shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel Help!

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
This is my first post to the forum, and let me say that I'm excited about it! I love gemstone jewelry, especially large stone rings. I've learned so much already from you guys just by reading various posts. I would like to start collecting spinel and become knowledgeable about it so that I can choose a beautiful one in the near future for my ering. I particularly like purple, pink, and gray spinel. I haven't seen many larger stones though. I saw a nice purple one that I thought may be good to start off with. Could you please give me your feedback? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Purplegirl

16278-spinel2.jpeg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Hi purplegirl, welcome to PS!

That one looks a tad dark. Unless you don't mind it...

Give us your budget and desired specs and we'll see what we can do to help you.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your response! This is my first gemstone, and I don't have a huge budget. I would say I like to spend no more than $150. I don't even know if what I'm looking for is realistic. I think I would like a gray, purple, or pink colored spinel that is a least 2 cts. I like cushion cut or round, but I would be open to other shapes too if the stone is really stunning. Eventually, I would like a 6-8 ct. stone for my ering, but I figured I should start smaller to get a feel for what I really like.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I think that one has a nice a cut and if it's in your size and price range AND there is a good return policy, I'd go for it. I agree that it might be too dark, but you might like the look in person. Gem photography is hard. I also think you might be searching for a while for a well cut spinel of any color for that size and price. I would expect to pay anywhere between $300 - $5000 for a 2 ct spinel, depending on the color. If you don't mind grayish shades you can keep it on the lower end. Jeff Davies frequently has light gray/purplish spinels that are very pretty in person, but they're more like 7mm (less than 2 cts) for $140ish, but the price goes up exponentially as size increases. A 6-8ct spinel would be quite hard to find and rather expensive.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are willing to try your hand at ebay, it seems as if there are still spinels of that color to be had fairly inexpensively there...

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
The one above is listed as a 8.7x5.3mm and described as pinkish purple. The return policy is pretty good too. I don't know much about photography of gemstones, but I like the cut too. For $120, I felt that it might make for a good starter stone. I've also been looking at Jeff Davies page to see if he has anything, but there isn't right now. Thanks for the feedback!

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
I've frequented ebay often. I would be willing to find gemstones there. Thanks!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
For that size, cut, and price, I'd go for it. It might black out and be not that pretty IRL, but it might speak to you. I have an inexpensive brownish red spinel that's REALLY dark but has beautiful flashes of inner fire in the right light. It's definitely a "starter" stone for me, but I enjoy it.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
I thought it might be a good deal too. If I don't like it, I can always return it and try again. I have been known to like things that other people normally wouldn't. :D I've sent an order form to the vendor. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've been given good advise by the posters above; since this spinel is returnable and refundable, it is worth a look. You will be hard pressed to find a pretty looking 2 ct spinel for $150 or so that doesn't have cut issues. The colour looks rather dark but who knows if you might like it. In terms of finding a 6 to 8 ct spinel, it will be extremely difficult since spinels are generally much smaller. 6 to 8 carats is also really large and could measure anywhere from 10 mm to 12 mm.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
Chrono,
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely want my e-ring to have a larger stone, and I'm glad you let me know that spinels aren't common in very large sizes. I did wonder why I hadn't seen many over a certain ct. weight. I'm would ay that I would't want to go any smaller than 4 or 5 cts. I'm open to other options in a stone also as long as it will be a choice for an e-ring and it has a very pretty color and cut. Originally, my dream e-ring had a 14 ct. green tourmaline surrounded by small pink diamonds, but then I started doing some research and saw that a tourmaline might not be a good choice for an e-ring. Granted, my first choice in color would be purple or pink.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both spinel and sapphire are the only stones I can think of that are good candidates for an e-ring that does purple and pink well. Unfortunately, even in the 4 ct to 5 ct range, you are talking about $5K and upwards unless you happen to love and want a predominantly gray coloured stone.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
I actually do like gray colored stones. My plan was to contrast with the stone of another color. I can always accent with purple or pink. As long as it's beautiful, I'm open to many different options. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Teaser pictures coming up. ;))

Do you like this pink? The cut isn't perfect but still decent and I expect the colour to be less intense or less "in your face" in person.
3 ct pink spinel, 7.7 mm for $2050
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1493725161

If you are open to ovals, you can see how much the price drops when the stone is gray. The cut is superb in this particular spinel. I'm guessing you might be able to see a few inclusions on the table when the light hits the spinel just right, which might also account for a discounted price.
3 ct gray purple spinel, 10.50 x 7.80 mm for $307
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?2060194685

j2w_sn10732aa.jpg

j2w_ysp138ab.jpg

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
Those are gorge! Thanks for posting! I'm actually partial to the second one even though it's oval. The color is more subtle. Is the oval less expensive than cushion in most cases?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplegirl|1394118819|3628628 said:
Is the oval less expensive than cushion in most cases?

Not necessarily less expensive but definitely a whole lot easier to find, especially in large sizes. Rounds will take a looooonnnngggg time to find in the 3 to 8 ct range.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
Hmmm…..that's very good info. I actually tend to lean toward the non-traditional, so round would probably be last on the list as far as shape goes. As long as I can find a really unique and pretty setting, I'm open to anything. I do think that the gray purple speaks to me more than the pink. Purple is my favorite color! Couldn't you tell my the name? ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
velouriaL|1394090308|3628512 said:
Minou, are these precision cut?

Highly doubtful, though I've found that many of the Sri Lankan spinels are very well cut.

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
That is very pretty and unusual. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for the suggestion!

purplegirl

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful color! Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to know it's pricing. :D

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am wondering about the price tag -- I' think we can safely predict that it's more than the eBay stone ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results