shape
carat
color
clarity

*Squeal* I'm going gem shopping in Arusha!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1301845583|2886654 said:
Two very delicious scoops and just in time for breakfast!
It looks as though gem shopping in arusha is both wonderful and torture, so many stones singing sweetly to you and then when they lull you into submission BAM! $400 per carat for grossular rough!

It was per piece and they would cut probably cut a 1.5 ct finished stone. They are my favorite I'm just very glad I bought my grossulars when I did because now they are too rich for my blood. I would love more but not at these prices. I have to save my $$ for stuff I don't have like really nice examples of ruby, spess, and cuprian tourmaline. That is my "bucket list" of gems.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the narrative and the pics. How cool is that to see all that rough first hand?!! Unbelievable photos and I hope you have many more opportunities to be up close and personal with stones and rough. Do you think the prices might go down for you as you make more contacts and get to know folks better? So for us back here, from what you see and hear, is there any particular stone you think we should buy now if you think there may be a shortage?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1301847013|2886675 said:
Thanks so much for the narrative and the pics. How cool is that to see all that rough first hand?!! Unbelievable photos and I hope you have many more opportunities to be up close and personal with stones and rough. Do you think the prices might go down for you as you make more contacts and get to know folks better? So for us back here, from what you see and hear, is there any particular stone you think we should buy now if you think there may be a shortage?

I think the more middlemen I can cut out the better prices I'll get. My Swahili is improving all the time and we plan on touring some mining areas. Obviously the Thai exporters here are able to get stones for a song and they all have reps based out by the mines and buy large volumes. If you ever think you would like a color change garnet I would buy one soon. Rubies also are like unobtanium these days though I guess that's always been the case. Spinel is abundant but the prices are just wild.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very neat!!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I love the photos and hearing about your experiences. I can't believe you were able to resist buying something. You're a strong woman, Kelpie!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Just like arusha, I went outside and found donkeys and spessartite right here in soho!

donkeyspess.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1301858417|2886833 said:
Just like arusha, I went outside and found donkeys and spessartite right here in soho!
So you carry your loose gems around with you as well so you can admire them whenever you please. My husband is always getting on me for that.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well of course! How else can one see the stone in all lights? And sometimes a few seconds looking at a cheerful glowing ball of orange or an optimistic grossular just keeps one's spirits up. It's like eye valium.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1301866298|2886939 said:
Well of course! How else can one see the stone in all lights? And sometimes a few seconds looking at a cheerful glowing ball of orange or an optimistic grossular just keeps one's spirits up. It's like eye valium.

Agreed although your spouse will not be so accommodating when you are admiring a half carat diamond inside the car and lose it down the hole the parking brake comes up through.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing your experience though pictures kelpie!

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pictures Kelpie. Really enjoyed them.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
After viewing a lot of spess pricing I had to go back and get this 2.34 stone I saw a few weeks ago. It was even less than I remembered and I ended up getting it for $125 dollars. I am still in the market for a cushion spess but just had to get this one for that amazing price. What looks like a feather is just lint. Also picked up a .60CTW pair of oval grossulars for $65.

spess 007.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results