist in genuine star sapphires. Typically goes with translucent body and medium color. They even exist in large star sapphires, I have a 50 Ct one with a perfect, very strong star and a nice medium blue body.
BUT they don’t exist with opaque body and very dark blue color. There are being produced by a diffusion process and are extremely common. Neither the star, nor the blue color is natural. They might have started off from natural material, but the thing is close to worthless as none of the visible properties is original.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well, that IS a real star Sapphire and also the above posters are correct, that is obviously a diffused star and most likely is on a natural Sapphire that has been color enhanced. Often a diffused star is easy to spot in less than a second. Look at the broken and curved rays, these are tell tale for a diffused star and would be highly unlikely in a natural star. Sometimes an inclusion will block or even distort a ray on a natural star but not as dramatically as we see in this prime example.
These do have value and a place in the market as there is a very high demand for stars in general. Because many people want to own a bright, floating, well centered, 6 ray star, especially a blue one, they often buy these less expensive alternatives even when they are properly disclosed. They cannot be re-cut or re-polished as the star is only in the surface of the gem and can be polished away, however, the do last a long time and will certainly catch attention. Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the original poster - may I suggest that you take your pretty ring to a jeweller who can run certain tests to determine what it is/isn't. It may be that you may have to send it to a lab to be sure.

In all honesty although people can give you educated guesses (and you can see from the above there is a variety of opinions), it is only that unless they have the ring in hand. I suspect (like Lee) that it's a natural sapphire - anything else I wouldn't like to say!

I hope this thread hasn't upset you and you still love your ring? It's very pretty and you should wear it with pride.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results