shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel dilemma

burberryqueen

Rough_Rock
I am currently in the market for a pink spinel. My preference is a Mahenge but my priority is a great color. After asking around, I now have multiple options in terms of stones to choose from. All of the stones are very well cut and have no windows. They are also all VVS in clarity. They differ in color. One is a 3 carat bright pink spinel that is around $10,000. The other is a 4 carat Mahenge that is a hot, neon pink that is $9,000. The last is on the smaller side, it is 2.5 carats and hot, neon pink and it is around $5,000. I admit that I do not know anything about price but I am trying to figure out what a fair price for Mahenge spinels is. I am confused because it seems like there is such a discrepancy in pricing of the stones that I am looking at, especially between the 3 carat and the 4 carat stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burberryqueen|1407190515|3726020 said:
I am currently in the market for a pink spinel. My preference is a Mahenge but my priority is a great color. After asking around, I now have multiple options in terms of stones to choose from. All of the stones are very well cut and have no windows. They are also all VVS in clarity. They differ in color. One is a 3 carat bright pink spinel that is around $10,000. The other is a 4 carat Mahenge that is a hot, neon pink that is $9,000. The last is on the smaller side, it is 2.5 carats and hot, neon pink and it is around $5,000. I admit that I do not know anything about price but I am trying to figure out what a fair price for Mahenge spinels is. I am confused because it seems like there is such a discrepancy in pricing of the stones that I am looking at, especially between the 3 carat and the 4 carat stones.

If they are completely clean, I would get a lab memo. Hopefully this is a reputable vendor because there is a lot of synthetic red/pink spinel in the marketplace sold as natural.

Mahenge spinels go up exponentially in price based on carat weight, kind of like diamonds. There is no linear shift in price per carat between a 2 carat mahenge and a 10 carat mahenge. If all else is equal, the ten carat mahenge will be far more per carat than the 2 carater.

The vendor must think the three carat stone has far better color than the four carat one if he's pricing it more per carat.

burberryqueen

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, TL. All three stones have been GIA certified and each one comes from a reputable vendor.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burberryqueen|1407190983|3726025 said:
Thanks for the reply, TL. All three stones have been GIA certified and each one comes from a reputable vendor.

Very good, then the vendor must think more highly of the three carat stone to price it as such. ;-)

Some vendors, if you're lucky enough, price older stones for less because at the time they paid less for them as well. The color may be magnificent though.

burberryqueen

Rough_Rock
Before I saw the stones, that what I assumed. But, the 3 carat stone is a very bright pink color, definitely not neon or top color for a Mahenge. The 4 carat stone is very saturated and is exactly what a top color mahenge should be. Hence my confusion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burberryqueen|1407191321|3726028 said:
Before I saw the stones, that what I assumed. But, the 3 carat stone is a very bright pink color, definitely not neon or top color for a Mahenge. The 4 carat stone is very saturated and is exactly what a top color mahenge should be. Hence my confusion.

Hmmm, maybe the four carat was purchased at a lower price as it may be older material. If it's lower price per carat, is larger and has better color, consider yourself fortunate.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you're not concerned about the authenticity of the stone, and you trust your judgement that the 4 ct is top color.

Have you seen the stones in hand? I would compare it to ones of similar carat weight and color to determine if the price is reasonable. It is hard to find comparables for a 4 ct hot pink spinel from Mahenge, but...

burberryqueen

Rough_Rock
Hi pregcurious. I am very concerned about the authenticity and all three stones have reports from GIA. I have seen all three stones in person. I am just confused about the large difference in price.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
burberryqueen|1407213200|3726256 said:
Hi pregcurious. I am very concerned about the authenticity and all three stones have reports from GIA. I have seen all three stones in person. I am just confused about the large difference in price.

Color is also subjective as well. Perhaps the dealer thinks the pink stone has better color than the other one. If you were to post the pictures of the gems here, you might get lots of differing opinions as well. I know that my idea of a top color mahenge doesn't always correspond to what other people think. Just some food for thought. ;))

Without the rest of us seeing the stones, and the GIA reports, we can only give vague guesses as to why the dealer priced them differently.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I understand your confusion; it is puzzling. Why not ask the vendor? Can't do any harm, might be informative, and will give you an idea of his/her selling philosophy. I wouldn't be able to contain my curiosity. It's a perfectly intelligent question & will let the vendor know that you are a thinking customer, which can only be to your advantage.

As for which to buy, take the one you like best if it fits your budget & you don't think it's overpriced. (Talking to the seller about pricing per carat may help you decide whether the one you want is or is not overpriced.) If one grabs you & you think the price reasonable for what it is, go for it -- you (I presume) will be wearing it.

I'd love to hear what the seller says about cost if you do ask!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many reasons why one vendor will price it differently than another if the 2 stones are very similar looking:
1. Original cost of stone - stones procured earlier cost less.
2. Overhead - store rent, advertising, customer service salaries, etc.
3. Profit margin

That said, without accurate pictures, none here can say stone A is potentially better than stone B, colour-wise. GIA only tells you that it is untreated and genuine, nothing more and nothing less. It says nothing about colour quality, which is what sets the bulk of the price for coloured stones.

A few things to consider that you have not mentioned:
1. Colour shifting under different lights, which will have an impact of pricing
2. Fluorescence
3. Extinction

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
burberryqueen|1407213200|3726256 said:

Sorry I was not clear. I was trying to say that you are not concerned about the authenticity, in the context of the GIA reports.

I think the suggestion to just ask the dealer is reasonable. You may also want to view the stones under different light conditions. A to pink spinel from Mahenge should fluoresce red, and therefore should become more intense in color under sunlight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results